autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question What's the biggest thing you're struggling with in your business?

Hi Everyone,

Quick question as a survey to see if we can help eachother with our biggest struggles. What's the biggest thing you're struggling with your detailing business right now?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's the biggest thing you're struggling with in your business?

Capacity work load.I won't hire anyone,tried that deosnt work for me.so when people call it's 2 to 3 weeks wait.The ones who call from a referral will wait.People who call from the number on the van or gas station inquiries won't.IF my annual income number stays the same or around,I have no complaints.weather can be frustrating in the summer with rain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WashEngineer View Post
    Do you have another detailer in your area who you trust or could sub-contract the work too? That way they're still "your" customers and you can retain them for the future when perhaps you're less busy...and you don't have to worry about employee wages, fees, etc. You can structure an agreement with them so they don't steal your customers AND you can make money from people that don't take up any of your time.
    Do you have another detailer in your area who you trust or could sub-contract the work too? That way they're still "your" customers and you can retain them for the future when perhaps you're less busy...and you don't have to worry about employee wages, fees, etc. You can structure an agreement with them so they don't steal your customers AND you can make money from people that don't take up any of your time.

Post Thanks / Like

For me(and for other mobile detailers in my area I guess) it's the darn Winter. I do not own a garage so I'm forced to work about 5 months per year. Then there is the rain that also prevents me from detailing. And this year, Spring doesn't seem to be in a hurry.

Post Thanks / Like

That can be very frustrating when doing this to put food on the table.Not so much if you are doing this for a few extra bucks on a sat or sun.

Post Thanks / Like

Establishing a steady client list. Granted, I'm in the worst possible location to have an upscale detailing salon. We will see if this move to Nashville next year will help. Has anyone used facebook ads? results? comments?

Post Thanks / Like

For me it's always getting new clients.

I have worked on my SEO for a while and will be using ads on Facebook and Google in about a week or two. So hopefully the combination of the 2 will improve the number of calls I get.

So far all the calls I have been getting this week is for things I do not do: One guys wanted me to work on his tramission LOL, an other guys called be because there is rust Inside his headlight??? Then this guy today wanted me to remove the water Inside his headlights. I have watched a few videos and removing water and condensation then sealing the headlight with a silicone product seems pretty easy, so I am thinking of adding that to my service list. My only worry is not being able to remove all the headlights, some might have complicated assembly to the vehicle... any of you guys do this?

Weather is almost ok to start taking clients, just a few more degrees and I will start scheduling. It's frustrating at this time of year when you are pretty much ready to start but can't

Post Thanks / Like

Weather currently. Being April in Canada, things are volatile but I have had to be flexible in scheduling etc to accommodate. Things should be turning though. Getting new clients is always a challenge... I went in to a local HIGHLY reputable mechanic and asked him if I could give him some cards. He said sure and had two vehicles ready for me to do. He is purchasing some retired security vehicles (2011 Escapes and Fiestas) and is fixing them and flipping them. I now do all of the detailing on them before sale. He also had me do his wife's grungy Hyundai and was floored at the results. I have had a few calls already on his referrals. I also connected with the local dent and tint guy for the same purpose. I have gotten about 10 cars just through them. Incredible and free.

Facebook has been interesting. I have not actually paid for advertising, but in my city, they have this "Free Stuff" and "Buy and Sell" forum where people look for things etc. Someone posted looking for a detailer and this mechanic mentioned my name on there. Fast forward and I have done a bunch of vehicles through that. I think customer acquisition is definitely number 1. After reading some threads on AG I have to start narrowing down my market I think.

A detailing business is always a work in progress and I am keeping track of what is working. One thing I can say is that you NEVER know who you will connect with. I had a dude come out to provide me a quote on a storm door. Simple enough. I was working on a car when he arrived and he mentioned he wanted to get his personal truck done. Wow ok thats great! Then he mentions they are doing a huge grand opening at the end of May and told me I could set up a table and a vehicle there so I could meet some potential clients. Who knows what will come of it but I never would have had the opportunity if I had not called them to give ME a quote. I guess what I am saying is that I have to constantly be wearing my company shirt and letting people know about the services. Have been really fortunate so far.

I look forward to reading what others have to say on the matter. I have been amazed at how much information is available and real life experiences shared. Thank you guys you have really helped!
    Pete's Pro Mobile Detailing
    "Keepin' the Shine in the 519"
    519-546-9277 | www.petesprodetailing.ca | www.facebook.com/petesprodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, no one can change the weather...since you're in Canada it's much too cold to wash outdoors during winter...but light rain days perhaps you could use a tent?

Alternatively, you could try to barter with someone who has an autobody shop that isn't doing so well, and propose a revenue sharing rent structure...they way they only make money if you make money...which lowers the risk for you...if you get a lot of customers though, it could be more expensive in the short-term, but will keep your customers more engaged with you in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerDetails View Post
    For me(and for other mobile detailers in my area I guess) it's the darn Winter. I do not own a garage so I'm forced to work about 5 months per year. Then there is the rain that also prevents me from detailing. And this year, Spring doesn't seem to be in a hurry.

Post Thanks / Like

Facebook ads can be successful if that's where your target customers are. If this is something you want to try out, then do a test run. The great thing about facebook, google, twitter ads is that you can set a cap on how much money you want to spend. Test out a couple different ad layouts and words at a time and really concentrate on who your target customers are.

Hope the move to Nashville proves successful. Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by SKorch630 View Post
    Establishing a steady client list. Granted, I'm in the worst possible location to have an upscale detailing salon. We will see if this move to Nashville next year will help. Has anyone used facebook ads? results? comments?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast