autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Topping - Definition - How to Top also called Topping

Topping - Definition - How to Top also called Topping

Note: This is a updated version of the original article I wrote in July of 2004

Topping - Definition
    The practice of applying a different type of wax or paint sealant over a first application of a wax or paint sealant to either create a thicker and more durable layer of protection or to create a deep, wet-look shine and normally both.

The normal practice is to apply a synthetic paint sealant first to lay down a long lasting layer of protection and then follow this with an application of a Carnauba Wax to add yet another layer, (of wax), to protect the layer of synthetic paint sealant and to also give the paint the warmth, depth and richness of color that Carnauba waxes are famous for creating in the show car circuit.

Topping requires that the second product not have any type of cleaning agents, be they chemical cleaners, abrasives or even harsh solvents as these types of ingredients will act to remove the first layer of sealant, which would defect the purpose of topping.

I don't know when the practice of topping was first started, it could go back as far as the early days of car wax with some guys applying Blue Coral over Simonize or visa-versa, applying Simonize over Blue Coral to squeeze out every little bit of shine possible on their Model T or Model A.

Don't kid yourself, Car Guys are Car Guys whether they were waxing their cars back in the old days or here in the present. If we're doing it now days you know they were probably doing it back in the old days.

Vintage Blue Coral Wax

Vintage Simonize Wax

An early car wash and detail shop

An early auto repair shop that offers detailing

Topping in my detail business
    I began topping in the early 1990's before the Internet was introduced so I didn't know what I was doing was called topping I just did it because in my brain it seemed to make sense, that is lay down a layer of a long lasting synthetic paint sealant for protection and then over it apply a second coating using a different product to both protect the first layer from wear-n-tear but to also create a true swirl-free, show car finish and depending upon the second product, perhaps create a different look to the end-results.

In my case, I was applying Meguiar's M20 Polymer Sealant first and then topping it with M16 Professional Paste Wax. Whether in reality this practice worked or not I don't know, what I do know is all my work came out looking just like I wanted it to look and that was a swirl-free, show car finish under any lighting conditions.

The tipping point
    The practice of topping became popular in the online detailing world a few years after detailing forums came into existence which is around the year 2002 or so for actual GUI software and not Usenet Newsgroups. Point being is that through the ability of discussion forums to quickly spread information to the masses, techniques like jewelling, edging or topping can go from obscurity to mainstream overnight.

Discussion Forums - A relatively "new" invention...

How to correctly top one product with another product

Step 1 - Apply the synthetic sealant
    The normal and accepted practice of topping means to first seal the paint using a synthetic paint sealant. Before applying the paint sealant be sure to read and follow the manufactures directions. Some manufactures recommend that their product only be applied after any polishing oils or fillers have been removed and this is done by either washing the car using a detergent car wash soap or by chemically stripping the paint using something like IPA, Mineral Spirits or a dedicated product just for this procedure.

See these two articles for more information on the topic of preparing paint for a synthetic paint sealant, car wax or paint coating.

Synthetic Paint Sealant first, Carnauba Wax second
    Because the established forum consensus on the topic of wax bonding is that a synthetic paint sealant needs a surgically clean surface in order for the protection ingredients to properly bond, the normal practice of topping is done by first applying the synthetic paint sealant.

Whether it's true or not that the paint must be stripped down to a clean base in order for "all" paint sealants to properly bond is an emotional topic that will start a "Wax War" on a discussion forums if you're not careful. Of course like many procedures related to car detailing, most of what anyone does is due to personal preference and personal opinion.

This is why I state above to follow the manufactures recommendation, not some anonymous form member posting under a fictitious nickname as the manufacture tends to know their product best. Then make your own decision whether or not to chemically strip the paint before applying your choice of synthetic paint sealant.

Since the primary concern at this first step it for the synthetic paint sealant to bond to the paint and there really is no other consideration, it is my personal opinion that it doesn't matter if the synthetic paint sealant, (or hybrid), is a non-cleaning sealant or a pure sealant. It is however important that the second product to be used offers no cleaning ability but it really doesn't matter for the first product.

Example of the right order
    Back when I use to practice topping I would apply M20 first to the paint I just finished polishing without first chemically stripping the paint. M20 Polymer Sealant is a "light" cleaner/wax or cleaner/sealant for the D.O. among us and I found the light cleaners to help clean the surface of any excess polishing oils from the polishing step plus help the polymers to bite or better bond onto the polished paint. After allowing the M20 to dry I would then remove it and apply the M16 Professional Paste Wax.

Step 2 - Allow first product to fully dry or cure
    After you have applied your first choice of product, follow the manufactures directions for drying or curing time before moving onto the next step. Some manufacturers recommend a window of time for their protection ingredients to fully set-up and bond to the paint. Some manufacturers use the term crosslinking but we shouldn't use that specific term for all synthetic paint sealants as not all companies share how their protection ingredients do their magic and stick to the paint.

For example I've heard of the term hydrogen bonding as a method that some protection ingredients use to bond to paint.

Step 3 - Remove residue from paint sealant
    After the recommended time has passed for your first paint sealant to dry and cure go ahead and wipe any residue off carefully. At this level of the game you want to avoid instilling any toweling marks. Now you're ready to apply your topper.

Step 4 - Test your Topper
    If you've never tried topping before and are thinking you would like to apply a topper over your first choice of protection product, here's a friendly tip... test to a small area before your top the entire finish.

Before you apply your choice of a topper over the entire car, first do a side-by-side test so you can inspect and compare the results between the two different sections of paint to ensure that the test area does in fact look better than the first product by itself.

It's possible, your choice of a topper might not improve the appearance results created by the first product but if you apply your choice of a topper to the entire car without comparing, you will never know if your choice of topper improved or dulled the results created by the first product all by itself.

So based upon my experience in topping, I would strongly recommend testing your choice for a topper to one small area before applying to the entire vehicle.

How to test your topper
    Find a nice flat panel like the hood or trunk lid, you want to use a panel that you can look down on the finish while standing over it.

Test using a small section
    Apply your choice of a topper to a small section of paint about one foot square being careful to do so in a way as to have a very distinct section with only the topper in this section.

Allow the topper to dry according to the manufacturer's instructions and the remove using a clean, dry microfiber polishing towel.

After you have carefully applied and removed your choice of a topper it's time to inspect the results.

Step 5 - Inspect the results
    Now you want to inspect the two areas under different lighting conditions. Different lighting conditions will allow your eyes to see the different dimensions of your finish, such as richness, gloss, shine and clearness or clarity.

View the two areas from different angles, from directly overhead, and with a light source centered in the area, like the sun. You may also want to have some friends compare the two areas also, a second set of fresh eyes may see something you miss, especially after you've been working on the finish and staring at the paint for hours.

After doing this side-by-side comparison test in one small area, your eyes tell you whether or not the paint that has been topped looks worse, the same or better and at this point you can then decide if you want to continue with applying the topper to the entire finish.

Step 6 - Apply your topper to the entire finish
    If you like the appearance results created by topping your first choice of product by your topper then the next step is to apply the topper to the entire finish.

Key point...
    Unless you test first to a small section and then inspect and compare the results, there's no way to tell if your choice for a topper took the results created from the first product to a higher appearance level, remained the same or for some reason diminished or dulled the results from the first product, so test first.

And that's how you do what's called topping...

Hope this helps...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Topping - Definition - How to Top also called Topping

Great Read Mike! My car is fortunate to have crossed your path in life and thanks you profusely. I've been practicing this technique whereby I strip about the same time I change my oil in the car. Then, sealant and top off with wax. Nothing sticks! Dust blows off while driving.

I find it so easy to clean/wash the car. Just the weight of the wash pad is enough for anything that tries to stick to the paint. Rinseless washes are a breeze. Applying additional spray waxes between oil changes are easy...

Thanks for the education. My cars have never looked better....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx for this one Mike.

I musta missed this when you first posted it.

Bill

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Rencor View Post
    Great Read Mike! My car is fortunate to have crossed your path in life and thanks you profusely. I've been practicing this technique whereby I strip about the same time I change my oil in the car. Then, sealant and top off with wax. Nothing sticks! Dust blows off while driving.

I find it so easy to clean/wash the car. Just the weight of the wash pad is enough for anything that tries to stick to the paint. Rinseless washes are a breeze. Applying additional spray waxes between oil changes are easy...

Thanks for the education. My cars have never looked better....
    Thanks for the kind words Rene, you've become a top notch machine polishing craftsman and I would trust you with any tool on any car for any procedure.

Also, every time I see your Camaro it look AWESOME!

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Thanx for this one Mike.

I musta missed this when you first posted it.

Bill

Sometimes I read through some of my articles and there are no replies or only a few and I figure either there's no interest, there's nothing for anyone to add or ask or it flew under the radar...

It's all good... as long as I can remember them and then share them where needed that's my priority...

Post Thanks / Like
    Great write up! Mike does your book have everything I need to know about detailing??
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jomax View Post
    Great write up! Mike does your book have everything I need to know about detailing??
    Everything you need to know from the very start to the very end as it applies to,

• Knowledge about paint
    • Car Washing
    • Inspecting and evaluating to figure out what you need to do to get to where you want to be
    • Claying
    • And then everything about machine polishing with a DA Polisher, the most popular polisher and the one the majority of people purchase when moving up from working by hand to working by machine.

More to come...

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mike! Great write up. I really appreciate your desire to help us by making things seem less complicated. That increases my confidence in tackling many detailing projects.
    Rick
    Like my company on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/TheSimmondsGroup

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This truly was an extremely beneficial article. Thanks Mike.
    I read so many threads that I find it difficult to comment on all that deserve recognition.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike,

I am new to this forum and this is my very first post. But the reason I am here and can’t wait to start my first detailing job is because of your videos. You have changed my 30 year long misconception about car detailing. I used to think this is a “painful” process that I will never do it myself. Now, I really believe this is going to be a fun and enjoyable part of my life. Plus, I know it will make me feel so good and pride each time when I drive my cars from now on. So thanks again…

So for my 1st project on a black Prius, I am planning to do the following:
    1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. Swirl Removal
    4. Finishing Polish
    5. Glaze
    6. Topping with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 for the 1st layer
    a. Buff off after 30-45 mins
    b. Let Sealant to cure for 12 hrs (overnight)

7. Apply Wolfgang Füzion Estate Wax as the 2nd topping.

So here are my questions:
    A) After 12 hours of step 6b and ready to apply wax the next morning, if the car has some dust sitting on the sealant surface over the night (my garage is really dusty), what will be the best way to remove the dust/small particles before applying wax? Should I use pre-wax cleansing polish (such as Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer) OR use quick detailer or wipe it with a dry microfiber towel?
    B) Along the entire process from washing to waxing, it will employ lots of pads, microfiber towels, mitts, and applicators. What will be the best way to clean them without causing cross contamination among them? (given I have purchased different types of cleaner for pads vs microfiber.)
    C) Is it necessary to mark down the “purpose” of each pad and towel so that I can reuse them with the proper solution next time?

Thanks,
    Joseph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast