autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best coating for hard black plastic

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Paint them satin black less maintenance.
    Crispy and I have a grand prix so I understand him finding something good to use on the grilles. I had another set that was painted in satin black and the stock one's look much better. I ended up switching back to them.

Crispy I would look into air brushing it like carolinas finest suggested if you wish to use a coating. Or you could get some type of detailing stick to apply the coating to the honey comb. Would be a little more tedious.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll share a couple of options that I use and have had great experiences with.

CarPro DLUX
    The best of the lot durability is solid, finish is nice; A bit on the expensive side. Per the packaging it is considered semi-permanent which is a fair statment.

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant
    Available in a much larger bottle this is a great plastic and trim option as well. I've had some clients bring me their cars with stained trim and plastic from the dealership detailer. After cleaning and scrubbing with APC I covered it up with WGETS and its held up for several months time and after time

CarPro PERL
    Less durable that the above two but just as good. It covers engine, plastic, rubber, rubber trim, etc. I would rank it 3rd on these if you're looking for durability.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Crispy and I have a grand prix so I understand him finding something good to use on the grilles. I had another set that was painted in satin black and the stock one's look much better. I ended up switching back to them.

Crispy I would look into air brushing it like carolinas finest suggested if you wish to use a coating. Or you could get some type of detailing stick to apply the coating to the honey comb. Would be a little more tedious.
    The grills are out of the car and in perfect new condition.

I have an air brush so never thought of using it to apply coatings (good idea).

SiO2 products I have are not sold by AG so I did not mention them, but the 1 I have bonds electrostatically(- to +) and doesn't work on plastic).
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    I have no experience with it, just what I've read and seen around.

But, I think the best option, if they are in good condition, would be to "spray on" a coat of Gloss Coat if you could.

Next, maybe that really durable spray on glossy coating that Meg's has. I can't remember which one it is, but if they are out of the vehicle, it may be a good option.
    I would spray Gloss Coat but that would use alot of product(like 1 syringe at 90.00).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    The grills are out of the car and in perfect new condition.

I have an air brush so never thought of using it to apply coatings (good idea).

SiO2 products I have are not sold by AG so I did not mention them, but the 1 I have bonds electrostatically(- to +) and doesn't work on plastic).
    I thought the gtechniq trim sealant you had was C4 trim coating. That would have been the way to go since it's in a bottle.

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    I would spray Gloss Coat but that would use alot of product(like 1 syringe at 90.00).
    Ask Yvan Lacroix or Dann Williams (Optimum reps) about cutting it with Xylene to spray.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

Best coating for hard black plastic

Some of those products you listed make bold claims to last alot longer... But IME I've seen plastic treated with them only a couple months out and I can't even tell there's anything on there...

This may have to be re applied more often, but IMO nothing provides the pop quite like it. Plus it's super easy to use on honeycomb grills. Only takes a few seconds to spray.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-pla...l-coating.html

Before:

After:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Some of those products you listed make bold claims to last alot longer... But IME I've seen plastic treated with them only a couple months out and I can't even tell there's anything on there...

This may have to be re applied more often, but IMO nothing provides the pop quite like it. Plus it's super easy to use on honeycomb grills. Only takes a few seconds to spray.

Meguiars Plastic & Vinyl Coating, exterior trim coating, trim dressing, vinyl protectant

Before:

After:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks promising but can't ship aerosol to Canada.

Maybe source in Canada?

Post Thanks / Like

Can you get Trim Shine aerosol locally? I haven't tried it, but from what I hear it's very similar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I thought the gtechniq trim sealant you had was C4 trim coating. That would have been the way to go since it's in a bottle.
    I do have the C4 Permanent Trim Coating and it might be the answer.

I will consider using a Q-Tip and painstakingly apply it one drop at a time (it does go a long way on my other trim I have done on the car).

I find it has lasted 8 months on my trim around the front and rear window mouldings.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast