autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

And The Best Trim Restorer / Protectant is...*Drum Roll*....

....The one you like and use often!

I can hear the crowd now....

Blasphemy!........Off with his head!...Nano C9V4v9 Hardness9 TrimSkin is the best!...

I'd hate to be the one to break it to you, but nothing lasts forever. I'm a low-tech guy that likes to keep it simple (I would still have a flip phone if society would accept it), so even with the HUGE selection of trim protectants, trim restorers and trim coatings that all claim to be the best, I keep finding myself going back to a good ol' fashioned aerosol trim spray, more specifically McKee's 37 Trim Detailer. Why? Because I like the plastic, rubber and vinyl trim on my vehicle to always look freshly detailed. If my day was consumed with worrying about how long the fancy trim coating I applied would last, then I would be missing the point of this hobby altogether! If you LIKE any given part of your vehicle to look GREAT, then find something you like and use it often - Mike Phillips.

First and foremost, it's not a coating and you're lucky if it lasts more than six weeks. Aerosol trim sprays are not for everyone. Would I use this product on a customer's vehicle if they paid me big bucks to detail it? Absolutely not. I would use a trim coating, like GTechniq C4, GYEON Q2 Rim, Solution Finish, the list goes on! I would also use the aforementioned coatings on an older, neglected vehicle with severely faded trim. Why? Because I would want to apply something that makes the trim look new for a long time. If my neighbor paid me to wash his car every other weekend, then I would use McKee's 37 Trim Detailer.

I wash my car weekly, so durability is of absolutely NO concern to me whatsoever. My goal, after I wash my car, is for it to look like I just spent hours detailing it.

If you want to take the SIMPLE approach to caring for the plastic, rubber and vinyl trim on your vehicle, consider McKee's 37 Trim Detailer. Check out the demonstration below on Todd's Kia Soul.

WOW look at that mouth...errr....grille! The front end of the Kia Soul is covered in a sea of black plastic that, if not properly cared for, will turn gray over time.

Here's my favorite part about McKee's 37 Trim Detailer: it's EASY to use. Can you image if I were to apply a conventional liquid dressing to the honey-comb grille on the Soul? It would take FOREVER.

Apply it thick or thin - McKee's 37 Trim Detailer dries to the touch. If you accidentally apply it too thick, wipe off any excess with a clean microfiber towel.

A lot of new cars and trucks have some type of decorative plastic trim on the fender. You can't beat an aerosol for this application.

OOPS! Some got on the paint. Now what? You can either wipe it off with a clean, soft microfiber towel OR, my preferred method which is to use a detail spray. Here I'm using McKee's 37 High Gloss Detail Spray and a Super Plush Microfiber Towel.

McKee's 37 Trim Detailer also makes for an excellent tire shine (it's glossier than most gels and sprays).

Turn ugly wheel wells into black master pieces....

If you have a new(er) vehicle and your goal is to keep it looking its absolute BEST at all times, McKee's 37 Trim Detailer will quickly earn its spot on your rack of "top shelf" detailing supplies. This is how I care for the plastic trim on my personal vehicle. I would encourage you to find something you like and use it often!

McKee's 37 Trim Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: And The Best Trim Restorer / Protectant is...*Drum Roll*....

Way to add some humor to the review Nick. Way to go. Had me laughing!

Very nice review! The aerosol would make it incredibly easy to use and cover intricate areas/designs such as the honeycomb grill.

Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Nick. I have been an avid user of these type of products ever since Stoner trim shine came out long ago. I recently bought a few cans of the McKee's and the Meg's to compare the looks and durability. I also use them on the complex honeycomb grilles and dead looking wheel wells like you did in this review.

Post Thanks / Like

For areas like the side mirror mounts and trim around windows, does spraying the product on a rag and then applying it manually work too? I'd rather not spray product all over my windows when trying to protect the trim.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple other popular options for frequent or infrequent trim care:

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant - Durability ranges from 6 to 12 months. A lot of people apply this on a bi-monthly basis so they're trim looks fresh and new all the time. It is by far the easiest and most forgiving trim sealant/restorer to apply.

Solution Finish - Durability ranges from 12 - 24 months. More of a "set it and forget it" type of product. This works especially well on daily drivers that are exposed to the elements 24/7/365.

GTechniq C4 - Durability ranges from 12-24 months. This is a true nano-coating. I've found this product to work especially well on "finicky" (read: Ford) plastic trim.

I personally recommend all of the products listed above. The most important thing to remember is that frequent trim care is easy trim care, so no matter which product you choose, apply it more often than its stated durability.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you. I like the spray aerosol type trim products. I current like the griots product but McKees looks similar. They are so easy to use the longevity issue is a non issue.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't agree more Nick. I like the Meguiars aersol plastic spray as well as the Stoners trim shine. All similar products! I use them all the time for grill vents and cowls etc.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Nick!! I totally agree - they all achieve the same thing. That is to blacken or dress the trim.

Would it be bad if you leave some trim detailer on the paint?
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Great review Nick!! I totally agree - they all achieve the same thing. That is to blacken or dress the trim.

Would it be bad if you leave some trim detailer on the paint?
    I'd like to know the ramifications as well