autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: California Duster myths

Used one for years on the company vehicles, never really saw any micro marring that so many worried about. However was still afraid to use it on my personal vehicles, just did not want to take the chance.

That said with all the new versions of rinseless washes and how quick and EZ they are, have not used the duster in awhile but still have it in the cabinet.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO they are fine to use just as long as you do the proper technique. I no longer use the dustbuster but when I did I just gently brushed over the panels. Very easy to use and I agree with the OP
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I use it and it works for me. You must use a light touch

Post Thanks / Like

I've spoken to plenty of folks with garage queens with flawless paint who've been using them for a very long time with no problems. Garage queens being the key point. Remember, it's called the California Duster, not the California Quik Detailer, or the California Waterless Wash.. Unless you've got a car that basically almost never gets driven [which I personally don't] then your opinions are just that, opinions. I'll trust the word of people who successfully use them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quoting Killerwheels from another forum

"Trouble is the paraffin wax captures dirt, sand, and other items and then you rub it against paint. Its not worth the risk ...."

Post Thanks / Like

And this is something I posted on a different forum as well

Well, it's pollen season here: And I've seen a lot of suggestion just to use a duster.

This is after 1 night/day after being cleaned.

This is 1 hour after being washed for a car show:

So what do you think? A quick sweep with a duster ?!?!?! (oh so gentle sweep?)

Before you think you can do it scratch free............ This is what pollen looks like

It is just my opinion, that no matter how light a touch you have, that this WILL induce scratching/marring.

My suggestion = Wash it, or rinseless wash it. IF it were less, I might even consider a waterless wash, but I like to be more careful.

Post Thanks / Like

But the dirtier it gets the better it works!

Post Thanks / Like

California Duster myths

My 1st question would be, what is your garage queen doing outside? Auction today? Carshow? Otherwise, why would you even consider it a candidate for a duster?

It's going out for a carshow? Then of course it'd be best to clean it another way. But if it's been sitting inside of your garage for the past 6 days, I can see how using a California Duster would be an option over wiping it down with a spray & towel.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had used my Califonia Duster for years on my '65 GTO without ever noticing any added scratches or swirls. It only took a minute or two to clean the car before a ride or during a car show. It takes a little more time, but now I only use Speed Shine and an Eagle Edgeless microfiber. As soon as I got on this forum I stopped using my California Duster. You guys have made me way to paranoid about adding any kind of scratches or swirls to my garage queen. I've also become a lot more educated as to what to look for and how to notice even the slightest of differences in my paint.
    By the way, those pictures of pollen are Scary!

Post Thanks / Like

I use one without issue. Like most have already pointed out the "perfect" situation is a garage queen with light dust. I prefer a ww or QD but if I'm short on time I hit it lightly with the duster and move on. Pollen......No way for me. That always gets a generous waterless wipe down. The California duster has its place. I have the large model duster and only use it on my CHallenger. Lol my wife asked me the other day where that "dust wipe thing" was for her car..."Um.... well it's like this honey, I'll just wash your car"
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast