autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which machine

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

which machine

I have never done any detailing but am looking to keep my newer ride nice looking. I would like something I can learn with to keep my paint nice and shiney. I also have an older mini van that I would like to try and touch up some scratches so I will do some wet sanding and would like to polish the van afterwards, is it possible to do this with the same machine? I was thinking either the pc 7424 xp or meguires g110v2 are either of these acceptable for my scenarios. Again I have zero experience so I am trying to balance ease of use and functionality.

Thanks for your input.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: which machine

Go Griots ..
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danube View Post
    Go Griots ..
    Just out of curiosity why this over the others? Where I am completely fresh if you guys could explain why one machine is a better choice for me over the other it will make my buying decision much easier. Again thanks for your help

Also if you guys want to throw out ideas of which package I should start with to accompany the machine I am looking for I am all ears. I know everyone has their personal favorite polishes etc. but I am looking for a starting point to keep my daily driver as nice as I can.

Post Thanks / Like

The Griot's DA has more power than the Porter Cable for sure. But if you are just keeping your vehicles clean I would stick with the Porter Cable. Mine has been going strong. You really can't go wrong with either, they all use the same principle of a Dual Action motion.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like
    The PC is a very durable machine and works well. To me, the GG feels less durable but Griot's does offer a lifetime warranty. The GG has more power so time saving. As others say, you really can't go wrong with either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert8194 View Post
    The PC is a very durable machine and works well. To me, the GG feels less durable but Griot's does offer a lifetime warranty. The GG has more power so time saving. As others say, you really can't go wrong with either.
    +1 That lifetime warranty is pretty hard to beat.
    Fred R. Elias Jr.
    Warren, MI. 48091
    1-586-755-1245

Post Thanks / Like

I just traded a friend my porter cable for his Griots and love it. It's got more power, is faster, feels better in my hand and I love the loop handle it has. You can also pay an extra 20 buck or so and get the 25 foot extention, which I would recommend. Plus as mentioned the lifetime warranty. I think the Griots has gotten overlooked some but it is top notch in my opionion.

Post Thanks / Like

if you order it direct from griots, you can use for 180 days (6 months) and if you don't like it, you can send it back for credit or full refund. what more could you ask for...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dan,

Both are quality machines and will serve you well. Porter Cable was the first and everyone followed suit and I think Meguiar's came out with there's next..

Personally, I have the Porter Cable 7424 1st generation. I would say it's about 12 years old and going strong to this day. While I used to use it for correcting it's main roll is now applying sealants and waxes as I've upgraded to the Flex 3401.

My Porter Cable 7424 still sees plenty of action and when I need to switch back and forth because of space constraints or products and pads it's right there in the mix...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

upon researching I heard the griots can not use smaller backing plates as their backing plate design is different from the other manufactures. according to what I read they do not have the same center post design as the pc. can someone who has the griots confirm this? also is that a big deal to any of you? Is 1 size pad fine for all uses?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast