autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clearcoat Fracturing versus Clearcoat Failure

The part about the insurance covering it, or not, might be something you'd be better served by asking your insurance agent. There could be a couple of draw backs...

1) Your paint man could pocket $1000 AND get paid by the insurance. That's a loss on your part, and I'd want to know. You'll likely get some good advice hear as to what is legit and what isn't.

2)Speaking to an insurance agent could botch getting the car painted at all, or worse, cost you more than the $1000 to get it painted. Sort of a catch 22 if you know what I mean.

Whether they have to strip the paint to the metal, or not, is a question I'll leave for Mr. Phillips. I wouldn't think they'd have to take it that for, but you never know what reasons a painter might have for doing such.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    The part about the insurance covering it, or not, might be something you'd be better served by asking your insurance agent. There could be a couple of draw backs...

1) Your paint man could pocket $1000 AND get paid by the insurance. That's a loss on your part, and I'd want to know. You'll likely get some good advice hear as to what is legit and what isn't.

2)Speaking to an insurance agent could botch getting the car painted at all, or worse, cost you more than the $1000 to get it painted. Sort of a catch 22 if you know what I mean.

Whether they have to strip the paint to the metal, or not, is a question I'll leave for Mr. Phillips. I wouldn't think they'd have to take it that for, but you never know what reasons a painter might have for doing such.
    Yeah, the painter said he would do the job without stripping it but he would not warranty the work. If I have the car stripped he will offer me lifetime warranty.

He was referred to me from a friend but he sounds a little shady. I would really like to know if he is being legitimate or not.

Post Thanks / Like

So the question remains if he's really reputable, or not, and who says he's reputable? You need to see some of this painters work, and *you* need to be satisfied with what you see.

Obviously, a Better Business Bureau rating/membership can say a lot about a prospective service provider. So, you can always check with the BBB to see if they're a member.

I suppose that my advice would be to proceed with caution and ask plenty of questions as you go.
    Bill

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by STI4Life06 View Post

Mike,

I have a Subaru Leagcy that had been repainted some time ago by a previous owner and it now has "crows feet", looks exactly like what Marc posted above.

Recently, someone had keyed my entire car and now I am trying to get a repaint under my insurance. I went to a reputable body shop today and they told me it will cost me out of pocket $1k to have them repaint it since he would have to chemically strip the paint all the way down to bare metal because of the crows feet and the insurance will not cover it.

My question: is that really true?

Will they need to strip the paint entirely?
    The reason he wants to strip the paint down to bare metal in order to offer a warranty is so that he knows 100% for sure there are no previous paint issues that will cause problems down the road.

He's smart. He knows the only way to warranty his work is to make sure it's done right the second time. (First repaint being what the previous owner had done).

Quote Originally Posted by STI4Life06 View Post
    Yeah, the painter said he would do the job without stripping it but he would not warranty the work. If I have the car stripped he will offer me lifetime warranty.

He was referred to me from a friend but he sounds a little shady. I would really like to know if he is being legitimate or not.

Sounds to me like he knows what he's doing. Just a guess on my part, but he's probably been down this road in the past and it's bitten him in the rear.

He's learned from a past mistake. Don't warranty other people's work. By this I mean, if he doesn't strip down to bare metal, this means the other guys work will be under his work, so in essence, if he were to offer a warranty on his work, it would also be offering another warranty on the other guy's work.

Again, sounds to me like he knows what he's doing.

The biggest problem I see with body shops isn't so much the prep and paint, it's the sanding and polishing afterwards. This is where you get holograms because most body shops either don't know how to finish out swirl free or figure if they're not getting paid for the extra time, labor and materials to finish out swirl free they're not going to do it.

Plus keep in mind, the majority of people on earth, this would include "body shop customers" don't know the difference between a squirrel and a swirl. So body shops don't normally have people coming back and complaining about holograms. Only when the customer belongs to a forum like this do they have to step up their game.

The difference between a swirl and squirrel

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike! I appreciate your opinion!

Post Thanks / Like

Question about clear coat cracking. On my Mom's 2002 Explorer, there is clear coat cracking on the hood. My question is, would there be a problem if I used a machine polisher on the hood? I am trying to get as much machine practice as possible, but I dont want to do one of her cars if I cant do the whole thing. Im not worried about it not correcting the cracking, I just dont want to cause damage.

Here is a picture:

Super Member Pinpoint_Precision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Hi Mike,

How about this?

*** Image taken from: Cracks in paint(crows feet)? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

It seems like they are calling it crows feet. Now would you consider that clear coat fracture or clear coat failure?

Thanks.
    I've dealt with something very similar to that on a 2010 Acura TL, black color. It was all over the car. This is not the first time I have seen this on Acura TLs raging from 2008 to 2011. I advised the owner to take to the dealership. It was a clear coat problem. They gave him a brand new car. Great topic Mike!
    Pinpoint Precision Auto Detailing
    Modesta Glass Coating | Suntek Ultra PPF

Http://www.pinpointprecisionautodetailing.com

Super Member Anthony@zerboautoworks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My DD is getting bad, Pretty sad because this blue is so nice of a color.

Clearcoat failure
    Clearcoat Fracturing versus Clearcoat Failure-uploadfromtaptalk1365520323955-jpg

And I'm not sure why this is doing it looks like poor quality or macco now its flaking off.
    Clearcoat Fracturing versus Clearcoat Failure-uploadfromtaptalk1365520759419-jpg

Anybody know why this happens?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Jones View Post
    Question about clear coat cracking. On my Mom's 2002 Explorer, there is clear coat cracking on the hood. My question is, would there be a problem if I used a machine polisher on the hood? I am trying to get as much machine practice as possible, but I dont want to do one of her cars if I cant do the whole thing. Im not worried about it not correcting the cracking, I just dont want to cause damage.

Here is a picture:

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all...

I wanted to share something I came across in my shop recently and unfortunately I didn't have the insight to get a before photo of the condition of the hood on this Subaru before jumping right into the sanding of it.

I can however tell you that it initially looked like a combination of clearcoat fracturing and all out clear coat failure. The hood appeared to have clearcoat fracturing in patterns of what can look like sanding marks from side to side all around the hood scoop from the front of the hood all the way to the windshield. The sides of the hood were much less effected by these marks.

All of the effected area also had a whitish haze to it. I explained to the customer what it appeared to be, and showed her another example of what clearcoat fracturing looks like (the trunk lid of my Buick) and she indeed concurred that it looked like the same issue with an added fogginess to it.

I told her of the grim prognosis that fracturing is typically as deep as if not exceedingly deeper than the layer of clear coat and that a repair attempt would only result in a much more glossy rendition of clear coat fracturing, to which attempt she was satisfied.

The hood was very rough and oxidized with all of this assumed clear coat fracturing all over the center 2/3 of the hood so I commenced to wet sanding the hood as a last ditch effort to make the best improvement that could be made.

Here are a few photos....

Rough and quickly machine sanded with 3M, 3 inch 1500 grit discs and no interface pad used.

This photo is after 2 thorough passes using 3M, 3 inch 3000 grit Trizact discs with the foam built in to the disc.

I decided to go with a Cyclo yellow heavy cut foam pad on my Makita rotary to remove the sanding marks. here's a photo of the hood with 3/4 of the sanding marks roughly removed for a little contrast.

This step was followed by a DA compounding using M-105 and an LC UltraFiber disc on speed 6 on my HF DA. This combo can be used to finish down wax ready on most clearcoat finishes.

Here's the end result after the DA compounding step followed by a description of what I figured out during the coarse of this job.

As with lots of things one can come across in detailing and paint correction, there can be misleading evidence of certain conditions. In this particular case it seems that this hood had been replaced and repainted at one time, because what looked like clearcoat fracturing, covered with a healthy dose of foggy looking oxidation, actually was indeed sanding marks from a substandard attempt at a sand and cut of orange peel from (what I can assume by the customer testimony in the end) the Subaru dealer's shoddy body shop workmanship.

It seems the body shop replaced and painted the hood following a crash the customer had 6 months after purchasing the car brand new (about 10 years ago) and then sanded down the orange peel or some other paint defects in the center 2/3 of the hood.

From what I deducted along the way in working on this hood, the dealership body shop then used their famous "smoke and mirrors" fillers to do a halfhearted attempt at removing the sanding marks and instead of removing them completely, just filled them.

Fast forward 10 years and this unfortunate situation finds it's way into my shop and gets repaired correctly. Once again, a true detailer repairing the shoddy work of the giant dealerships.

Thanks for looking. I thought this should be included as a reference in this thread as a situation like this can look exactly like clearcoat fracturing. TD

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast