autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DISO = The Dealership Installed Swirl Option

Big reason why we do it ourselves

Post Thanks / Like

This thread really hits home for me at this time. Even though it's an old thread I'm a new guy so it's new to me.

I just ordered a new black Chevy Colorado Z71 on December 5, 2014. I haven't gotten it yet but hopefully it will be here within the next few weeks. When I ordered it I instructed my salesman that I only want whatever dealer prep work is required by law to be done prior to taking delivery. I told him do not wash the truck, do not remove any of the protective plastic films/floormats, do not remove the window sticker, etc., etc., etc. I even requested that if he knew what day the truck was being delivered that I'd like to be there to watch it come off the hauler. That's a longshot but if it happens it would be pretty cool. The last brand new car I bought was in 1997, a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Coupe, and I did see it come off the hauler. Hopefully that might happen again.

Reading this thread validates my requests and reminds me that I need to start calling my sales guy and reminding him again of my special requests as the delivery date approaches. I want this stuff fresh in his mind when the truck gets there.

Although most of people that I share this with (including my salesman) think I'm F'ng nuts... But I feel right at home sharing it here.

3. Likes RiverDog liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post

Reading this thread validates my requests and reminds me that I need to start calling my sales guy and reminding him again of my special requests as the delivery date approaches.

I want this stuff fresh in his mind when the truck gets there.

Better yet...

Get his e-mail address and send him the link to this thread.

DISO = The Dealership Installed Swirl Option

And this one...

DON'T WASH CAR !!!!!!!!!!!

Subtitle: How to prevent your car dealership from putting swirls and scratches into your car's paint!

5. Likes RiverDog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    This thread really hits home for me at this time. Even though it's an old thread I'm a new guy so it's new to me.

I just ordered a new black Chevy Colorado Z71 on December 5, 2014. I haven't gotten it yet but hopefully it will be here within the next few weeks. When I ordered it I instructed my salesman that I only want whatever dealer prep work is required by law to be done prior to taking delivery. I told him do not wash the truck, do not remove any of the protective plastic films/floormats, do not remove the window sticker, etc., etc., etc. I even requested that if he knew what day the truck was being delivered that I'd like to be there to watch it come off the hauler. That's a longshot but if it happens it would be pretty cool. The last brand new car I bought was in 1997, a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Coupe, and I did see it come off the hauler. Hopefully that might happen again.

Reading this thread validates my requests and reminds me that I need to start calling my sales guy and reminding him again of my special requests as the delivery date approaches. I want this stuff fresh in his mind when the truck gets there.

Although most of people that I share this with (including my salesman) think I'm F'ng nuts... But I feel right at home sharing it here.

You are not nuts. the members and Mike can attest to the horror stories of what your ride could look like when you get it. I always tell them let me make it easy for you , do not touch the paint or wrapped areas or I will not take possession of it. may sound harsh but when you tell them this politely they get the point without any fallout. they are in the business of making a sale and will not take a chance of losing your money.

Post Thanks / Like

No sir you are not nuts. You are just well informed as most of the public is not. Most people these days are more concerned with their FaceBook page and Instagram than with their cars. Sad but true. Heck I had a friend who didn't wash his black Charger for over a year, said he didn't have time, but spent hours daily on FaceBook. Priorities. You did the right thing.

I have a friend who ordered the new NSX. Has no clue to when he will get it, but is on the list. I suggested and he did too: Have the general Manager get the Sales Manager, salesman, Service Manager and the NSX tech to have a meeting where he was going to tell them what he wanted. It was arranged and he walked in and said " Here is what I want or I WONT take delivery of the vehicle and if you won't promise this in writing I will cancel my order and check and go get a Ferrari. He said that however the car came off the truck is the way he wanted get it. White plastic all over it and all. They tried to say by law they had to remove the plastic and prep it, but he said again, I won't pay a penny unless it is left alone period. If they have to mechanically check things thats fine, but NO washing even over the white plastic, no cleaning of glass, no degreasers on the rims, NOTHING. My friend then said he was going to have it transported to his house immediately for a Paint Correction process to be done and prepped for a coating. " The GM said that since this was the first one, then wanted to prep it and have it in their showroom for a few days and thats why they wanted to get it clean. Then tried the excuse that Honda wants this to garner attention. My friend said when the PC was done he had no issue if roped off to have it in the showroom. the GM was not happy anymore and didn't even understand that his Detail shop couldn't do the work correctly. Thinks the same as all dealers and most people - if it shines then it looks good. Really that is what most people think. Sad but true. So keep to your guns and make sure they ALL understand that the vehicle is not to be touched.

I just dropped off the below car for a PPI to see what I need to have done for it to be back to perfect mechanically. Its fine just items like shocks have never been done since new, 1992. I wanted a list of items to buy and repairs to be done. I said I wanted it INSIDE and under a cover at all times or wouldn't leave it there. They said no problem at all and they understand. I also said NO WASHING the car due to a Paint Correction was done and didnt want the finish ruined. Again they said no problem.

Mike helped me out last year with a few issues getting the paint perfect on this car and gave some suggestions privately to me. The car is perfect and for a 1992 car immaculate. Garage Queen for sure. Pics below. The dealer called back and said car was ready. What they didnt know was I drove by last night and checked and sure enough the car was outside unlike they promised. When I pulled in they had the car under a cover but the drivers side was sunlit and the hood had sun. It rained or drizzled yesterday evening too. I looked and sure enough they didnt wash it, but they sure did wipe it down with some kind of towel and you could not only see the swipe marks but the light scratches from the dirt and towel. I was livid. When I talked with them, they swore it was inside till I told them otherwise then they changed the subject. When showing them the scratches they claimed they couldn't even see them. It was nicer than anything else on their lot. Plainly they and many other dealer just don't get it. Don't understand what a Paint Correction is (their rotary users get scratches out too is what they think) and don't know or even have a clue how to take care of it. I went to the back and asked the detailers who wiped the Mustang down and one said I did and the Service writer asked him too. I asked what towel he used and he showed me a White (grey in color well worn) towel that he lightly wiped off the water spots. Even him when shown didnt understand what he did. I gave up, then was told by the SW that they didnt want the car back due to being difficult to work with. I actually wanted them to pay to have it PC'd again but didnt mention it. What liability do they have?????? I wonder if any. Here are the pics before and will have pics after.

Please be kind to the dealers but be forceful and likely you will get what you want, but they could refuse to work on the car if your too difficult. My MB dealer uses my towels to lay on the car while they work on the front to prevent scratching by their plastic covers. .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Velocitybts View Post
    Please be kind to the dealers but be forceful and likely you will get what you want, but they could refuse to work on the car if your too difficult.
    That is the least of my concerns as I'm the only one who works on my stuff. More than likely I won't even take advantage of the two-years free service that come with the car. And god forbid it needs any warranty/recall work - in which case I'll decide if the warranty/recall item is significant enough to take it in, repair myself, or just live with.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Velocitybts View Post

Mike helped me out last year with a few issues getting the paint perfect on this car and gave some suggestions privately to me. The car is perfect and for a 1992 car immaculate. Garage Queen for sure. Pics below.

Wow!

The paint on your car looks AMAZING!

Nice work!

Post Thanks / Like

My mom got a new black MDX...... It's so bad from the dealership. It's got scratches that will require "feather" sanding and rotary holograms all over. My dad placed an order for a new black Carrera S. I don't think he believed me when I told him dealership mess up your cars paint. Said it's too nice of a place for that to happen. He said after I pointed out my mom's new car he believes me and will speak to the dealership to make sure it's not touched. I don't want to spend any more time than necessary on the rear of the Carrera.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

I worked for a Honda dealership about 10 years ago. Started off in wash bay/new car prep then moved in to the parts department when I had the chance.

They had their own swirl-o-matic car wash there that most all of the cars they did service on were run though afterwards by the mechanic, then parked for pick up. Big swirling brushes and the oscillating strips that lay over the car.

For new car prep, we would rip the plastic of everything and wash as normal. One bucket, and several teenagers, and most likely, dirty rags. I think we used wax to get any remaining adhesives off. Not sure how they washed their rags, maybe the uniform service contractor did them?

Before I moved to parts, I was in charge of inspecting the cars as they came off the truck and getting their packets ready. One day an Accord came off the truck, and everything looked fine till we pulled it in to prep it. We pulled the plastic protection off the hood and there was a huge dent from what looked like truck driver or loader had dropped a large heavy chain from the rack above on to it. The plastic had released from the dent and it all looked level before the plastic was removed. This may be part of the reason why they want to remove it there and if they don't then that dent is all yours now.

We never, that I know of, polished or clayed any of the new cars, no matter how long they were on the lot. But the longer they were on the lot, the more times it will have be "touched up" by running through the automatic wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    I worked for a Honda dealership about 10 years ago. Started off in wash bay/new car prep then moved in to the parts department when I had the chance.

They had their own swirl-o-matic car wash there that most all of the cars they did service on were run though afterwards by the mechanic, then parked for pick up. Big swirling brushes and the oscillating strips that lay over the car.

For new car prep, we would rip the plastic of everything and wash as normal. One bucket, and several teenagers, and most likely, dirty rags. I think we used wax to get any remaining adhesives off. Not sure how they washed their rags, maybe the uniform service contractor did them?

Before I moved to parts, I was in charge of inspecting the cars as they came off the truck and getting their packets ready. One day an Accord came off the truck, and everything looked fine till we pulled it in to prep it. We pulled the plastic protection off the hood and there was a huge dent from what looked like truck driver or loader had dropped a large heavy chain from the rack above on to it. The plastic had released from the dent and it all looked level before the plastic was removed. This may be part of the reason why they want to remove it there and if they don't then that dent is all yours now.

We never, that I know of, polished or clayed any of the new cars, no matter how long they were on the lot. But the longer they were on the lot, the more times it will have be "touched up" by running through the automatic wash.

Thanks for sharing your experience working at the dealer. seems like most customers do not care about scratches and swirls in a new car as long as they are shiny. guess that makes the AG members stand out from the crowd being proud of our cars like we have mention the customer can always refuse a car that is not up to their standards when you pay a lot of money for a new car .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast