autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about Jeweling?

Question about Jeweling?

Im gonna jewel my black paint next week and the 2 polishes I have (samples) to do it are, BF gloss enhancing polish and WG finishing glaze 3.0. Has anyone jeweled with either of these before?

I WISH I had some PO85RD but I don't and in reading the BF info, I'm doubting the BF's ability to get the job done......It is for a black car though...

Mike Phillips

Re: Jeweling........

What kind of tool are you using to jewel with?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    What kind of tool are you using to jewel with?

3401 at 5-6K orbits/min.

Mike Phillips

A lot of the chatter on the topic of jewelling states it must be done using a rotary buffer.

I asked for someone else to write the definition for the term for about a year and when no one took the challenge I wrote it. Kind of like when I asked someone else to write an article on how to use IPA to inspect paint for correction results after a year an no takers I took the challenge for that one too...

Here you go... note how the discussion is kept professional although there are differences in opinion. That's my writing style, if I can't back it up I don't post it. So you can be sure when I hit the [Submit Reply] button on any thread I've already looked at each of my words from every angle because I expect a handful of people to always be on the attack. Goes with the world, goes with the forum world.

Jewelling - Definition

Here's the article I didn't want to write on IPA except a handful of people used to get all emotional whenever the subject came up.

How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results

When I wrote the definition I purposefully made the tool choice more encompassing because one thing all the tools we talk about have in common is that all have the ability to rotate a pad. Period.

So whose to say a person with a Flex 3401 using the right pad, product, perfect technique and working clean can't "FINAL POLISH" the paint to squeeze every last little bit of gloss and shine out of their car's paint.

Regardless of the tool, the goal is the same and that is to maximize gloss and clarity while leaving a defect-free finish. A defect-free finish includes leaving a swirl-free or hologram-free finish and when using only rotary buffers I see a lot of people talking about it but never proving it and never sharing with pictures and detailed information how they proved it. Does anyone else see it?

See this thread for full clarification...

NEW --> Hologram Free with a Rotary Buffer

Back to your questions....

What you can and cannot do with the Flex 3401 will come down to mostly your paint as all paints can be a little different.

It's possible with some paints to get great results when jewelling with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze as it contains diminishing abrasives and thus can offer some level of correction ability depending upon the pad, tool and technique.

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 is a fusion of our original Finishing Glaze formula and Menzerna’s Nano Polish. Menzerna developed this hybrid formula exclusively for Wolfgang The goal was to create a finishing polish with more correction ability, without sacrificing shine. That’s what we have with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0. This unique formula blends away 2500 grit sanding marks yet finishes with the gloss and slickness of a fine machine glaze.

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 is a water-based emulsion with ultra fine diminishing abrasives that gently polish the paint to a brilliant gloss. Compounding swirls, mild oxidation, and water spots disappear to reveal glassy smooth, beautiful paint.

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 is gentle enough to use on new OEM paint finishes, yet it is highly effective on hard, ceramic clear coats. The fine, consistently sized abrasives have strength in numbers. The high concentration of microscopic abrasives smooth minor imperfections in ceramic paint and diminish to an ultra fine abrasive dust. Because these abrasives are so small, they will not mar conventional, “softer” clear coats.
    In your example you're going to want to use either a clean, soft finishing pad or jewelling pad on about the 4.0 speed setting and above all... WORK CLEAN.

I cover this in my how-to book but basically you need to clean your pad after each section you buff and/or switch to a clean, unused pad. You also need to make sure the panels of the vehicle are all surgically clean before you start and as you continue working around the car. Make sure there is no residue hiding on the edges of body lines or anywhere else they can be drawn into the buffing process and be trapped between the pad and the paint.

I don't believe it's possible to jewel paint using the Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish because it is non-abrasive and not designed to remover swirls and scratches.

Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish

BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish is a non-abrasive polish, and glaze combination.

Note: BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish is a combination finishing polish and glaze but is not designed to remove swirls, spots or paint defects.

Recomomendation...
    Use your best technique and use your best microfiber towels to wipe-off the spent product so as not to re-introduce any scratches, even micro-scratches back into the paint.

Also... don't rush... this step should take just as long as the first polishing step after the compounding or correction step.

"You cannot rush quality, you cannot do the job faster by simply moving the polisher faster over the paint"

Hope that helps...

5. Likes ironmongoose liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW!! I got all excited reading that!!! Its like GOD himself was talking to me!! Thanks A LOT for that clarification, that cleared up all the holograms in my head about this topic!!

7. Likes ironmongoose liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by nrsk4u View Post

that cleared up all the holograms in my head about this topic!!

That's funny....

For some reason there are some topics related to detailing that get people emotional and this on one of them.

Big picture is what's really important is you're seeing the results you want, hope for and dream about at the end of the day.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for helping me get there!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about Jeweling?

I thought that this post by Todd Helme on jeweling would be helpful: How to jewel your paint the ultimate shine. - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum
    Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy

Post Thanks / Like

I've only used the term "jeweling" in reference to plastics, ie headlights, tail lights, etc because once they've been freed from all surface defects, the way light hits the reflective inner housings, they appear "jeweled."

I don't like that term to be applied to paint, I prefer surface mirroring or paint perfecting if anything other than finish polishing. It all has to do with the final touch given prior to any sealant or wax applications.

And I also believe that a dual action orbital polisher is very capable of this task, when used appropriately. I had fantastic luck with my Flex when when I made the final lap on a GTR with a black CCS pad and Menzerna FF. However, my Makita 9227c, an LC black foam VC pad and 3M's Ultrafine Machine polish is a combo I will never be without.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

So if your not jeweling what are you doing?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast