autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

The Aggressiveness Order of SMAT Products - This might surprise you!

The Aggressiveness Order of SMAT Products - This might surprise you!

Super Micro Abrasive Technology = SMAT
    From left to right, the most aggressive to the least aggressive SMAT products

From the most to the least aggressive...
    M105 Ultra-Cut Compound/M95 Speed Cut Compound = The same in abrading power
    Ultimate Compound
    ScratchX 2.0
    M86 Solo Cut & Polish Cream
    D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream
    SwirlX
    M205 Ultra Finishing Polish

Now instead of SCANNING... (like we're all prone to do on discussion forums), read the below very carefully.

The order shown here is relative, to the idea that if all things were equal, if all influencing factors could be controlled and be identical when using these products.

That of course is impossible because some of these products are only recommended for use with a rotary buffer while some of these products are only recommended for use by hand or with a dual action polisher. So if we were to follow the manufactures recommendations then we wouldn't be able to compare all of these products side-by-side because in some examples they cannot be used in an equal manner.

Does that make sense?

This article is just to give you a GENERAL idea for the aggressiveness of these products when relatively compared to one another. The way a product is applied, (by hand or machine and if by machine the type of machine), and the application material used to apply the products, (foam, wool, wool/acrylic blend, cotton, microfiber), are both HUGE factors that will and do affect how aggressive a product is or isn't.

So keep this in mind when considering which product to choose and use for your detailing project.

Also keep in mind this is a very diverse group of products, all of these products except the D151 PRC are products with the dedicated purpose of removing below surface defects like swirls, scratches and other etchings and blemishes.

The D151 is a one-step cleaner/wax that has the ability to remove below surface defects, polish the paint to a high gloss and then leave behind a coating of protection.

Any questions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Aggressiveness Order of SMAT Products - This might surprise you!

Why do most people choose M105 over M95, if they have the same cut? Does M105 offer certain advantages? I've just never noticed anybody using M95 in their details.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Why do most people choose M105 over M95, if they have the same cut? Does M105 offer certain advantages? I've just never noticed anybody using M95 in their details.
    Good question!

Hang tight while I finish editing another new article and post it and then I'll link this article to the new article and then new article to this article.

The SMAT Pack - Everything you ever wanted to know about Meguiar's SMAT products...

Here's a portion of the new article.

M95 Speed Cut Compound - Refinishing Industry
    On the Autogeek.net store

M9532 Speed Cut Compound - 32 ounces
    M9501 Speed Cut Compound - 1 gallon

M95 Speed Cut Compound

My comments...
    M95 is a fast, aggressive cutting compound formulated and targeted primarily for use with rotary buffers and wool pads to remove sanding marks out of fresh paint in body shops. The difference between M95 and M105 is they are both fast cutting, aggressive compounds able to remove #1200 Grit Sanding Marks but M105 offers more ability to finish out to a higher gloss with less swirls. M95 is more like an old-school brown compound and priced at a lower price point for the market this product caters too...

M95 Speed Cut Compound was introduced in December of 2007 and as of the writing of this article there have been no public announcements to any formula changes although Meguiar's history is to improve formulas when technology becomes available, they just don't make an announcement about it all the time. At this time, unlike M105, M95 is only recommended for use with a rotary buffer ONLY.

Official label copy
    Speed-Cut Compound for fast results.

Method of application: Rotary Buffer Only

Directions:
    Always work on a cool properly cured paint surface. Shake well. Work on section at at time. Set rotary buffer to approximately 1500-2000 RPM's. Use with Meguiars Wool Pad. To prime new or dry pads, mist on M34 Final Inspection. Apply M95 Speed-Cut Compound directly to the paint surface and begin working in a 2' x 2' area with overlapping passes. Continue working until defects or sanding marks are removed. Wipe remain residue with a Meguiar's M9910 Ultimate Wipe Microfiber Cloth prior to polishing. For final polishing, choose the appropriate Meguiar's foam pad and your favorite Meguiar's polish.

• Paintable - Safe for use in the paint shop environment
    • Safe - VOC compliant formula
    • Safe on all paint finishes including Scratch Resistant Clear coat Finishes.
    Tips
    • For best results use with Meguiar's W50000 Double sided Wool Pad
    • For pad maintenance and ultimate results, clean pad frequently
    • For optimum results, on OEM paint use a lower seed setting (1200 - 1500), and less pressure. For less aggressive cutting us Meguiar's W7000 Foam Cutting Pad

My comments...

A lot of people want to know what the differences are between M95 and M105, here are the technical differences,
    • M105 can be applied by hand, DA Polisher and Rotary Buffer, M95 is recommended for use with a Rotary Buffer Only.
    • M105 is SMAT only, M95 is SMAT and DAT
    • M105 has the ability to finish out to a higher level of gloss and clarity with less swirls than M95

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    M105 finishes out nicer than 95. 95 is more old school and is forumlated only to be used with a rotary buffer.

Post Thanks / Like

Why is solo cut recommended for a rotary polisher?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    Why is solo cut recommended for a rotary polisher?
    The So1o line is targeted at body shops and historically these shops predominantly use rotary buffers for all their cutting and polishing steps....

From the Solo FAQ

Who is the Solo System for?
    It is specifically designed for paint & body shops in the automotive refinish industry. Within this segment, there are a variety of user expectations. Shops that finish with higher grades of paper (1500 grit DA or finer), and are looking for a simple, state of the art technology, So1o may be the answer.

On the other hand, shops that are using lower grades of paper (1500 grit by hand or coarser) and gritty "rocks in a bottle" compound technology; Solo may not suit them.

While some shops will continue to use a multi-liquid process, including ours, there are many shops that will welcome the benefits of our new "one-liquid" option.

Good question and for what it's worth I've had good luck using the M86 Cut & Polish Cream with both foam pads and microfiber pads with DA polishers. Always do a Test Spot before doing an entire car.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike:
    I am detailing my sisters car this weekend. This is basically a spare car and the entire family uses and abuses the car.

I had a bottle of D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream in my supply cabinet so I used the product with a yellow pad. I did a claybar after a wash first. Also my sister must have a hotline to the county department of public works and gets daily updates to which roads were recently tarred because the white car was a mess.

I was not really interested in removing deeper scratches but rather the swirl marks. The D151 did an outstanding job of removing the swirl marks and cleaning the paint. I was cleaning the pad after every two body panels due to dirt build up on the pad.

I followed up with a pass of Megs #7 to hide some of the less deep scratches and it did a decent job. I finished the detail with two coats of Pinnacle Liquid Souverän and called it a day.

For a quick removal of swirl marks and a deep cleaning of paint it is hard to beat the D151 product.

Post Thanks / Like

Do we know where D300 fits into this scale?

Post Thanks / Like
    Where would ultimate polish fall in line at or is it not a SMAT product?
    Last edited by rdockery_3; 06-10-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Someone once said a DAT polish will always finish down better than a SMAT polish on black(dark) cars because the abrasives of the DAT polish get completely broken down, and the SMAT abrasives won't change. Is this true? When working on a black car, do DAT products offer an advantage for use as finishing polishes?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast