autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think there may be some truth in saying that some DAT finishing polishes giving you that little extra finished look that everybody strives for. Example is PO85rd which is in a class by itself, but having said that I think that overall either type of polish has its pros and cons all things considered.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Aggressiveness Order of SMAT Products - This might surprise you!

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    I think there may be some truth in saying that some DAT finishing polishes giving you that little extra finished look that everybody strives for. Example is PO85rd which is in a class by itself, but having said that I think that overall either type of polish has its pros and cons all things considered.
    How does 3M Perfect It Ultrafine compare to P085RD?
    Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike...that was very helpful. I know the UC and UP and recommended for DA's. I'm working with a Lexus and have heard the paint is pretty soft and easy to work so I should be ok with the UC and UP. I do have a pretty good assortment of pads so I can get more cut that way.
    Mike do y'all ever set up a small booth at car events?? A little bit of late notice but Texas Motor Speedway has Friday night drags with a Shine-N-Show competition and parade. Every Friday night until July 27th...just wanted to pass that along in case y'all are interested in that kind of stuff. I mean when you look at the demographics in this area...and you would have people from Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington...then of course a lot of these guys are in car clubs. Could open up a pretty big market for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Mike! This really helps me decide which to get. Where does Ultimate Polish and ColorX fall on this continuum?

Post Thanks / Like

Also, this Autogeek chart shows #95 as being more abrasive than #105. Which is right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info, Mike. Where would D300 fall?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by truckbutt View Post
    How does 3M Perfect It Ultrafine compare to P085RD?
    Applied using only a rotary buffer? One thing about most 3M Professional Body Shop products is they are only recommended for use with a rotary buffer, somehow 3M missed the entire DA Revolution that started in the late 1980's.

3M Perfect-It 3000 Ultrafine Machine Polish, 3M Ultrafina, 3M perfect it ultra fine polish, 3M Machine Polish

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post

Thanks Mike...that was very helpful. I know the UC and UP and recommended for DA's.

I'm working with a Lexus and have heard the paint is pretty soft and easy to work so I should be ok with the UC and UP. I do have a pretty good assortment of pads so I can get more cut that way.
    Sounds good, always test the least aggressive product first just to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Mike do y'all ever set up a small booth at car events?? A little bit of late notice but Texas Motor Speedway has Friday night drags with a Shine-N-Show competition and parade. Every Friday night until July 27th...just wanted to pass that along in case y'all are interested in that kind of stuff. I mean when you look at the demographics in this area...and you would have people from Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington...then of course a lot of these guys are in car clubs.

Could open up a pretty big market for you.
    Great question... we already have the above "online" market. Going after the demographic of people that attend car shows is a little different. I've set-up and worked at car shows all my life mostly doing the hands-on demonstrations while others do the selling, so I have a little bit of experience with working at car shows.

Trying to do classes at car shows only works if they are very tightly compressed because when guys go to car shows they don't want to go to school, they want to walk around, look at cars, drink a beer and re-live their glory days with the cars they've owned.

Quote Originally Posted by mhphoto View Post
    Thanks, Mike! This really helps me decide which to get. Where does Ultimate Polish and ColorX fall on this continuum?
    ColorX is a DAT product so it doesn't fall into "this" line-up. But overall aggressiveness relative to the other products pictured I would put it between PRC and SwirlX.

I need to update this thread and add the new Meguiar's SMAT products. Lots on my plate right now but will try to get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by mhphoto View Post
    Also, this Autogeek chart shows #95 as being more abrasive than #105. Which is right?
    M95 uses two kinds of abrasives, costs less and doesn't finish out as nice as M105, chances are good what you've read is a typo because I received my info direct from Mike Pennington and he is the guy that would know as he works very closely with the Meguiar's chemists and Jason Rose.

What I typed on the first page is,

M105 Ultra-Cut Compound/M95 Speed Cut Compound = The same in abrading power

Even if M95 was more aggressive, because it won't finish out as nice which one to choose is a no-brainer, at least for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Capa1970 View Post
    Thanks for the info, Mike. Where would D300 fall?
    Since I have this article on about a half a dozen forums, let me update it with a new picture and add all the new products before SEMA hits, then if needed I'll update it after SEMA.

My guess is D300 is going to fit between the Ultimate Compound and ScratchX 2.0 as shown in this original picture for this thread.

Super Micro Abrasive Technology = SMAT
    From left to right, the most aggressive to the least aggressive SMAT products

From the most to the least aggressive...
    M105 Ultra-Cut Compound/M95 Speed Cut Compound = The same in abrading power
    Ultimate Compound
    ScratchX 2.0
    M86 Solo Cut & Polish Cream
    D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream
    SwirlX
    M205 Ultra Finishing Polish
    Now instead of SCANNING... (like we're all prone to do on discussion forums), read the below very carefully.

The order shown here is relative, to the idea that if all things were equal, if all influencing factors could be controlled and be identical when using these products.

That of course is impossible because some of these products are only recommended for use with a rotary buffer while some of these products are only recommended for use by hand or with a dual action polisher. So if we were to follow the manufactures recommendations then we wouldn't be able to compare all of these products side-by-side because in some examples they cannot be used in an equal manner.

Does that make sense?

This article is just to give you a GENERAL idea for the aggressiveness of these products when relatively compared to one another. The way a product is applied, (by hand or machine and if by machine the type of machine), and the application material used to apply the products, (foam, wool, wool/acrylic blend, cotton, microfiber), are both HUGE factors that will and do affect how aggressive a product is or isn't.

So keep this in mind when considering which product to choose and use for your detailing project.

Also keep in mind this is a very diverse group of products, all of these products except the D151 PRC are products with the dedicated purpose of removing below surface defects like swirls, scratches and other etchings and blemishes.

The D151 is a one-step cleaner/wax that has the ability to remove below surface defects, polish the paint to a high gloss and then leave behind a coating of protection.

Any questions?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Any questions?
    I have one!

What is D151 compared to Meguiars M66 Quick detailer?
    Marc
    Performance Detail
    www.facebook.com/performancedetail1

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by M64 View Post
    I have one!

What is D151 compared to Meguiars M66 Quick detailer?
    D151 = SMAT Product
    M66 = DAT product
    About the same in aggressiveness, I'd give the edge to D151 due to the abrasive technology.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    D151 = SMAT Product
    M66 = DAT product
    About the same in aggressiveness, I'd give the edge to D151 due to the abrasive technology.

Wow that was a fast reply!
    Thank you!
    Marc
    Performance Detail
    www.facebook.com/performancedetail1

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast