autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Matte White wrap

So, I had the opportunity to detail an Audi S6 with a white vinyl wrap. The car hadn't been washed in months. After the washing, the wrap was very splotchy and brown looking. I used an APC to clean it, but I don't think that I was able to get it 100%. What do you guys recommend for something like this? Also, it had a text feel to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Matte White wrap

Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

I've done matte paint (frozen paint as BMW calls it) and used McKees Matte cleaner and protecter which worked well. Matte finishes can't have any gloss enhancement products introduced to it which includes wash soaps with wax, spray waxes, quick detailers, etc. Those finishes also can't be polished nor buffed. I also purchased Flitz matte cleaner but have not used it yet. I've advised owners of matte finished cars and some had no knowledge about the care of that paint. That car might have been exposed to glossing agents prior (perhaps from car wash tunnel, improper matte care, etc). Sounds like the APC had a positive affect.

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s a pic of the finished car. But to me, it still has a long way to go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Best thing is to find out who is the manufacturer of the wrap and their recommended cleaning procedures.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Tom,

Chances are it's 3M. I would ask the client when they had the wrap done. It's been a good 7+ years since I was dealing with production and installs but at the time 3M had two warranties a 3 year and 7 year I believe. The other was how it was produced. If it was printed and had a matte lam put over the top or just a clear matte wrap. I would check some of the edges if you can find them. gas cap door, under the top of the wheel wells, lower parts of the car, inside the bottom of the doors. If you find a edge hanging of the material and it feels brittle it's pretty much done and there is not much you can do. My other question is where exactly are the browning marks. The material has to be heated during install to make the contours and edges and the installer could have cooked the lam which would be noticeable on white. 3M at the time just said wash the car and don't do anything else.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

7. Thanks TMQ thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by inDetail View Post
    Chances are it's 3M.

It's been a good 7+ years since I was
    dealing with production and installs

3M at the time just said wash the
    car and don't do anything else
    3M has changed-up a few things:
    They now have a product that can
    even be used on matte vinyl wraps.

A few other matte choices:
    https://autogeek.commerce-search.net...Matte+produvts

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Im going to bump this one! I have cleaned this car several times. Nothing is helping. Especially the rear where a lot of road grime collects. I have tried the Dr. Beasley's and it didn't clean it at all. What about paint thinner??

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by prin View Post

Im going to bump this one! I have cleaned this car several times. Nothing is helping.

Especially the rear where a lot of road grime collects. I have tried the Dr. Beasley's and it didn't clean it at all.

And this is the problem with matte vinyl wraps. No one can "work" on them. You can "wipe" on them you just can't "work" on them. People that buy cars with these matte wraps or pay to have them put on get the problem they want. I've never figured out why someone would want to make a car look ghetto in the first place.

The primary problem with staining is it gets INTO the matte surface or IMPACTS onto the matte surface and then topically stains the surface that it's for the most part impossible to undo the staining.

Could be as simple as telling potential customers up front that there's really not much that can be done for "problems" with matte surfaces outside of a normal wash and let them take their lumps.

Quote Originally Posted by prin View Post

What about paint thinner??
    You could test in an inconspicuous area and see what happens. Maybe a Magic Eraser?

11. Likes DetailedByPrecision, custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so Much Mike. The lady told me last night that she forgot to mention that the wrap has a ceramic coating on it. I think that the coating is going bad or something. But how do I strip it????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast