autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Iron In Drinking Water - Illinois Department of Public Heath

Iron In Drinking Water - Illinois Department of Public Heath

The question of where does iron contamination come from comes up all the time on our forum as it relates to chemically decontaminating paint.
    Another forum shared the link to this article in another thread and after I clicked on the link and read the info I thought others would find it interesting too so I've posted it here and in keeping with my normal practice and professional courtesy of giving due credit where credit is due you can find the original source for this article here,

Iron In Drinking Water

Begin article

Iron In Drinking Water
    Iron can be a troublesome chemical in water supplies. Making up at least 5 percent of the earth’s crust, iron is one of the earth’s most plentiful resources. Rainwater as it infiltrates the soil and underlying geologic formations dissolves iron, causing it to seep into aquifers that serve as sources of groundwater for wells. Although present in drinking water, iron is seldom found at concentrations greater than 10 milligrams per liter (mg/L) or 10 parts per million. However, as little as 0.3 mg/l can cause water to turn a reddish brown color.

Iron is mainly present in water in two forms: either the soluble ferrous iron or the insoluble ferric iron. Water containing ferrous iron is clear and colorless because the iron is completely dissolved. When exposed to air in the pressure tank or atmosphere, the water turns cloudy and a reddish brown substance begins to form. This sediment is the oxidized or ferric form of iron that will not dissolve in water.

Health
    Iron is not hazardous to health, but it is considered a secondary or aesthetic contaminant. Essential for good health, iron helps transport oxygen in the blood. Most tap water in the United States supplies approximately 5 percent of the dietary requirement for iron.

Taste and Food
    Dissolved ferrous iron gives water a disagreeable metallic taste. When the iron combines with tea, coffee and other beverages, it produces an inky, black appearance and a harsh, unacceptable taste. Vegetables cooked in water containing excessive iron turn dark and look unappealing.

Stains and Deposits
    Concentrations of iron as low as 0.3 mg/L will leave reddish brown stains on fixtures, tableware and laundry that are very hard to remove. When these deposits break loose from water piping, rusty water will flow through the faucet.

Iron Bacteria
    When iron exists along with certain kinds of bacteria, a smelly biofilm can form. To survive, the bacteria use the iron, leaving behind a reddish brown or yellow slime that can clog plumbing and cause an offensive odor. This slime or sludge is noticeable in the toilet tank when the lid is removed. The organisms occur naturally in shallow soils and groundwater, and they may be introduced into a well or water system when it is constructed or repaired.

Organic Iron and Tannins
    Iron can combine with different naturally-occurring organic acids or tannins. Organic iron occurs when iron combines with an organic acid. Water with this type of iron is usually yellow or brown, but may be colorless. As natural organics produced by vegetation, tannins can stain water a tea color. In coffee or tea, tannins produce a brown color and react with iron to form a black residue. Organic iron and tannins are more frequently found in shallow wells, or wells under the influence of surface water.

Mike Phillips

Re: Iron In Drinking Water - Illinois Department of Public Heath

Now.. after reading the headline for the first paragraph...

Iron In Drinking Water

Assuming iron is also in city water and the water we use to drink at our homes or place of business is also used for washing cars, we can change the headline to read simply,

Iron in water

Now it's a lot easier to understand how and why your car's paint can have Iron Contamination

Removing iron contamination via a liquid iron remover is an option. You don't have to do it. For those that want to be thorough, for those that want to ensure the paint on their car or their customer's car is to the best of their ability, contamination free before moving on to any other detailing step, then using an iron or fallout remover is now days a standard process.

Iron Removers on Autogeek.com

SONAX Fallout Cleaner

Dodo Juice Ferrous Dueller Iron Remover 500 ml

Dodo Juice Supernatural Ferro Lube 500 ml

Britemax Iron Max Iron Remover

Griots Garage Iron & Fallout Remover

McKee’s 37 Xtreme Iron Remover

Optimum FerreX Iron Remover 17 oz

GYEON Q2M Iron Remover - 500 ml

CarPro Iron X Iron Remover 500 ml

CarPro Iron X Lemon Scent 500 ml

CarPro TRIX Tar and Iron Remover 1 Liter

This product states it's safe for painted wheels, I'm checking to see if it's recommended for use on painted car body panels.

3D BDX Brake Dust Remover 24 oz

Mike Phillips

An example of extreme iron contamination caused by dissolved iron in our water supply...

The below is a story with pictures of iron removal I posted back in 2014. Yes I know Jay is not wearing shoes or gloves as he washes his sister's new-to-her car but I'm just sharing the pictures of the UNIFORM IRON CONTAMINATION to the entire side of the car that was sprayed by sprinkler water for years.

The big picture being, there's iron in the water and this is but one source for iron contamination on the exterior of our car, truck or sports utility vehicle.

Sprinkler Water

My buddy Jay detailed this car for his sister after she bought it from the original owner.

The original owner parked it next to a sprinkler that covered the car with heavy iron contaminated water for years.

Look closely.... it's not just the paint that is bleeding it's also the glass and plastic surfaces which are bleeding red. This is a sign of extreme iron contamination.

Safety tip: Wear protective shoes, gloves and eye protection when using chemicals.

Mike Phillips

Question: What is an iron remover?

Answer: An iron remover is a product used to chemically remove iron particles off your car by dissolving the particles.

Question: Why should I use an iron remover?

Answer: Chemically decontaminating the paint with an iron remover is part of a proper detail job. This is especially true when working on neglected cars, cars that have not been properly mechanically decontaminated and machine buffed and/or older vehicles that are always parked outside.

Question: Doesn't claying or using a clay alternative remove iron contamination?

Answer: Mechanically decontaminating the paint using detailing clay or products like Nanoskin towels or wash mitts can remove some iron contamination as you are physically rubbing something mechanical against the paint but you do remove any actual iron particles in the process you risk marring the paint as they are trapped between the paint and the clay, towel or mitt as you rub it over the surface. A safer and more effective approach is to work in this order,

Step 1: Chemical decontamination - Using an iron remover to remove iron contamination first.

Step 2: Mechanical decontamination - Using detailing clay or a clay substitute after chemically decontaminating the paint.

The Car Insurance Analogy for using an Iron Remover by Mike Phillips

Using an iron remover is like buying car insurance, you want to have it but you don't really want to use it because that means you were in an accident and this is never any fun. That said, it's important to have car insurance for financial, physical and emotional peace of mind just in case you are involved in an accident.

When you use an iron remover, you don't actually want to see iron contamination via the very visual bleeding-effect as this means your car's exterior is contaminated. Contamination means deterioration has been taking place. That's never a good thing and especially considering how thin clearcoat layer of paint is from the factory.

Like having car insurance, it's a good idea to use an iron remover on your car's exterior, but like car insurance, you really don't have to use it or in the case of an iron remover you don't actually want to see any color changing or bleed-effect take place as this would mean your car's exterior is not contaminated.

It would be better to see nothing and have peace of mind. The price of the iron remover is a minimal compared to knowing your paint was not contaminated.

If you do see the color changing or bleeding effect, then you have peace of mind knowing the contamination has been removed and the deterioration has been stopped.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great write up Mike.

this is a excellent explanation on how our cars get iron deposits.

Post Thanks / Like

For places with higher iron concentrations in the city water supply, aren't you undoing the work of the iron remover when you rinse it off?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or snarky. I'm looking to add an iron remover to my car care routine, but now I'm beginning to wonder if it's even worth bothering.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    For places with higher iron concentrations in the city water supply, aren't you undoing the work of the iron remover when you rinse it off?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or snarky. I'm looking to add an iron remover to my car care routine, but now I'm beginning to wonder if it's even worth bothering.

That's a good point and a good question and a even greater hypothetical situation...

I think the reality of it is, and the reason you see so much bleeding effect in the pictures above is because the iron contamination is not a physical contamination problem that happens when you rinse an iron remover off the car... it's a problem that builds up over time and most important... lack or care or regular maintenance.

Make sense?

Mike Phillips

One week ago I washed our regularly maintained Mercedes-Benz and used an iron remover on it. I then finished washing the car and then rinsed the car off and then I.....

Removed any standing water with a Guzzler microfiber drying towel

So in reality, for a regularly maintained car, any residual water and any iron in the residual water after rinsing was immediately removed.

Now for the masses that don't regularly wash and dry their car then yeah, I guess rinsing the car, (if they ever wash and rinse it), could mean and would mean they are contaminating the car with the iron and who knows what else is in the water?

I don't think these types of people hang out on car detailing discussion forums.