autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint thickness gauge

Do paint thickness gauges read the full thickness of paints or just the top layer?
    Thanks

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint thickness gauge

Its measures everything to the substrate panel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@NextLevelDetail View Post
    Its measures everything to the substrate panel
    So how does it differentiate the paint from the clear coat? How do you know the thickness of the clear coat if it measures everything?

Post Thanks / Like

You can get a PTG to read either total film thickness or each individual layer.

I would safely say 75% of detailers have the first version that reads total film thickness. The price is the differential factor.

This one reads the total amount.
    Defelsko Paint Thickness Gauge, Paint thickness meter, coating thickness gauge, auto paint meter, car paint meter

This one reads each layer.
    Defelsko PosiTector 200 Series (Advanced), paint meter, coating thickness gauge, paint gauge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RangerDetails View Post
    So how does it differentiate the paint from the clear coat? How do you know the thickness of the clear coat if it measures everything?
    You don't... simple as that.

A paint thickness gauge (except for the ultrasonic meters) are simply a tool to help you make more educated decisions. You can get a basic understanding of overall film thickness and see how certain areas vary throughout the car, whether there are very thin areas which potentially indicate previous sanding or heavy correction work, or very thick areas which may indicate body filler or at least repainted spots. This type of information cannot be gathered with the naked eye, obviously, so while a typical PTG may not provide the exact thickness of the clear coat, it helps you to identify potential areas of concern.

I always walk around the car and take 5-10 readings per panel with the vehicle owner present so that I can point out any notable areas to them ahead of time and explain any risks/concerns that I have. I also document everything on our inspection forms so that in the event that something were to happen, and it was on a repainted area, we would not be held liable for what was likely a poorly repaired spot.

If I worked on exotics all day, I would gladly shell out the money for an ultrasonic gauge as the potential risk mitigation cost is less than paying to repair a vehicle.

Retired Professional Detailer