autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm so confused! New guy needs help with polisher supplies.

Ok long time lurker 1st post. I have been reading and watching how to videos and I must say this is a great site for information on detailing our cars however I have developed information overload!!!!! I am more confused now than when I started looking for the proper way to detail my 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS. Quick description of my car, its Red Rock Metallic it is my DD and it has the normal minor scratches and swirls from improper washings that I did before I gained the knowledge on the two bucket washing, proper drying and some other things.

One thing I am sure of, I want to get a Porter Cable 7424XP buffer because that is one machine that I have researched and seems to be the best for the value and my skill set (none). I have seen all the kits offered that come with tons of stuff but I am not convinced that I would need half the stuff that comes with it for what I intend to do. Also I am trying to keep from spending a ton of money on this. Would it be cheaper to peice a kit together myself? What my main concern is what pads should I get and how many of each? What should I use for paint correction? If anyone can help me out by maybe breaking it down for me I mean everything like Barney style it would be greatly appreciated and maybe I can get the ball rolling and order some supplies Thanks in advance for any help Don

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm so confused! New guy needs help with polisher supplies.

Most of the pads out there are going to be able the same for someone just starting out. I would start out with one of each if you are just doing your own car. Lake Country makes great pads. Make sure to get the correct size backing plate for the size pads you intend to use. You are going to need a correction pad, polishing pad, and finishing pad.
    https://www.facebook.com/newfinishPDLLC/
    Steve Infante, New Finish Columbia 803-553-1782
    Columbia, SC / IG:@newfinishcolumbia

Post Thanks / Like

You'll spend more piecing stuff together than buying the kit.

This would be perfect for what you need to do and these products are very user friendly for new users and veterans alike.

Porter Cable 7424XP & 3D HD Flawless Finish Kit
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

AutoGeek has answered that exact same question for most if not all that are in your shoes with putting together several packages like the the one he linked in above. And for that price you'd be hard pressed to put together something similar from piecing it yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Too keep it real simple and easy without confusing your self with polishes and pads.Buy the pinnacle advanced swirl remover and the polish that geos with it.on that color car fuzion wax would really amp up that color.for the pads,orange for cutting red for polishing.I would by 4 of each plus the wax application pad.just buy one wax application pad,on the machine part the Meg 110 dual action polisher very light for beginners.The 3D HD speed is a very nice product,good cutting and finishing in one bottle and it's one time around the car versus two times.There are no pics of car condition,so I would maybe go with the pinnacle line to start with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Misterxman View Post
    Ok long time lurker 1st post. I have been reading and watching how to videos and I must say this is a great site for information on detailing our cars however I have developed information overload!!!!! I am more confused now than when I started looking for the proper way to detail my 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS. Quick description of my car, its Red Rock Metallic it is my DD and it has the normal minor scratches and swirls from improper washings that I did before I gained the knowledge on the two bucket washing, proper drying and some other things.

One thing I am sure of, I want to get a Porter Cable 7424XP buffer because that is one machine that I have researched and seems to be the best for the value and my skill set (none). I have seen all the kits offered that come with tons of stuff but I am not convinced that I would need half the stuff that comes with it for what I intend to do. Also I am trying to keep from spending a ton of money on this. Would it be cheaper to peice a kit together myself? What my main concern is what pads should I get and how many of each? What should I use for paint correction? If anyone can help me out by maybe breaking it down for me I mean everything like Barney style it would be greatly appreciated and maybe I can get the ball rolling and order some supplies Thanks in advance for any help Don
    There are as many opinions here as members. Good news is most are solid and it's hard to find a bad combo of good. My two cents for your situation:

Buffer
    HDSpeed All in One
    5 green pads
    Menzerma Powerlock Sealant
    Handful of good 480gsm Microfiber towels.

I'll stop there as I can justify a ton of other goodies but want to respect your budget.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone that has replied your help is greatly appreciated! It is just overwhelming the amounts of information on the site and I know everyone has their own way of doing things and what works for them might not work for the other person I just need a time tested starting point and a kick int the butt to pull the trigger on buying something.

Post Thanks / Like

If you go with Speed you'll want to go with HD Poxy as Speed and Poxy are in the same family and both are compatible with each other as they both have synergistic components.

Here's a 2015 Camaro I did with HD Speed and HD Poxy, I used Buff & Shine Orange pads and have for all my HD Speed jobs. I use a blue or black for applying Poxy.

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Pdqgp also has a point and minimizes it down a little further with his recommendation. Personally i like custmsprty's recommendation because of the inevitable that certainly happened to me...i eventually did more vehicles than just my own and the PC+3D kit gives you more capability to handle a wider range of paint issues. Once i did my own and loved the results i was looking for more "practice".

Plus i don't know your budget but $240 for everything needed on a wide range of paint issues seems pretty reasonable.

Post Thanks / Like

Poxy is good, just not my go-to in hybrid products as I prefer Blackfire's Montain Hybrid over it for my needs. My opinion is Powerlock is among the best and most durable fully synthetic products. It is not any less compatible with HDSpeed. I use that combo with great success. Any of the them will work well.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast