autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking to buy first DA!

I'm ready to step up to my big boy pants and get a DA polisher. Was wondering if it's worth it to dive in and get a Rupes or Flex off from the start or would the Porter Cable be sufficient. Not looking to detail any other cars but mine and my wife's. Also was wondering what's the biggest difference between a direct drive vs a floating style. Is one more forgiving than the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking to buy first DA!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptN D View Post
    I'm ready to step up to my big boy pants and get a DA polisher. Was wondering if it's worth it to dive in and get a Rupes or Flex off from the start or would the Porter Cable be sufficient. Not looking to detail any other cars but mine and my wife's. Also was wondering what's the biggest difference between a direct drive vs a floating style. Is one more forgiving than the other?

Just for some background information, direct drive (or forced rotation) will NOT stop regardless of pressure. These types of devices are much more dangerous than the free spinning DA's like the PC. The Porter Cable style devices will stop rotating if you are applying too much pressure or if you are buffing on a hard body line. You can still damage your paint if you are not careful with a free spinning DA, but they are much more forgiving.

Thank being said, it really all depends on your budget. If you are only doing your own cars, I would say get the Griots 6 (GG6) inch DA. I have the GG6 and it is enough for what I need (for now). I really couldn't pass up on Griot's lifetime warranty. You can't go wrong with starting with the GG6 and then moving up if you decide you want something more. You can either sell it or turn it into a 3 or 4 inch DA.

I am not a professional detailer, just a hobbyist so others may have some additional information based on experience.

Let us know what you end up going with!

Best of luck,
    Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive used the flex and currently own a Rupes 21 markii. To me, the da is much more forgiving in terms of use. I found that with the forced rotation you at times fight against the machine. At the end of the day, I felt beat. The Rupes is incredibly smooth which was the selling factor for me. As far as d/as go, for personal use, I also highly suggest a gg6. I also have one and it's powerful enough to accomplish what my Rupes can accomplish, it just takes a bit more time since it has a shorter stroke. For the money and the warranty, you can't go wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

If I can offer my opinion on a DA polisher, it would be this: Everyone has preferences, but I would advise you to buy the very best that you can afford. I started with a 6" Griot's Garage, (very good quality and also affordable) and then I got a Flex 3401. I'm happy. Good luck.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what was thinking too, just needed to here someone else say it. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice from all above, but another factor is how much correction you need.

I've always hand-maintained my Ram truck and wife's Jeep Wrangler meticulously. But as I am getting older, wanted to give my arms and hands a break. Both vehicles have VERY minor swirls when I go to detail them, so I got the PC 7424XP. It does the job I need it to do extremely well, and in little time.

But, if you need more correction, then the guys who recommended the more powerful units are spot on.

All depends on your needs CaptN D.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Both vehicles are relatively new, '14 GLI and a '15 Focus ST! I know the ford has soft paint so I don't want to over do it. Would like something that I could use to maintain the vehicles finish/color over time. Polishing/waxing, swirl removing etc.

Post Thanks / Like

if you're only doing your own vehicles and a few here and there then it makes no sense to spend hundreds ($300+) of dollars if you don't plan on using it often. the GG6 (lots of torque/power) with the right pads and polishes/compounds these days will do the job just fine...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    if you're only doing your own vehicles and a few here and there then it makes no sense to spend hundreds ($300+) of dollars if you don't plan on using it often. the GG6 (lots of torque/power) with the right pads and polishes/compounds these days will do the job just fine...
    With a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads and the right polishes there isn't anything it can handle!! To top it off you get a lifetime warranty.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.