autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick Detailer vs Spray Wax

What does a exterior QD do that an exterior Spray Wax doesn't do?

When to use which? TIA

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick Detailer vs Spray Wax

Great question.

The Definitive How-To Guide for Spray Waxes, Quick Detail Sprays & Waterless Washes

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek
    Knowledge is infinite, and everyone loves a shiny car, so act like a sponge and start absorbing because I'm going to create the definitive explanation on one of the most popular topics on car care and detailing forums across the globe - spray waxes, quick detail sprays, and waterless washes.

Here is my definition of a spray wax, quick detail spray and a waterless wash.

Spray Wax: A product containing protective properties to protect and beautify the surface that it's designed to be applied to (ie: paint). A spray wax (sometimes referred to as a "spray sealant") is designed to be applied to paint that's squeaky clean and free of any dust, dirt, or contaminants. A quality spray wax will easily yield 3-4 months of stand-alone protection. A spray wax (spray sealant) is often used as a "booster" over an existing wax, sealant or coating.

Nick's Favorites:

Quick Detail Spray: Just as the name implies, a quick way to touch up your vehicle's finish. A quick detail spray often contains carnauba or polymers (some contain both!) to spruce up your vehicle's appearance. A quick detail spray is often used after a wash to boost the shine. Most quick detail sprays can also be used to remove light dust (don't worry, we'll get more into that later). While a quick detail spray can contain carnauba or polymers, they don't provide too much paint protection, like a spray wax does. Lubricants ensure you don't scratch the finish as you wipe away dust.

Nick's Favorites:

Waterless Wash: A waterless wash (often referred to as a "spray on car wash") contains an advanced blend of lubricants and cleaners designed to safely lift dirt and soil from your vehicle's finish without scratching. Spray on, wipe with a plush microfiber towel, buff, and the car is clean. Most waterless car wash products don't contain any protective properties and will not leave a shine that a true Auto Geek is satisfied with. Follow up with a spray wax so you can sleep at night.

Nick's Favorites:

The translucent yellow lines running parallel with each other show the path of my swipe. As you can clearly see, the area where I swiped my finger is cleaner, but not clean. This is because there is a film of dirt on the paint. If I were to use a quick detail spray at this point on Bob's Vette, I could potentially scratch the finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shagnat View Post
    What does a exterior QD do that an exterior Spray Wax doesn't do?

When to use which? TIA
    Spray Wax adds wax to protect the paint surface, and a Quick Detail will clean and wipe away dust and light dirt off the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't add wax.

Mike Phillips

In a nutshell

A spray detailer is to remove light dust, fingerprints and smudges.

A spray wax is for adding protection to pant that is already clean. This means the paint doesn't have any light dust, fingerprints or smudges.

Don't use a spray wax to clean your car.

Clearcoats are Scratch-Sensitive

Post Thanks / Like

That's why I got UWW+ to clean and d156 to spruce it up....I'm slowly migrating away from carnubas and going with synthetics only
    2010 Candy White Volkswagen CC - 170k and counting DD
    2006 DSOM C6 z06 - 22k miles

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeanChav View Post
    That's why I got UWW+ to clean and d156 to spruce it up....I'm slowly migrating away from carnubas and going with synthetics only

Same here. But I pour some drops of Klasse HGSG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Some people will use spray wax to clean a car.

Like ammonyc says spray wax for clay lube, I don't know if its actually a spray wax or more of a quick detail spray.

Every spray wax I used was thicker and leaves kind of a film behind that you have to buff off.

Quick detail is more versatile.

Spray wax is for a perfectly prepped surface

Post Thanks / Like

Quick Detailers can also be used as a drying aid, to add lubricity to a drying towel and also help remove any water spots that might have dried on the car.

There are some spray waxes that can also be used as a drying aid, but not all.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    Quick Detailers can also be used as a drying aid, to add lubricity to a drying towel and also help remove any water spots that might have dried on the car.

There are some spray waxes that can also be used as a drying aid, but not all.
    There's some over the counter stuff eagle one and turtle wax , wax as you dry.

I used the eagle one works well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast