autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: FLEX vs Rupes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FLEX vs Rupes

I am still the biggest fan of a large stroke random orbital polisher.

I've never used the LHR21ES and thought, "Drat! She's-a-stalling too much on the curves & bulges!"

• The design of the pad makes a difference
    • Motor speed makes a difference
    • The pad diameter makes a difference
    • Polishing technique makes a difference
    • The backing plate makes a difference
    • The quantity and type of buffing liquid makes a difference

About finesse-polishing:
    IF it is possible to fit the large stroke machine onto any particular area of the vehicle, AND the extended stroke does not make it difficult to polish the area... then I still believe that the large stroke random orbital is very tough to beat, in terms of its ability to create a benchmark finish.

Regardless the machine being used, the problems associated with finishing out soft paint has less to do with machine force and stroke, and more to do with polishing procedure, the quantity of buffing liquid being used, and the accumulated paint residue that has mixed into the buffing liquid (and has become attached to the buffing pad).

I cannot recall how many times I've engaged in discussions about finishing out haze-prone, soft, or finicky paint. Yet, by making simple adjustments to a guy's polishing technique (and without changing the machine being used), difficult-to finish paint types become not-so difficult-to-finish anymore.

As is usually the case, procedure can make or break polishing results. The best machines, pads, and liquids are obviously vital to achieving mind-blowing paint finishes, but someone's got to have the skill set to make it happen.

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Thanks for chiming in Kevin...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post

I am still the biggest fan of a large stroke random orbital polisher.

I've never used the LHR21ES and thought, "Drat! She's-a-stalling too much on the curves & bulges!"

• The design of the pad makes a difference
    • Motor speed makes a difference
    • The pad diameter makes a difference
    • Polishing technique makes a difference
    • The backing plate makes a difference
    • The quantity and type of buffing liquid makes a difference
    I 100% agree with the above.

The Rupes company isn't about a tool it's about a system.

Last weekend I demonstrated how unbalanced the Rupes Bigfoot 21 is when holding it in the air on speed 6 without a pad and then holding it in the air on speed 6 with a pad and the you can see for yourself very quickly how smooth the tool operates with the pad on and how rough it is with the pad off.

The point being this is part of the engineering that went into the design of the "system" not the tool. Huge difference in felt vibration.

If you look at the pad you can see this tool is turned on yet the body is still and there is no vibration. The backing plate and pad are made by Rupes and engineered for this specific tool.

For the most part I've only used the Rupes "system" on all the cars I've detailed using Rupes. I'm like that with the Meguiar's Microfiber DA Correction System too in that I don't try using other pads or chemicals with a "system approach" engineered and designed by the chemists and guys like Jason Rose at Meguiars and as such, I always get consistent successful results using when using either system.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post

As is usually the case, procedure can make or break polishing results.

The best machines, pads, and liquids are obviously vital to achieving mind-blowing paint finishes, but someone's got to have the skill set to make it happen.
    100% agree with you on that too...

I always see people saying that technique is Number #1 and while technique is very important the most important factor as it relates to taking a swirled-out mess and creating a swirl-free, flawless show car finish starts with the abrasive technology because it is the abrasives FIRST that are in contact with the paint.

If the compounds and polishes used have archaic, caveman abrasive technology then even with perfect technique you're still going to end up with mediocre results. It all has to do with what's touching the paint.

Rupes compounds and polishes use amazing abrasive technology in fact, in the pictures below, the after shots of the Ferrari were after the UHS System but NO LSP. And the pictures showing the glossy looking paint on the 1956 Nomad were taken after using ONLY the Rupes Zephir Gloss COARSE Compound and the coarse blue foam cutting pad.

Mind blowing is the word that comes to me when I think about how coarse the compound and the pad is and then look at the finish results.

1998 Ferrari 355 F1 Spyder

Using the right technique with the Rupes polishers you can make them dance... even when buffing out complicated louvers over the engine compartment.

1978 Trans Am - Original Single Stage Lacquer Paint
    This is the version that Burt Reynolds made famous in the movie Smokey and the Bandit. It was not in the movie but is the correct engine, transmission, T-tops, colors, wheels, etc that are the same as the car Burt drove in the movie.

1956 Chevrolet Nomad

I don't think it's a fair comparison to compare the Flex 3401 with any of the Rupes polishers as the Flex 3401 is a completely different tool in how it's designed and how it operates.

I know people want to compare them but all you have to do is buff out a few cars with either tool to come to the conclusion that they are very different tools.

My opinion is that the Flex 3401 is a beast when it comes to powering through any detail project simply because the pad won't stop spinning regardless of your skill or technique and you can use it successfully with any high quality abrasive technology and get great results. In other words, you can use it successfully with any high quality compounds and polishes.

In fact, the signed version of my Flex how-to book includes the inscription that starts like this,

The Flex 3401 is a BEAST!

The Rupes polishers and paint polishing system is indeed a true one-line system where when used as a system with the proper technique you can consistently create amazing results like shown in the pictures above.

That said, the Rupes polishers in my opinion do require more skill and better technique to great results than the Flex 3401 which requires less skill and less technique.

If you're new to machine polishing and/or new to the Rupes "system" then you should allow yourself some time to become proficient with these types of tools, pads and products. If you're willing to invest the time you can perfect your technique and make any of the Rupes polishers do anything you want them to.

It's just like any true skill set... you must pay the price of investing time and focused attention to attain true talent.

Good thread...

4. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbpress01 View Post
    My two sense - bought the rupes duetto, LHR 15 and the whole Rupes polishes and pads. Final conclusion - flat horizontal panels it was awesome. The second the polisher hit anything curved, slightly curved, convex or vertical it stopped spinning and I wound up spending so much time trying to get it to spin it was useless. Dumped them both at a huge loss and went with Flex. Don't waste your time with Rupes. I have seen many comments about technique with the Rupes, but I haven't seen one video where someone is actually showing their so called technique to video for us to evaluate, while I have seen a ton of videos on the Flex and they all show the power of this tool. Just my thoughts.
    I couldn't have said it any better!!

IMO, Rupes puts out some pretty polishers, with a good build quality, and they have a machine best suited for pretty much any area of any vehicle.

Having a Flex 3401, a rotary and a DA for spinning 3" pads is the ideal setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbpress01 View Post
    My two sense - bought the rupes duetto, LHR 15 and the whole Rupes polishes and pads. Final conclusion - flat horizontal panels it was awesome. The second the polisher hit anything curved, slightly curved, convex or vertical it stopped spinning and I wound up spending so much time trying to get it to spin it was useless. Dumped them both at a huge loss and went with Flex. Don't waste your time with Rupes. I have seen many comments about technique with the Rupes, but I haven't seen one video where someone is actually showing their so called technique to video for us to evaluate, while I have seen a ton of videos on the Flex and they all show the power of this tool. Just my thoughts.
    I agree but I wouldn't dump the whole system. I use the Rupes on flat surfaces and the flex on curves and contours. It would be nice to see a video of someone polishing a curved panel with a 21 throw polisher. I don't think it's possible to do it properly because the pad won't spin.

If you get the pad spinning then you won't have enough contact with the curve to make it worth using.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234