autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FLEX vs Rupes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FLEX vs Rupes

Quote Originally Posted by kaanage View Post
    Also, the Flex needs muscle and the Rupes needs finesse to use effectively

I prefer the Rupes as I find it more versatile - the Flex is a bear to use on softer paints while the Rupes works on any paint plus it doesn't beat you up like the Flex.
    I will have to disagree with this as per my own experiences with the Flex and soft paints.

I was working on a new Viper GTS with black paint and when I did my test spots I found the paint to be very soft. I did 3 other Viper GTS's before the black one so I thought I had an idea of what I needed.

Unfortunately, I was wrong. When I did my test spot with the Rupes I found the paint to be severely hazed. I backed off with pads, speed and product and continued to try other test posts with the Rupes and had no such luck.

I pulled out the Flex 3401 with a black finishing pad, Sonax EX 04-06 on speed 3, and I was able to have success.

I can say the hazing was due to the soft paint and the large throw of the Rupes.

This is what I have experienced with the Rupes and Flex.

IMO its best to have a variety of machines pads, and products. To me, there is no perfect machine. Ive run into issues where the Flex wasn't working but the Rupes would.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Flex by far the best!

Bring on the Bashing Rupes people!!

Ford vs Chevy, Flex vs Rupes, etc. Either way they are great machines!

I do R-e-s-p-e-c-t the Rupes, however, nothing comes close to the Flex. And the Flex is very easy to use and it can be used with incredible "finesse". I am at a loss why someone says it can't. Oh well, I digress.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sulla View Post
    So you are a complete beginner with a mobile detailing business ?

Future business. The signature is simply my future logo lol.

Perfecting my skill and increasing my knowledge before I go out and make a name for myself around my area.

Post Thanks / Like

So which one's the Chevy if you're a Chevy guy? LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyGXP View Post
    So which one's the Chevy if you're a Chevy guy? LOL
    LMAO!! Why does it matter?? You have a Pontiac emblem on your avatar!!!!!.....LOL

All kidding aside, the fact that the 2 most talked about, debated, and chosen DA's are the Flex and Rupes. These 2 brands IMO are on top of the Food Chain....every other brand is secondary!!

Each one has it's advantages and disadvantages. Either way you can't go wrong with either....except you Mr. PONTIAC!!!!.....LOL

I would assume you'd be a Chevy guy so since I am a Ford guy I like the Flex...you can go with the Rupes.....LOL

CJ
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

CJ - everyone knows it's Mopar or No-car!

But to original poster - have you already been working with a "starter" DA like the PC or Megs units? Might consider if not, starting with the PC, get your technique perfected, then jump to a flex / rupes.

CJ would prob endorse this approach - I think? You converted your PC to a 3in plate after getting your flex, right?

7. Likes ClearlyCoated liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaFawnduh View Post
    CJ - everyone knows it's Mopar or No-car!

But to original poster - have you already been working with a "starter" DA like the PC or Megs units? Might consider if not, starting with the PC, get your technique perfected, then jump to a flex / rupes.

CJ would prob endorse this approach - I think? You converted your PC to a 3in plate after getting your flex, right?
    Mopar!!! BLASPHEMY!!!! Matt curses for even saying MOPAR!!! Ford and Chevy OK?!!!!...LOL

You are correct at least that is what I did. I started with the PC7424XP and after spending 22HRS on my buddies Shelby I needed to look for a better way of reducing time.

This forum is the reason why I went Flex. It was an easy decision for me as the Flex is about $100 less than the Rupes Big Foot. Also it was the only "forced rotation" DA.

Learning how to use the Flex was very easy. I thought it was going to be hard but it wasn't. You learned how to control the "walking" pretty easy.

Recently, I worked on a Honda Accord and it needed a full correction. I used the Flex and was able to finish the job in about 4 hours. Exterior only and I do not tape which save quite a bit of time. I use the 6.5" Hybrids FG400 and SF4500 and Powerlock for a sealant.

It was Mike (Dedicated Perfection) and Mike Phillips that suggested the Hybrid Pads. I already had all the BP for the Flex. But once I tried the Lake Country Hybrid Pads I could not believe how much more easier the Flex was to use. Even better control (this is where the finesse part comes in).

As for my PC7424XP I still use it. It has the 3" Pads for waxing. I will use it to on other things, however, they are minor compared to the Flex.

BTW, the Hellcat Challenger is one BAD AZZ Ride so I guess Mopar is OK....LOL

Have a good one Bud!!

Here are a couple of Pic for the Honda I was talking about. This was Nov 2014.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FLEX vs Rupes-kim-car-11-29-14-004-jpg   FLEX vs Rupes-kim-car-11-29-14-009-jpg   FLEX vs Rupes-kim-car-11-29-14-018-jpg  
    CJ
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

On a side but related note, the gf just met Mr. 3401. The look on her face was priceless....

Her: "Oh my god..... What is that?"

Me: "It's the Flex 3401..."

Her: "It looks mean."

Me: (grinning) "It really is."

I don't know, you have to have been there...

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Flex - if you want a tool that can truly do everything the 3401 is a very tough act to follow. I've had both and I still have my 3401 - the LHR15 got donated to a enthusiast who is dabbling in detailing.
    Retired Marine - Full time Detailer.

https://www.facebook.com/ExtremeReflections1

Post Thanks / Like

Just what we need another Flex vs Rupes thread
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast