autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: what is your favorite paint coating & why.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    Lets see here is all that I have tried so far in no specific order:

Opti-coat Pro
    Opti-coat 2.0
    Optimum Gloss coat
    CQuartz UK
    Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating
    Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating
    DP Paint Coating
    CAR Bulletproof
    Gtechniq C2V3
    Gtechniq C1
    Gtechniq EXO
    Gtechniq Crystal Serum
    Ceramic Pro 9H
    Ceramic Pro lite
    Ceramic Pro sport
    22ple
    Americoat

Those are all that I can think of and each has its benefit for the most part. When looking into caotings you need to figure out what benefits you are looking for.

Would you like to have one that offers longer durability?

What about scratch resistance?

The way the coating feels?

What about water contact angle?

Application method? (some are very time involved)

I've installed and test a lot as you can see and while I don't have a favorite per say, as each is different than the next they all can offer different benefits.
    Regarding scratch resistance, what are the best options?

Post Thanks / Like

I still cant get the CQUK application process down. Like most, apply, wait for flash, buff off high spots. Still comes out streaky

Super Member Detail-Impressions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Every_detail View Post
    I still cant get the CQUK application process down. Like most, apply, wait for flash, buff off high spots. Still comes out streaky
    I agree there is a learning process with CQUK, took me a few cars before I learned the process.
    Reload does more streaking than CQUK imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thefuturenow View Post
    Regarding scratch resistance, what are the best options?
    9h and Crystal Serum would be my top two.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

PolishAngel Cosmic claims hardness of 9H which would make it one of the hardest and scratch resistant coat.

There is another product (name I cannot mention but synonymous with the Japanese suicide pilot) that claims 9H hardness and the concentration of Sio2 is the highest I've ever seen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldLayne View Post
    PolishAngel Cosmic claims hardness of 9H which would make it one of the hardest and scratch resistant coat.

There is another product (name I cannot mention but synonymous with the Japanese suicide pilot) that claims 9H hardness and the concentration of Sio2 is the highest I've ever seen
    SIO2 has a MOHs rating of 7, how do they claim a 9h?

7. Thanks Texchappy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    The hardness these companies claim are Pencil Hardness and not on the Moh's scale. That includes pretty much all of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    To form 9H hardness, use INVINCIBLE | PRIMER as a finishing or 1-step polish prior to application of COSMIC.
    -Cosmic can be applied by itself but will not form 9H hardness. POLISHANGEL recommends two coats of COSMIC applied 2 hours apart.
    -Unlike other liquid coating systems, POLISHANGEL® GLASSCOAT™ is a creamy constancy which applies easier than any other coating
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

i keep getting notifications of this thread because i posted in it at some point. so i figured i'll share this pic that i stumbled on in the Opti-Coat Russia group

also, here is another bit of info i had - this is again regarding Opti-Coat Pro, so, not necessarily applicable for everyone in here, but still good info:

The similarities and differences in coatings available on the market are quite striking. 
All true coatings are ceramic based, ceramic being a term meaning inorganic. Organics such as sealants are carbon based and as such wear away over time, ceramic in itself is permanent, being as it’s inorganic.

Coatings are characterised by their silicon content (not silicone), and 2 principal variations of silicon are used. The most common is Silicon Dioxide, sometimes marketed as glass, quartz or ceramic and in all cases that’s true. SiO2 is suspended in a resin in the form of Nano particles of Silicon Dioxide, and the resins suspend this in a film over the paint. SiO2 has a melting point of 1,600 °C (2,910 °F; 1,870 K) and on the Mohs scale of hardness is a 7.

The other coating system is Silicon Carbide, SiC. Opti-Coat Pro is the only coating available that harnesses the strengths of Silicon Carbide (sometimes referred to as ceramic, industrial diamonds and carborundum). Unlike SiO2 based coatings the SiC based coating actually bonds to the paint and the SiC is formed as a chemical reaction in that process, not by having Nano particles of the ceramic floating in a resin. SiC is superior to SiO2 coatings chemically and has a melting point of 2,730 °C (4,950 °F; 3,000 K) and is a 9 on the Mohs scale of hardness.

Opti-Coat Pro is unique in many ways because of this fundamental difference in chemistry. Opti-Coat–Pro becomes one with the paint instead of suspending nano particles of a harder substance in a resin. This gives Opti-Coat Pro far superior chemical resistance, as the chemical must break down the SiC, and not break down a resin holding SiO2 nano particles. OCP is harder than other coatings, but no coating is scratch proof. To obtain maximum strength other coatings require heat curing and multiple layers, with OCP that’s not required. SiO2 coatings obtain their maximum gloss immediately, and that gloss drops off over time, Opti-Coat Pro obtains it’s maximum gloss once the polymerization process is completed (roughly 7 days). Opti-Coat Pro will maintain its gloss over time, SiO2 coatings start losing their gloss through oxidation and it continues to drop, requiring the need to add periodically some form of resin to maintain or restore the gloss and protection.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234