autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dealership scratched paint/GlassCoat questions

Hello,
    I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, if not then please move to the appropriate area. I also want to apologize in advance…this is going to be a very long post.
    I purchased a 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan back in February, and the dealership offered me Simoniz “GlassCoat” interior/exterior for free. They also told me to take the van in about 3 times a year for a “detailing”/re-apply under the Simoniz protection. Okay, sound’s pretty sweet to me….but now I’m wishing they just left the paint alone.
    When we went to go pick up the van (brand new), the kid that pulled it around (and applied the GlassCoat) got out and was buffing a few spots with a regular cotton shop towel…..which I thought was kind of odd, given you’re supposed to dry the car with Microfiber or a chamois or something similar…but hey, they’re the professionals, right?
    Well I took it in for one of the “detailings” and got a rental car in the meantime, and I noticed the rental’s paint was heavily scratched, spider-web type scratches/swirls. I was nervous that my new van’s paint was going to suffer from the same scratches; but they already had it in the shop….

I got the van back and it looks OK-but you can see swirl marks/spider-webbing if you look at the paint in the direct sunlight. It also has some other nicks/scrapes that were NOT there before. I know the clear coat underneath is scratched because they probably dried it with a regular towel. It’s not as noticeable because it’s been covered up with the GlassCoat…
    I don’t know what to do now; I don’t want to take the van back there to inflict further damage.
    Should the entire vehicle be buffed? Should I try to take it somewhere else for the GlassCoat…or should I just say screw it and apply some wax and hope it covers up the spider webbing? I can’t do any of the work myself; I live in an apartment and have no garage or driveway to do it in.

I’m thinking of just taking it to a body shop and have them remove the GlassCoat, buff/polish the entire vehicle, and apply a good wax….Opinions?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealership scratched paint/GlassCoat questions

Quote Originally Posted by f1ared View Post
    Hello,
    I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, if not then please move to the appropriate area. I also want to apologize in advance…this is going to be a very long post.
    I purchased a 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan back in February, and the dealership offered me Simoniz “GlassCoat” interior/exterior for free. They also told me to take the van in about 3 times a year for a “detailing”/re-apply under the Simoniz protection. Okay, sound’s pretty sweet to me….but now I’m wishing they just left the paint alone.
    When we went to go pick up the van (brand new), the kid that pulled it around (and applied the GlassCoat) got out and was buffing a few spots with a regular cotton shop towel…..which I thought was kind of odd, given you’re supposed to dry the car with Microfiber or a chamois or something similar…but hey, they’re the professionals, right?
    Well I took it in for one of the “detailings” and got a rental car in the meantime, and I noticed the rental’s paint was heavily scratched, spider-web type scratches/swirls. I was nervous that my new van’s paint was going to suffer from the same scratches; but they already had it in the shop….

I got the van back and it looks OK-but you can see swirl marks/spider-webbing if you look at the paint in the direct sunlight. It also has some other nicks/scrapes that were NOT there before. I know the clear coat underneath is scratched because they probably dried it with a regular towel. It’s not as noticeable because it’s been covered up with the GlassCoat…
    I don’t know what to do now; I don’t want to take the van back there to inflict further damage.
    Should the entire vehicle be buffed? Should I try to take it somewhere else for the GlassCoat…or should I just say screw it and apply some wax and hope it covers up the spider webbing? I can’t do any of the work myself; I live in an apartment and have no garage or driveway to do it in.

I’m thinking of just taking it to a body shop and have them remove the GlassCoat, buff/polish the entire vehicle, and apply a good wax….Opinions?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
    If you compound the finish it should remove whatever coating they applied
    I'm sure this garbage will remove itself over time. Especially seeing that they wanted to apply additional coats every 3 months

Do you own a DA polisher?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well at least you didn't pay for it. Dealerships are notorious for damaging the paint on the cars they sell. That "kid" that pulled it around is a minimum wage overworked and undertrained employee who does things like this because nobody ever showed him the right way.

Since you can't do the work yourself, seek out a qualified detailer in your area who can take a look at the paint for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing