autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help I am a little lost

Sorry, I am a total newbie at detailing cars. I winded up here because I did a lot of research in trying to find a good detailer and found that most "Auto Spas" had always so and so reviews. So I was a little scared to take my car to get detailed. I found someone but was charging so much that I thought I might as well do it myself.

However, I became very much overwhelmed with all of this information and some what lost and hoping that someone can give me a quick insight on some of my questions. and would be greatly appreciative of it.

I have a 2011 black Mercedes E350, I took it to to the "detail" shop in our office building and the guy told me I had overspray on it but I think he may had something to do with it as his wash was real crappy. Now I just want to do it myself.

The biggest things I have trouble with is the various Polishes, Waxes, etc on to how many do you use and in what order. Am I suppose to use 5 different liquids in a detail or just pick one and then wax it?

I want to do the clay bar treatment and I have a swirls and a few light scratches on my paint (there are sections on my car that feel a little rough, not smooth and glidely like paint should on car)

After the clay bar treatment. What type of solutions should I have and in what order. I saw here that there are different level of glaze, cutting liquid, top coats, sealants, etc.

Any information would be really helpful and sorry that I sound detail ignorant but I have to start somewhere.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help I am a little lost

Welcome to the newbie club!

I can say that yes, it took me a few weeks of endless reading to really power through all of the products. Trying to decipher what I need between what simply works, or what is exotic, or new, or a certain brand line because that's somebody's preference is mind boggling!

One thing that jumps out at me is you have a Mercedes. I remember coming across this:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...s-careful.html

Not sure if it applies to you. Many threads on Ceramiclear and how to check and see if your car has it, etc. I'd read a bunch.

Otherwise to answer your question:

- Wash
    - Clay
    - Polish
    - Sealant/Wax

Of all the research I've done I can say that you are going to pretty much just pick a product line. Somebody always swears by something.

My opinion as a newbie? Seems like you can't go wrong with Megs 205 or Meguiars Ultimate Compound. Both finish well with UC being a little more aggressive.

Here's what I just posted today:

From one newbie to another...

I'm nowhere near as smart on this stuff as the others here, but I do know what it feels like to be new and have a million questions. Read, read, read!

Post Thanks / Like

While I have not read it, I recommend you get Mike Phillip's book:

Mike Phillips' The Art of Detailing Paperback Book

Then you will have the info you need about the process and the products, all in one place, and laid out in an easy to follow manner. That's how I initially learned; with a book. It's much easier than trying to digest all the info here on the AGO board and on the AG site, because while the info here is exceptional, it's kinda all over the place and you often have to search for the info you need.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the info. Now with the Ceramiclear Paint is just something more to consider. LOL

I read your post and your car looks great!

I am glad you told me about these pads I was thinking about buying one of each but now I guess I have to buy more.

How many of each would you recommend and how many colors do you really need?

Quote Originally Posted by Saved by Grace View Post
    Welcome to the newbie club!

I can say that yes, it took me a few weeks of endless reading to really power through all of the products. Trying to decipher what I need between what simply works, or what is exotic, or new, or a certain brand line because that's somebody's preference is mind boggling!

One thing that jumps out at me is you have a Mercedes. I remember coming across this:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...s-careful.html

Not sure if it applies to you. Many threads on Ceramiclear and how to check and see if your car has it, etc. I'd read a bunch.

Otherwise to answer your question:

- Wash
    - Clay
    - Polish
    - Sealant/Wax

Of all the research I've done I can say that you are going to pretty much just pick a product line. Somebody always swears by something.

My opinion as a newbie? Seems like you can't go wrong with Megs 205 or Meguiars Ultimate Compound. Both finish well with UC being a little more aggressive.

Here's what I just posted today:

From one newbie to another...

I'm nowhere near as smart on this stuff as the others here, but I do know what it feels like to be new and have a million questions. Read, read, read!

Post Thanks / Like

When I got started, it was weeks and weeks of research. Luckily, during the winter, so I am ready to go now that the weather is warm

You can find a line you like and use it for compounding and polishing. Megs M105/M205 (I like Megs M105 better than Ultimate Compound, M105 has more cut).]

Or you can have various product lines. For example, I just got started in Jan/Feb. I have M105, M205, Menzerna PF2500, Menzerna SF4500 ($$$), and I just ordered CarPro Reflect. I also have Megs Ultimate compound (UC) and Ultimate Polish (UP), but M105/M205 mostly replaced UC/UP in my arsenal.

Something that took me a while to figure out - AG has a lot of "house brands". These are: Pinnacle, Wolfgang, Detailer's Pro (DP), Diamonite, Blackfire, and Cobra MF towels.

Companies such as CarPro, Menzerna, Megs, Auto Finesse, Optimum, TufShine, uhhh...lots more lol, are individual detailing product manufacturers with no ties on the manufacturing front to AutoGeek/PBMG.

Nothing wrong with house brands, at all, but that is something that I didn't pick up on until I was a few weeks into my research.
    ---------
    Now, buying the stuff to do it for the same price as you could pay to have it done...I opted to pay for the stuff. This benefits you down the line. So say you just got your car detailed and bam, a shopping cart hits it or some jackA door dings you. Now you have a scratch, etc. If you bought your own stuff for close to the same amount of money, then you would be able to fix it!

That was my reasoning behind it, and it has already paid for itself. Now, that being said, I also have a lot more money worth into detailing stuff than it would take to pay to have it done, as my first $500 order slowly replilcated itself to turn into having about $2grand worth of stuff to maintain 2 personal vehicles. So just a warning to you that you may get sucked up in it!

After wash and before clay - I recommend Iron-X. The stuff works plain and simple!

I couldn't possibly type everything that I learned through the process, but I recommend to continue with your research!

I would say ok, I need a tire shine. I would search on autogeekonline, see people talking about a product by abbreviation, such as UTTG+. Google it, figure out it means Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus, and then figure out how it ranks on the list for tire shine. What do people like about it, what do they not like about it, and what products do people keep comparing UTTG+ against? Then look into those products. I did that for every single product group there was.

To name a few product groups:
    Tire Cleaner, Tire shine, wheel cleaner, decon (iron and tar), clay/nanoskin, clay lube, quick detailer (I use diluted ONR or Ultima waterless wash), compound, polish, sealant, wax, coating, car wash soap, microfiber towels, wash mitts, DA machines, pads, pad cleaners, microfiber cleaners...I'm sure I am forgetting some lol.

Anyways, hope this helps! Read, read, read is great advice!
    2012 Toyota Camry SE | 2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome and I emphasize the reading yes and hands on is important also, we are here so feel free ask and pm us (me ).
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

welcome, the whole point of having so many products on the market is that it gives the employer or detailer options. Imo some might go for one product and others choose another.
    to start, follow the flow chart here , it will definately help clear up confusion
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...low-chart.html
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This is awesome! I now feeling kind of excited that I opted to go the DIY route. I wasn't expecting such a responsive community.

But I applied the same logic as you, the guy I was talking to was quoting anywhere from $500 - $1200 to detail my entire car and at that point I was thinking. I might as well get all of the stuff and do it myself, getting the right equipment, I can keep it up and save the couple of hundred bucks and if I really get it right I can do it for several friends for a few bucks and the investment pays for itself

I just got really overwhelmed with all of these products, I watched these different vids and read a lot of the posts.

I opted to buy the Porter Cable 7424XP and bought the sampler foam pad kit from Chemical guys, I really didn't know which ones to get and SavebyGrace just gave me the heads up that I would need several pads to complete the job, I thought several pads meant different kinds. I wasn't aware that you go through a bunch of the same type. I got confused because the Kit that I purchased had a cleaner with which said that you can reuse the pads. So I am not sure if you suppose to use pads once or can use them over.

I also bought Meguires M9 Swirl Remover because that is what I wanted to do and on Amazon it recommended to get the M2 Fine cut cleaner. So still unsure if which one I am suppose to use first.

I also purchased the Mother's Reflection Car Wax as finish it off.

For my Clay treament I bought the Meguires Smooth Surface Clay Kit.

I hope I made some good choices and chose the right products for my first detail.

Thanks a lot guys. I can already tell that I can learn a lot here.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatAvalon View Post
    When I got started, it was weeks and weeks of research. Luckily, during the winter, so I am ready to go now that the weather is warm

You can find a line you like and use it for compounding and polishing. Megs M105/M205 (I like Megs M105 better than Ultimate Compound, M105 has more cut).]

Or you can have various product lines. For example, I just got started in Jan/Feb. I have M105, M205, Menzerna PF2500, Menzerna SF4500 ($$$), and I just ordered CarPro Reflect. I also have Megs Ultimate compound (UC) and Ultimate Polish (UP), but M105/M205 mostly replaced UC/UP in my arsenal.

Something that took me a while to figure out - AG has a lot of "house brands". These are: Pinnacle, Wolfgang, Detailer's Pro (DP), Diamonite, Blackfire, and Cobra MF towels.

Companies such as CarPro, Menzerna, Megs, Auto Finesse, Optimum, TufShine, uhhh...lots more lol, are individual detailing product manufacturers with no ties on the manufacturing front to AutoGeek/PBMG.

Nothing wrong with house brands, at all, but that is something that I didn't pick up on until I was a few weeks into my research.
    ---------
    Now, buying the stuff to do it for the same price as you could pay to have it done...I opted to pay for the stuff. This benefits you down the line. So say you just got your car detailed and bam, a shopping cart hits it or some jackA door dings you. Now you have a scratch, etc. If you bought your own stuff for close to the same amount of money, then you would be able to fix it!

That was my reasoning behind it, and it has already paid for itself. Now, that being said, I also have a lot more money worth into detailing stuff than it would take to pay to have it done, as my first $500 order slowly replilcated itself to turn into having about $2grand worth of stuff to maintain 2 personal vehicles. So just a warning to you that you may get sucked up in it!

After wash and before clay - I recommend Iron-X. The stuff works plain and simple!

I couldn't possibly type everything that I learned through the process, but I recommend to continue with your research!

I would say ok, I need a tire shine. I would search on autogeekonline, see people talking about a product by abbreviation, such as UTTG+. Google it, figure out it means Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus, and then figure out how it ranks on the list for tire shine. What do people like about it, what do they not like about it, and what products do people keep comparing UTTG+ against? Then look into those products. I did that for every single product group there was.

To name a few product groups:
    Tire Cleaner, Tire shine, wheel cleaner, decon (iron and tar), clay/nanoskin, clay lube, quick detailer (I use diluted ONR or Ultima waterless wash), compound, polish, sealant, wax, coating, car wash soap, microfiber towels, wash mitts, DA machines, pads, pad cleaners, microfiber cleaners...I'm sure I am forgetting some lol.

Anyways, hope this helps! Read, read, read is great advice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the stuff like, tire dressing, is pretty easy to understand.

Paint correction is where it takes some knowledge. Basically, you need several "pads" because you will need to change your pad to a fresh one frequently. The heavier the correction you are doing, the more frequently you should change your pad. You could do a single correction step with one pad, but you would have to stop and wash it and wait for it to dry - which doesn't make time sense.

In the above, I was talking about a single color of pad. Different color pads offer different cuts. Depending on what you are trying to do and what you are working on, you will likely need multiple colors/cuts of pads. So, to recap, you will need a few pads of a few different colors each.

What colors/cuts? Again, depends on what you are trying to do, what brand they are, and even what machine you are using. If your using a PC and buying pads from AG - your probably going to get Lake Country CCS or Flat pads. If it was me, I would get at least 3 of each: orange (cutting), white (polishing), and black (finishing). If you post pics of what your trying to fix, we can likely guide you better.

When your correcting paint, your going to use the least aggressive combo to get the job done. You may need a compound /cutting pad or just a polish/polishing pad. Depending on the aggressiveness, the results of your first (most aggressive step), and your OCD - you may want/need to follow your "correction step" with a refining/jeweling step. This brings the paint up to it's full potential.

There are also microfiber pads. These can be used instead of foam pads or usually prior to a foam pad step. Generally MF pads are considered a bit more finicky to work with due to some factors I won't get into here. Looking into MF pads may be good if your paint is severely swirled - as they can be more aggressive and faster than foam to cut.

You will also need "polishes". I'm not going to go into brands, but I'd recommend having at least 3 types on hand: compound, polish, and finishing polish. You may want to check out what specific polishes people are using here, as "new tech polishes" will save you time and are easier to work with. A lot of companies still sell "old tech polishes" - likely because they are cheaper to manufacturer and people still buy them. But, it's worth the $ to get high quality polishes with good abrasive technology.

Any questions just ask.

Post Thanks / Like

500 dollars is a bit high for your car. I would say 400-450 is more fair as your car is not a truck or crossover.
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast