autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Advice For Polishing Tail Lights

I wanted to ask anyone out there which product I should use to polish some used tail lights I bought. I wanted to spruce up my DD with some newer tail lights - as my current ones are hazed pretty badly. I didn't want to invest a bunch of time & effort into restoring them when I can replace them with the next gen. of my car's model for a reasonable price.

So, I wanted to post some pics and ask the question: Which product(s) should I use, that I already own, to make them shine?

I'm sure there are other products out there that may do better than what I have, but for now I'm sure I've got something that could get the job done to a reasonable degree. But since I'm a newbie to this, I'd like to hear from the experienced detailers out there.

Other tools I have not pictured below are PCXP with a variety of pads in 5.5" and 3" - assume I have every level from cutting to polishing pads. Also have 2 hand polishing pads (WG I believe), and plenty of MF towels.

As you can see in the attached pics, my installed lights have seen better days. The replacements look far better, and I would like to make them even better using my box of goodies. Just a guess, but the Diamondite and Pinnacle products might not do the job, but I thought I'd include them just in case a lesser aggressive product is needed.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need Advice For Polishing Tail Lights-01-1_old-upper-tail-jpg   Need Advice For Polishing Tail Lights-02-1_old-lower-tail-jpg   Need Advice For Polishing Tail Lights-03-1_old-upper-tail-closeup-jpg   Need Advice For Polishing Tail Lights-04-1_new-tail-light-assembly-jpg   Need Advice For Polishing Tail Lights-06-1_new-upper-tail-closeup-jpg   Need Advice For Polishing Tail Lights-07-1_the-goods-jpg   Need Advice For Polishing Tail Lights-08-1_the-arsenal-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Advice For Polishing Tail Lights

The new ones could probably just use the WGFG on a light cutting pad. If that doesn't work, try wet sanding with some 3000 and then the FG. Even the old ones could be refinished with some 800/1000/1500/3000 wet sanding and then the WGFG. Then top either one with the paint sealant.
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar's PlastX would clean them up nice
    Dirt-B-Gone Mobile Detailing
    www.HandWashAndWax.com
    facebook.com/DBGMobileDetailing John Wells

Post Thanks / Like

M105/205 worked for me on mine.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used Meguiar's plastic cleaner and plastic polish with great success. Plastic polish is all you would need on new lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

hint: Use DP Plex-All on your taillamps every couple weeks and you will never need to polish them and they will always shine better than new.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g35_coupe View Post
    The new ones could probably just use the WGFG on a light cutting pad. If that doesn't work, try wet sanding with some 3000 and then the FG. Even the old ones could be refinished with some 800/1000/1500/3000 wet sanding and then the WGFG. Then top either one with the paint sealant.
    Thanks! I wasn't sure if TSR would be too strong or just right. I'll try out WGFG 1st w/ the light cutting pad and see what results I get.

I don't have any sand paper around. Last time I touched sand paper was in woodshop in high school 20 yrs. ago. One of these days I'll have the courage to try it out. Thanks for the pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by jwellsii View Post
    Meguiar's PlastX would clean them up nice
    I don't have this, but I did see it in my local detailers store. I think I'll go with what I have 1st, and keep this in mind if it's not a success.

Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post
    M105/205 worked for me on mine.
    I stopped in to my local detailers store to pick up some waffle weave MF towels, and I saw the smaller M105/M205 bottles. I thought, with so many people singing its praise on so many levels, I need to have them in my arsenal. So I grabbed them. I'm going to try out my WG products 1st, and then I'll have the Megs as backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn One View Post
    I have used Meguiar's plastic cleaner and plastic polish with great success. Plastic polish is all you would need on new lenses.
    I don't have this, but I did see it in my local detailers store. Thanks for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    hint: Use DP Plex-All on your taillamps every couple weeks and you will never need to polish them and they will always shine better than new.
    Looks interesting. A good product to have around to maintain them. Looks like I just missed the sale, but I'll place it in my wishlist for a future order. Thanks for the tip!