autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tiger Stripes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tiger Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I guess you'd better stop polishing it, then. How would a tintcoat behave any differently with tiger-striping than a regular clearcoat? If I locally thin my clear I will change the appearance of it, also.

I have never read on this forum or any other about any dangers of polishing tintcoat, in terms of causing uneven appearance.
    I'm pretty new to this...I don't know if it's going to change the color or not. I don't know that tint coats are that widely used. I know it's a three step paint process. I don't know how much affect it has on the final color of the paint. Never really thought about it until I saw this thread...

Mike Phillips

One of my former students is restoring the original paint on a 1971 Dodge Cornet, I just sent him an e-mail to this thread and gave him some tips on how to avoid putting Tiger Stripes into the paint.

He's sent me some before pictures and has taken a few more before he starts the #7 Show Car Glazes treatment. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. The paint is in pretty bad shape so fingers are crossed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I'm pretty new to this...I don't know if it's going to change the color or not. I don't know that tint coats are that widely used. I know it's a three step paint process. I don't know how much affect it has on the final color of the paint. Never really thought about it until I saw this thread...
    That's something I have been thinking about too... Allot of the GM extra cost paints are "tintcoat" paints.

As for what color the tint coat is? I don't think I've ever heard of any situation where the tint coat was a different color than the base coat.. Maybe a different shade, but the same base color/tint..
    I see swirls everywhere!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Solids

When spraying automotive paint a solid color can be applied in just about any direction with overlapping patterns that ensure complete and uniform coverage.

If the coat is applied too wet you'll libel to end up with runs. If it's too light then you'll end up with dry spots...neither of these are good because it requires more work and time to straighten the mess out.

Metallic's

When spraying metallic's, flake, or what was called iridescent by some paint manufactures required a much different approach. Overlapping sprays in a crisscross pattern ensured complete coverage but if it was applied too wet the flake would sink leaving the area dark and lifeless or worse not uniform and very disappointing....sort of what Mike's photos illustrate.

I used to apply 2 to 3 wet coats of metallic, let it set for 5 to 10 minutes then dust a light coat of paint in order for the flake to remain higher or closer to the surface giving it a nice bright uniform sparkle...very pleasing to the eye......Then clear of course...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishincricket View Post
    That's something I have been thinking about too... Allot of the GM extra cost paints are "tintcoat" paints.

As for what color the tint coat is? I don't think I've ever heard of any situation where the tint coat was a different color than the base coat.. Maybe a different shade, but the same base color/tint..
    Tinting usually refers to a small amount of (a) color added to the clear coat to give it a slightly richer or different appearance especially under certain lights.

My Z06 Corvette has a tinted clear on it and it give a richer tone to the Millennium Yellow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Tinting usually refers to a small amount of (a) color added to the clear coat to give it a slightly richer or different appearance especially under certain lights.

My Z06 Corvette has a tinted clear on it and it give a richer tone to the Millennium Yellow.
    So if you were to do a correction to your vette it would stain the pad a yellowish color from the small amount of yellow tint in the clear... Am I understanding that right?
    I see swirls everywhere!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishincricket View Post
    So if you were to do a correction to your vette it would stain the pad a yellowish color from the small amount of yellow tint in the clear... Am I understanding that right?
    Yes, you are understanding this correctly, BUT, tint is usually so slight that the effect will be picked up by the eye but not enough to show a lot of color on the pad...

I'm sure that if enough tint was added to turn the clean into a translucent color then you'd certainly see some color on a white pad....

Mike Phillips

Tiger Stripes

Below is the only pictures that kind of show what tiger stripes would look like on old, single stage metallic paints.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Tiger Stripes from the buffing process
    For this meaning of the term tiger stripes, if you buff too much on single stage metallic paint you will remove enough pigmented or colored paint plus abraded the aluminum flakes enough to leave stripes or lines in the paint that mimic the way you moved the buffer over the paint.

I don't have any good pictures of Tiger Stripes from over-buffing single stage metallic paint. I've seen it in my life but must not have had a camera handy.

You can get an idea of what this over buffing of single stage paint can look like in this write-up. I'm not saying my friend Craig over buffed this paint, it could have happened from before he owned the car. But you can definitely see a pattern of light and dark lines in the paint after he removed the extreme oxidation and restored clarity and gloss to the finish.

1971 Dodge Coronet Original Paint Extreme Makeover with Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze

Before

After

IF you look you can see dark sections and light sections this is where less paint and more paint has been removed at some point in the car's life from buffing.

This doesn't mean Craig the owner did it when he saved the paint job, he may have, he may have also revealed the appearance differences when he removed the oxidation.

What can you do?
    The best thing you can do when buffing on single stage metallic paint is to take a very non-aggressive approach when choosing compounds and polishes and use a light touch. Then always use a crosshatch pattern when buffing, don't simply go from side to side.

And if it's not your car then less is more...

First educate your customer on the type of paint their car has and the unique issues buffing on and restoring this type of paint brings to the table. Then under promise what you can do and then do your best to over deliver. And of course this forum is always here to help.

So buff slow... don't buff aggressive... light pressure and more time.

It would be much safer to use a dual action polisher IF you are in fact working on antique single stage paint and IF you are in fact working on antique single stage METALLIC paint.

Tricky stuff when it's old and neglected.

Hope that helps...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12