autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thread: MF linting

Post Thanks / Like

MF linting

So I finally bought some plush mf towels, first couple of uses were fine, but now they really started linting, what are your trick to minimize linting?

I machine wash them, 2 rinses with some vinegar in the final rinse, and put them in the dryer at low heat with no fabric softner. sometimes I wash them with my MF wash mitts, is that a problem?

thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MF linting

Your technique is correct. No worries there.

What kind of towels? I bought 3 of the plush cobras couple month ago and they are unusable they lint so much and this is after multiple washes. I bought some newer cobras and no issue with linting.
    2017 Mercedes Benz AMG C43
    2016 Acura MDX SH-awd

Post Thanks / Like

After you get them out of the dryer or before you use them iron them out with a lint roller. It will help eliminate the linting problem.

I have noticed that my Meguiars mf towels lint really bad on my black cars compared to my purple cobras. The lint roller eliminates the linting from the cobras but the Meguiars will still lint to a small certain degree.

Post Thanks / Like

1. make sure your using a HQ microfiber cleaner and restorer, the one from blackfire is incredible. NEVER use normal detergent, this will cause the fibers to loose there softness and pull apart real easily.

2. like mentioned above, use a lint roller after each wash.

3. when washing no longer use vinegar, I assume you were using it to soften the water right? Still, do not use vinegar, its a stripping agent and is no good for your towels.

4. When washing, dont put it on heavy, heavy beats the MF really hard.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks smack, that's a good idea! the mf I'm using are the blue cookie monsters from eshine, and the lint does show on black like crazy!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My MF towels have started to lint terribly. I did make the mistake of washing them wrong once, now I'm using the Chemical guys wash. I basically got three washes out of them with no issues now my "Big Blue" drying towels leave more lint than anything. I've tried the lint roller thing too and still linting. The Gold Plushes lint but not as bad.

Are these junk now ? Or is there anything I can try ? That or find something else to dry with ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
    My MF towels have started to lint terribly. I did make the mistake of washing them wrong once, now I'm using the Chemical guys wash. I basically got three washes out of them with no issues now my "Big Blue" drying towels leave more lint than anything. I've tried the lint roller thing too and still linting. The Gold Plushes lint but not as bad.

Are these junk now ? Or is there anything I can try ? That or find something else to dry with ?
    Try to avoid drying the glass with mf drying towels and use dedicated glass mf towels. Glass is useally very grippy and can pull out the mf from the towel. I also don't use the dryer after a wash as it's also something that's coarse on even clothes. So wash and not a centrifuge on the washer over 1000rpm. Also some mf stores I have seen to claim to don't use Chemical Guys mf wash. Why that's so I really don't know and have seen on domestic stores. Get something like the 3D Towel Kleen that seems to be liked here on AGO.

If you did a wrong wash and the mf fibers got stiff it can be that they are damaged and breaks down the mf fibers as long as you be useing it. Also clear out the filter thoroughly in the washer. It can be that you have residue left in the washer too. Sometimes when I'm going to use the washer I have a couple of old non useable mf towels. But them in the washer and on the highest heat setting and wash with only these mf towels in it. Mf towels is as you know really good to hold up dust and other lint from cotton and also a good cleaner. So this wash helps me to clean out the washer from time to time. Also look up if you have something like a cleaning kit with chemicals you put in the washer to clean it up sometimes. With this you have take out the washer to have any problems.

8. Likes scarabchuck liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just cringed and bought the PFM towel , it will never be washed in the washer, hand wash only.

10. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
    I just cringed and bought the PFM towel , it will never be washed in the washer, hand wash only.
    I have dozens of PFM's, and they are remarkable. However, be careful around badges and anything that can grab them, as they will snag.

Also, be sure to wash them in a microfiber wash, like towel clean from 3d, or griots. Its a pain, but worth the extra effort, and not very expensive.

Bill