autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about Jeweling?

I've got a "jeweling" pad but never knew what to do with it. Can I use it with something like P21S Paintwork Cleanser?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Shortspark View Post
    I've got a "jeweling" pad but never knew what to do with it. Can I use it with something like P21S Paintwork Cleanser?
    Not really.

P21S Paintwork Cleanser is a non-abrasive lotion almost like a skin creme.

You want an ultra fine cut polish, we're talking, Menzerna SF 4500, Sonax Nano Polish, Optimum Finish Polish, something along these types of ultra fine polishes.

At the same time it's your car you can definitely give it a try it might work wonders in your eyes but jewelling by definition is removing any of the finest of shallow defects while squeezing every last drop of shine, depth, gloss and clarity out of the paint. For this you would want something that offers just a little cut or ability to abrade.

That all said, I have never used P21S Paintwork Cleanser on paint with a jeweling pad with any machine so take one for the team and test it out.

Like I always say...

"You don't know what you can do until you try.... so try...."

Jewelling - Definition

This 1949 Chevy Sedan Delivery was Jewelled using only a Rotary Buffer
    Bumblebee - Testing out the NEW DeWALT DWP849X

How to Jewel Paint using a Rotary Buffer

Jewelling
    Jewelling is a term for what I always called finish polishing, both terms mean to bring the paint to the highest degree of gloss, shine, depth, reflectivity etc. and this is done by making the paint as perfectly flat as possible at the microscopic level.

Just to make sure there's no confusion, when I use the word flat I don't mean as in dull or matte, I mean as smooth and equal in surface level, as in perfectly flat like the surface of a glass window. The car body panel itself can be curved but the paint on the curved panel must be perfectly flat and smooth.

I personally like the term jewelling better than finish polishing because the word jewel conjures up a picture in your mind, or the idea of a highly polished gemstone that glistens when light reflects off its surfaces.

A few years ago when the term jewelling reached the tipping point and became a commonly used term on detailing discussion forums I posted a request to one forum and asked for a volunteer to write an official definition for the term.

To this date I have not found an official definition written as such by anyone. So after waiting for a few years I'll volunteer to take a stab at it.

Jewelling - Definition
    The final machine polishing step in which an ultra soft foam finishing pad with no mechanical abrading ability, (in and of itself), is used with a high lubricity ultra fine finishing polish to remove any remaining microscopic surface imperfections out of an automotive paint finish usually after the paint has been previously put through a series of machine compounding and polishing procedures to create a near perfect finish to start with.

Open to suggestions to tweak the definition and perfect it and standardize it for the detailing industry.

Also just want to add that while in most cases jewelling is the last step after a series of previous compounding and polishing steps, it is also possible to start with a near perfect finish. For example, at some other time the paint was already compounded and polished but needs to be refreshed to restore perfection.

1949 Chevy Sedan Delivery - Swirls removed and show car finish by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike, I have the P21S so next time I might just give it a try and see what happens. At least I now know what my jeweling pad is for!

Post Thanks / Like
    If I was using LC CSS pads what color should in choose for this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goodinblack View Post
    If I was using LC CSS pads what color should in choose for this?
    Gold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    From my understanding, you'd have to use a non cutting pad, with a fine polish, (probably the finer the better)

"Could be wrong"

Post Thanks / Like

A gold Lake Country pad along with Menzerna SF4500 is a tried and true Jeweling combination.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Smack

Post Thanks / Like
    I asked the main guy at Detailing in Irvine if he could explain Jeweling. He pretty much said the same thing you did Mike.

"To perfect the paint even more and bring out even more shine" (not exact words)

You should Copyright your Definition Mike

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast