autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Clayed my car and scratched the hell out of it

Clayed my car and scratched the hell out of it

Okay, I need a littled advice here. I washed my car this weekend and then rolled it into the garage for an application of WGDGP. However, I felt a couple of panels and decided that it needed a clay first. I clayed the hood, roof and trunck and then i had to go run an errand. I came back to my car and noticed that I scratched the hell out of the finish. Not bad scratches but none the less it took about 2 passes with the M205.

What did I do wrong? I am fairly certain that the car was clean. Was the clay old and full of contaminents? It was bright blue but it was old. I am not a detailers, it's just a hobby for me? The clay was Megs medium grade, is that too harsh? Or, was I not using the clay lube right?

I have no idea and could use a little help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clayed my car and scratched the hell out of it

Well when you lay you want to make sure that the clay is always lubed; the panel that you are claying should never be dry (even after you spray it, you kinda gotta keep spraying it every now and then to prevent that) or else it will scratch your paint. Not sure about medium grade, since I've never used megs medium grade before, but it could be that it's too harsh too. Wait for some others who've used it to chime in.

Post Thanks / Like

Medium grade clay will leave a good bit of marring behind. Also I'd have to ask, how often were you folding the clay and kneading it to a clean flat shape while claying? If the clay gets all loaded with brake/rail dust or other gritty contaminants and you don't fold the clay and knead it to a new clean flat shape you can be rubbing metallic particles over your car's paint.

Another thing to think about is temperature, was it cold while you were claying? If the clay is cold and hard while you're claying, the contaminates tend to stay more so between the clay and the paint instead of imbedding themselves into the clay and staying off the paint.

4. Likes DirtyConcepts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It will vary based on you paint type, clay grade, an clay lube you are using....but I find most cars will see at least some amount of marring from claying. Because of this, I never clay unless I plan on polishing too.

Of the many clays I've tried, this Pinnacle clay seems to be the most mild. A good slick clay lube is also a must and Meguiar's Last Touch is one of my favorites.

Rasky
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    It will vary based on you paint type, clay grade, an clay lube you are using....but I find most cars will see at least some amount of marring from claying. Because of this, I never clay unless I plan on polishing too.

Of the many clays I've tried, this Pinnacle clay seems to be the most mild. A good slick clay lube is also a must and Meguiar's Last Touch is one of my favorites.

Rasky
    This is one step that I rarely seen talked about on this forum, and others. I think people are getting bad advice from a lot of the how to articles that don't advise this. IMO if clay is touching paint you should be at the very least using a paint cleaner with a polishing pad to follow it up. Great advice Chad!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. It was warm and I was folding the clay often. I was using dish soap and water as the clay lube which has always worked well for me in the past and I have never noticed the scratching before.

I'll try a milder grade of clay. The paint is in good condition now so I probably don't need something harsh.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the Pinnacle clay on my black Camaro and even that left marring behind. It was brand new clay, I was using plenty of lube (possibly too much), and the paint was definitely clean. I agree with Rasky, especially with dark cars.

Post Thanks / Like

How long did it take you to clay your car?
    There's one guy on here that can clay a sedan in under 10 minutes!

Post Thanks / Like

I had called a neighborhood detail shop asking to buy some bulk clay or where I could get it locally before I found AG. He told me he never clays and if he must he used some synthetic clay compound. He advised me against it on my Black Cobra. But I did it using the Meguiar's clay kit and had no issues.
    Learning to detail for fun and to show my 96 Ford SVT Cobra, Black. My dad always said I was going to wax the paint right off my car. Would wax every weekend. GG 6" DAP

Post Thanks / Like

I was introduced to clay many years ago by a body shop who had done some painting for me. When picking up the car I noticed some overspray, so the body shop owner came out with some clay and lube and removed the overspray perfectly and quickly without any damage to the paint. Thats the day I got sold on the product. I keep a few bars of Pinnicle clay handy all the time and find it to be the least aggtessive of the clays out there. I must admit I use a lot of lube when I clay my car, the only time I've ever had any problems with clay is when I used smaller amounts of lube.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast