autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Where did you read Citrus Wash Clear was a stripping shampoo? CG says many times in the add its "wax safe" and pH neutral. Are you confusing it with Citrus Wash Red?
    2oz per gallon.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clayed my car and scratched the hell out of it

I've only clayed twice and have not had any issues. I currently have Meguiar's.

Post Thanks / Like

I always use a light polish after claying for this reason. My car is black so when I clay I too see marring.
    A little 205 on a finishing pad takes care of the marring.

Post Thanks / Like

I used a clay bar for the first time two years ago and was a bit worried trying this process on my 911's paint. The paint by the way was near perfect with only very light scratches/swirls to start with, but it did have contaminants embedded in the surface.

I followed the instructions on Mike's on-line video and after doing a small section on my car, my worries about claying vanished. Nothing could be easier and more relaxing to do.

One trick I came across myself was to listen to the clay and that happened when the washer in the room next to the garage finished its cycle. You can actually "hear" the clay picking up contaminants (although you can feel it as well when sliding the clay across the paint). When all contaminants have been picked up by the clay, all you can hear is the clay lubricant being plowed by the clay bar.

A wipe with a micro-fiber towel and the end result was a paint surface as smooth as glass.

Meguair's 205 with a Lake Country Blue CCS pad followed by a wax and the result was phenomenal.

I did not experience any marring of the paint after claying.

BTW, I used the Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay and lubricant.

5. Likes 1500canoe liked this post
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 04Golf View Post
    Trix is a tar and iron remover where as Iron-x is just an iron remover?
    Trix are for kids, silly rabbit

Post Thanks / Like

We use fine clay 20 to 50 times per week. I have not seen what you are describing but will be watching closer now. I have in reserve some mild clay that I am saving for when that car with severe overspray or bonded contaminants comes in. I'm fairly new, but I think you need fine/ultra fine/mild clay if you want to avoid marring.

Post Thanks / Like

just want to say im not a pro detailer but i tried nano skin on my da and dont think i will ever use clay again. not to say i didnt get good results when i used it but the nano skin was much easier to use and i got very nice results. the paint was very smooth and the truck was an 03

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. I have the nano skin wash mitts and they are fabulous!! I tried both the DA version and the wash mitt during an Autogeek class, can't go wrong with both.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theparmachine View Post
    Clayed my car and scratched the hell out of it

Okay, I need a littled advice here. I washed my car this weekend and then rolled it into the garage for an application of WGDGP. However, I felt a couple of panels and decided that it needed a clay first. I clayed the hood, roof and trunck and then i had to go run an errand. I came back to my car and noticed that I scratched the hell out of the finish. Not bad scratches but none the less it took about 2 passes with the M205.

What did I do wrong? I am fairly certain that the car was clean. Was the clay old and full of contaminents? It was bright blue but it was old. I am not a detailers, it's just a hobby for me? The clay was Megs medium grade, is that too harsh? Or, was I not using the clay lube right?

I have no idea and could use a little help.
    You need to use a lubricant in order to clay your car. I recommend not to use the same piece of clay over and over again since its the same are cleaning yourself with a dirty towel. I am attaching you this video and hopefully it helps out. It is a bit long but informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqW1nzgyMNA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theparmachine View Post
    I have since switched to the Nano Skin wash mitts and I must say that these things are great.

I first found out about them at the Mike Phillips detailing bootcamp and they have never let me down. They get the job done quickly and I have not noticed marring with the fine grade mitt, the medium grade mitt will mar.
    NANOSKIN F T W!! - I've only gotten marring one time using them, it was on some very soft Ferrari paint. Nothing some 101 couldn't fix though. Just need LOTS of lube!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast