autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clayed my car and scratched the hell out of it

Use pinnacle ultra fine clay with pinnacle clay lube,I clay my black Audi a4 and my corolla s once a month and it looks like class. Don't press to hard and keep it well lubicated, I would only use medium clay to remove things like paint over spray. Best of luck to you my friend and shine on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SkateForGirl View Post
    I did this with Wolfgang clay on a little bit of a panel. I threw that crap in the garbage after.
    I'll stick with Zaino and some no name brands.

Just bought some over the Black Friday weekend sales for a new black car. Now I find your shining recommendation. I will be hesitant at best now to use it. I do however have polish, pads and a PC and should be able to correct anything that may happen.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Purchase a detailing clay kit. Detailing clay kits that can be purchased for a nominal price at any parts store can be a great tool for improving the look of paint jobs. Be sure to follow the directions on the package very carefully as improper use can do more damage than good to the paint. Clay is usually marketed as a tool for cleaning paint but is a good item to use for smoothing out the scratched area. Clay often will not eliminate the scratch completely, but will minimize its appearance. Use clay sparingly as it is an abrasive and will eventually do permanent damage to your paint job. Clay is a good choice for larger or more textured scratches. Follow up with a good wax job.

• 2Rubbing compounds, also available at any parts store, are safe, cheap and easy to use. The liquid is simply rubbed onto the scratch using a cloth or waxing machine. As with clay, rubbing compound will not completely remove the scratch, but can significantly reduce its appearance. Rubbing compound is less abrasive than clay so it is best used on smaller scratches and dings that need less attention. Follow this procedure with a coat of wax.

• 3If after trying clay or rubbing compound, you are still not satisfied with your car's appearance, go get some touch up paint. Write down the VIN number of your vehicle (usually located on the dashboard or on the inside of your door) to give to the auto parts store. The store can use the VIN number to look up the exact factory match for your paint. If they don't have it in stock, they can usually order it for you. Touch up paint is pretty inexpensive at around ten dollars a bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    The griots clay is also very mild - always works and never mars..
    Quote Originally Posted by freddie46 View Post
    Sorry that happened to you. I use Griot's produsts, Paint Clay and Speed Shine as a lubricant, plus I follow the directions that come with it. It works great and have never had a problem. Glad you were able to get your paint back in good condition.
    Amen. I use Griot's clay and have never had any issues with significant marring. Griot's is a med grade but is pretty soft compared to others, so that it pulls contaminants into the clay and away from the paint very well. It does get really gooey and stick to your fingers on a hot day, though. Your fingers will go through it in a couple minutes if it's hot enough. I used to see that as an annoyance, but I realize that it makes their clay safer than others.
    I'm totally sold on Griot's clay.
    It leaves behind very very slight marring, so if you must have it Concours quality, you do need a very light polish after. It is a very slight reduction in shine, so I can still go right to wax iof I like, but I often use Griots one step sealant, which contains a fine hand polish, so it's all takwen care of then.

The first time I used clay it was Mothers, over 15 years ago on a 50 degree night, and I was removing house paint overspray that had been on there for months, that had gone through the fabric car cover. It scratched the hell out of the black single stage lacquer paint . I used their clay lube that came with the kit. I had to polish a lot after that. I was too scared to clay for years after. Griot's claimed his clay was safer than others, and so I tried it. He was right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    have you tried Iron X before claying? Might make things a bit easier, and save your clay to boot...
    This is very true. On heavily contaminated cars I have seen Iron-X turn the entire car purple and after a second wash it seems like it barely needs to be clayed. It's still going to take longer than 10 mins though to do a thorough job to remove any remaining embedded particulates.

Quote Originally Posted by kimchiboi777 View Post
    I was going to clay my car, but now this thread scared me since I know nothing about polishing...
    Don't be afraid. If your car has never been clayed before it needs it badly. Go with a mild OTC option like the Meg's or Mother's clay kit and do a test spot and check for marring. If you see no marring and use good technique over the rest of the car you should be fine. If marring does occur it would (typically) be on the degree of something that can be rubbed out with a good polish or cleaner wax.

If that still doesn't sound like something you're up for, a purely chemical decon using Iron-X or Trix will still eliminate much of the airborne contaminates and brake dust that become embedded into the paint.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    If that still doesn't sound like something you're up for, a purely chemical decon using Iron-X or Trix will still eliminate much of the airborne contaminates and brake dust that become embedded into the paint.
    Trix is a tar and iron remover where as Iron-x is just an iron remover?

Post Thanks / Like
    CG light duty clay bar and Luber. I used this combo today and it went very very well. Picked up a lot of noseeums - I could feel the difference but couldn't see what it was getting. Possibly sap ?
    Paint was very clean to start with I used a stripping solution of CG wash and clear. I just wanted to make sure it was tight before sealing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick72 View Post
    CG light duty clay bar and Luber. I used this combo today and it went very very well. Picked up a lot of noseeums - I could feel the difference but couldn't see what it was getting. Possibly sap ?
    Paint was very clean to start with I used a stripping solution of CG wash and clear. I just wanted to make sure it was tight before sealing.
    Where did you read Citrus Wash Clear was a stripping shampoo? CG says many times in the add its "wax safe" and pH neutral. Are you confusing it with Citrus Wash Red?

Post Thanks / Like

I have soft paint and cant go wrong with mothers clay kit used it for several years with ONR lube dilution and then I tried optimum opti eraser fine grade on a test spot and that was a no go and marred it badly, so stuck with mothers. On my paint mothers leaves very minor marring which can be cleared up with a polish which I do anyway after claying, but the clay is still strong enough to remove contaminants. I would just avoid $25 for it, I've purchased it anywhere from $13-18.
    2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD Black Sapphire Metallic; Modded

Post Thanks / Like

I have since switched to the Nano Skin wash mitts and I must say that these things are great.

I first found out about them at the Mike Phillips detailing bootcamp and they have never let me down. They get the job done quickly and I have not noticed marring with the fine grade mitt, the medium grade mitt will mar.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast