autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clayed my car and scratched the hell out of it

Quote Originally Posted by shoeless89 View Post
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, I've never seen any marring from claying
    I would agree with this statement, provided the vehicle that is being clayed is never driven in snow/rain/dirt, etc...

In other words, what I'm saying is, in my toy cars, that only see sunshine and probably 5k miles a year, when I clay it, it's very easy, and I can get it done in under an hour. No marring whatsoever.

But on my minivan for example? or my civic? That sees the harshness of salt and sand along with the brake dust for 4 months out of the year? That crap is EMBEDDED in my paint. So when I clay, I have to go over the same spot, over and over and over and over, till everything comes off. So what happens from repeated rubbing? You guessed it, marring. That's even if the temps are warm and repeated kneading of the clay bar.
    2012 Ford Mustang 5.0 - Kona Blue Christened name: MARILYN
    2012 Acura TSX S.E. - Silver Moon Christened name: TORI
    2013 Toyota Prius V - Blue Ribbon Metallic Christened name: PORTIA

Post Thanks / Like

have you tried Iron X before claying?

Might make things a bit easier, and save your clay to boot...
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

It would make some sense that if someone tried to clay his or her car, that some issues would happen if the paint is really dirty (snow, salt, combination of the two).

I live North of Maine and we have winter conditions from December to March. My car is a daily driver (no exception) and it sees a lot of crap of the roads. Today, my charcoal car is brown and white (a crust), I only see charcoal on the roof and the top of the trunk...

I wash my car every 2 weeks and I must use 3 Cobras washing mits to not "destroy" my paint. The 2 buckets system is really helpful (I change the water and soap 2 times at least). Pre-rinse, wash with care, rewash and dry really gently. I have a heated underground parking at my in-laws.

I have not clayed my car since November but it is still pretty good. I had a good coat of wax from November but it goes pretty thin right now. (I always end my washing with Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer, it helps a lot).

I would never clay a car if the paint was really dirty... If you can't wash a car for 4 months in the winter, I'm really sorry for you... I almost cry at the end of my 2 weeks...

Now, it is time to update my inventory for Spring! Bring the Menzerna paint scelant!
    Pagani Zonda R Rules!

Post Thanks / Like

I did this with Wolfgang clay on a little bit of a panel. I threw that crap in the garbage after.
    I'll stick with Zaino and some no name brands.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Their's a huge variable that is a HUGE factor in the kind of results you get no matter what product you're using on a car and that is the PAINT SYSTEM on the car. Cars painted on the assembly line use different paint systems between manufactures, models and even the same model can have a different paint system used today than was used last year.

Body shops spray "paint systems", that is a brand and type of paint and paint companies, just like computer companies, are continually improving and changing their formulas, so the PPG "paint system" sprayed today can be different than the same PPG product code/paint system sprayed 2 years ago.

Some paints can be marred or scratched, called clay haze by claying while others are not affected. It all has to do with the characteristics of the paint and paint systems are huge variables when it comes to working and detailing your car.

One thing a person can do before claying an entire car, especially if it's the first time they've worked on this particular car, which is a another way of saying, worked on this particular paint system is to do what I call a Test Spot.

Test the clay and clay lube you're using to one small area and then inspect the results in good lighting and even two different kinds of light. If the results look good then keep claying the car. If you see any kind of problem then stop and evaluate the situation, even come to this forum and describe what you're seeing.

And I agree with Chad that a safe practice is to only clay if and when you were already planning on polishing the paint. That's a safe practice but it's not necessary for everyone and for every paint system.

Here's an article I wrote recently that talks about different paint systems...

Hologram Free with a Rotary Buffer

I experienced this last weekend with my car. I finally got around to buffing out all the body shop damage. I hadn't clayed it in a while and it really needed it. The hood and fender that the body shop painted marred something terrible, but the rest of the car was ok. A few places had some haze, but nothing at all like the hood. I was using the Megs clay.
    -Laura
    2009 Audi A5 3.2L Quattro Deep Sea Blue S-Line & 1986 Jeep CJ7 360 V8 Auto w/B&M Shift Kit

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was going to clay my car, but now this thread scared me since I know nothing about polishing...

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of clay, I'm going to order the medium nanoskin clay wash mitt. I'll still wash and rinse the car before claying, I don't like the idea of claying just by rinsing off the loose dirt. There will still be some residual dirt left on the car.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

The griots clay is also very mild - always works and never mars..
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SSizzlin' View Post
    Speaking of clay, I'm going to order the medium nanoskin clay wash mitt. I'll still wash and rinse the car before claying, I don't like the idea of claying just by rinsing off the loose dirt. There will still be some residual dirt left on the car.
    You need to change your name to GTizzlin'.
    2012 Ford Mustang 5.0 - Kona Blue Christened name: MARILYN
    2012 Acura TSX S.E. - Silver Moon Christened name: TORI
    2013 Toyota Prius V - Blue Ribbon Metallic Christened name: PORTIA

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry that happened to you. I use Griot's produsts, Paint Clay and Speed Shine as a lubricant, plus I follow the directions that come with it. It works great and have never had a problem. Glad you were able to get your paint back in good condition.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast