autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Two Types of Bird Dropping Etchings

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    I've got a few links for you but don't want to hijack this thread so I'm just going to PM them to you.
    Appreciate it man, checkin them out now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Two Types of Bird Dropping Etchings

Copyright ©PBMA - AutogeekOnline.net® All Rights Reserved

Two Types of Bird Dropping Etchings
    • Type I Bird Dropping - Topical Stain Etching
    • Type II Bird Dropping - Fractured/Wrinkled Etching

There are two common types of damage associated with bird dropping etchings;

Type I Bird Dropping - Topical Stain Etching
    Type I Topical Stain Etchings are usually only topical, that is shallow enough that they can be completely removed or at least greatly improved to the point where they are difficult to see.

This type of etching can be removed using a clear coat safe compound or polish by hand or machine. Hand removal is almost always more efficient as you can exert more pressure to a small area and thus keep your work area isolated to just the affected area. By machine you can use a Spot Repair System, again to keep the work area isolated to just the affected area.

Photo courtesy of MeguiarsOnline.com

Type II Bird Dropping - Fractured/Wrinkled Etching
    Type II Wrinkled Etchings are usually too deep to fix safely. The problem is the paint fractures, (splits apart in tiny lines,), or wrinkles as the paint swells and bunches together. In both instances, the resulting defect is throughout the clear layer of paint and not topical. Thus trying to remove it will require removing so much clear paint that you will likely expose the basecoat, or colored layer of paint which has a dull appearance. For this reason it's not safe to try to remove a Type II Bird Dropping Wrinkled or Fractured Etching.

Photo courtesy of AutogeekOnline.com

My god....looking at that first photo sure does get ones blood pressure up...I think that starling was on a mission.

Post Thanks / Like

When I get small chips similar to the egg shell type I use a plastic razor blade and touch up paint and work the paintever so thin into the chip by dragging it across it like putting on body putty. You get the chip filled and don't have a gob of paint aorund the area to have to deal with. They after it drys good I polish it to smooth it out. Not perfect but better than the chip. On a side note the piant will scrap right off the plastic blade so you can use it over again.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by WAXOFF View Post

When I get small chips similar to the egg shell type I use a plastic razor blade and touch up paint and work the paintever so thin into the chip by dragging it across it like putting on body putty.

You get the chip filled and don't have a gob of paint aorund the area to have to deal with.

They after it drys good I polish it to smooth it out. Not perfect but better than the chip. On a side note the piant will scrap right off the plastic blade so you can use it over again.

Good tip...

Sounds like a technique a person would have to practice to perfect. Not everyone is skilled enough to do this type of touch-up paint work.

I think the key to succeess for this type of work is to first start without the cracks or fissure filled with compound, polish or wax residue.

Mike Phillips

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike,

Not to bump up an old thread, but are there any specific clear coat safe compounds you’d recommend? I tried Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound after usingy GG G5 and Boss Orange foam pads with BF One Step didn’t fully remove the stains I had from 10 droppings while at a car meet today.

I can slightly feel them after polishing over so I fear it’s the second type. Really bums me out given that it’s 1 year old paint and I had just washed it this morning and it had One Step and Sonax PNS applied. It was only on the car for a couple of hours but of course in the sunlight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Two Types of Bird Dropping Etchings-eb2f12bb-a303-4155-a782-d166e934d2da-jpeg   Two Types of Bird Dropping Etchings-d027906e-f6e2-4101-bd2e-6ebe6bd8c26a-jpeg  
    2006 Mk5 GTI
    2018 BRG Miata Club

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by g60corrado91 View Post

Hi Mike,

Not to bump up an old thread,
    When it comes to any article I've written there's no such thing as

"bumping and old thread"

I write for the future, never the present. What I wrote in this article is still just as accurate as when I wrote it over 10 years ago.

Time stamp = 04-16-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote Originally Posted by g60corrado91 View Post

but are there any specific clear coat safe compounds you’d recommend? I tried Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound after using GG G5 and Boss Orange foam pads with BF One Step didn’t fully remove the stains I had from 10 droppings while at a car meet today.

I can slightly feel them after polishing over so I fear it’s the second type. Really bums me out given that it’s 1 year old paint and I had just washed it this morning and it had One Step and Sonax PNS applied. It was only on the car for a couple of hours but of course in the sunlight.
    Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is a great compound.

You can get more cut by using a FIBER pad because FIBERS ARE ABRASIVES.

When using a fiber pad with a compound you have TWO things cutting for you. Lots of great microfiber pads on the market - the Griot's pads are great.

Mike Phillips

Here's your picture,

Dang birds - BAD LUCK.

One thing you can do is to take your time and just hit the spots with more passes.

At some point you'll reach your comfort level where you'll be willing to live with the defects versus re-paint the hood.

If you lived closer I would be happy to give you a hand.

Mike Phillips

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12