autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Lesson White Paint Teaches Us

I thought reading your book was very informative then you add all the links for the products......WOW!
    Do you believe they are the same for some silver colored vehicles, not in terms of hardness but visually not being able to see the defects?

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know why, but I love my white trucks... This is after a Carpro trix, clay and dura gloss 501/105/colonite 845 treatment! By the way I love the dog more! Sorry for the crappy iPhone pic

But I do agree the reflection would have been much better on a darker car,,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome article, I have a color called super white on my Toyota , I went with the color white as I live on Florida. I must say I like detailing white, this is my first white car, you really can make white look awesome. I use Wolfgang cleaner, 3.0 swrill remover and the wolf sealant then I top it off with dodo diamond white wax and polish it with a Cyclo with white foam pads and it really does shine, I also have a Audi A4 that is black so I get the best of both worlds.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Detail-Impressions View Post

Black cars double the work for the same pay.
    I agree. Most people mis-read my article to mean I don't like white colored vehicles, I don't think I ever state that in the article, what I state is they are boring as compared to the dramatic results you can create in black and dark colored vehicles, which is accurate.

A black or dark colored car requires a person to really do good work because you can't get away with anything. A light or white colored car doesn't show defects as well so you can get away with doing less quality work "if that's a person's inclination".

Theoretically, if you do the same high quality work to all cars no matter what the color you get the same high quality results no matter what the color.

Quote Originally Posted by cartman57 View Post

I thought reading your book was very informative then you add all the links for the products......WOW!
    I've always liked this article on white paint because I teaches a very basic lesson, that is the paint on daily drivers gets dirty and needs to be cleaned regularly but it's only white or light colored cars that your eyes can see this dirt build up.

Dennis Gage noticed it right away when he let me work on his white Ford Taurus SHO on one the the segments we did for "My Classic Car", watch the video and list to what he says after I buff a section on the trunk lid, this was completely unscripted, he just happened to be "paying attention".

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX2hhBP06JQ&hd=1]Flex 3401 on My Classic Car with Dennis Gage and Mike Phillips - YouTube[/video]

I point the dirty paint thing out in the text of this thread also...

Ford Taurus SHO on My Classic Car with Dennis Gage - Flex 3401 Dual Action Polisher

And show the dirt build-up from the color change in pads from multiple cars we've buffed out down here at AGO's Show Car Garage...

How to remove stains and embedded dirt out of paint

From this thread...

1954 Ford F-100 - Extreme Makeover - Process and products used

Remember how dirty the clay was after claying just one half of the roof? Clay remove ABOVE surface bonded contaminants but it doesn't remove embedded staining of the paint. You can see abrading the paint with a light polish and a microfiber pad has removed the staining effect and restored a very bright and shiny finish.

Quote Originally Posted by cartman57 View Post

Do you believe they are the same for some silver colored vehicles, not in terms of hardness but visually not being able to see the defects?
    Very much so. That is light colored metallic cars tend to be the most difficult to see defects in due to the light color, the metallic flake AND if you're in the sun the metallic flake acts like a mirror beaming the sun's rays back at your eyes causing you to look away.

Question: How can you see swirls is a silver metallic paint job in bright sun if you're forced to look away?

Answer: You cannot.

That's why silver metallic is a great color for people that don't care about swirls and don't want the hassle of trying to maintain a nice looking finish.

Quote Originally Posted by CWallace View Post
    Don't know why, but I love my white trucks...

But I do agree the reflection would have been much better on a darker car,,,,
    If I were to ever own a SUV again, (highly unlikely), it would be white or silver metallic. With the new government mandated black boxes to be installed in all new cars I don't think I'll ever buy a new car again. I drive a 1975 Jimmy and love it. I'm building a 1978 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 and love it and the fiancé wants me to build her a 1970 FJ40.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Awesome article, I have a color called super white on my Toyota , I went with the color white as I live on Florida. I must say I like detailing white, this is my first white car, you really can make white look awesome.

I strongly agree.

Post Thanks / Like

'1975 Jimmy and..............a 1970 FJ40'
    The original SUV's!!
    For me in '75, it was either the FJ or a CJ, there were no black FJ's available on the lot.............so, I opted for the CJ :-(

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.autotribute.com/wp-conten...458-italia.jpg

At least I can say Kim Kardasian has good taste in vehicles.
    I'd take this one in a heartbeat!
    Any donations!? LOL
    Mark

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post

At least I can say Kim Kardasian has good taste in vehicles.

Mark

I agree that this Ferrari looks great in white...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The worst part about detailing a white car is that it is so difficult to see where you've already done a section. I found when claying, or applying Klasse, that I couldn't see what I had done. Now I just do it by feel, and a little guesswork!

Post Thanks / Like

As the owner of a white single stage paint car, it is boring. Its annoying to try and correct.

Post Thanks / Like

Does boring apply to tricoat pearl whites also?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast