autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do I need to wash my car after I use detailing clay to clay the paint?

what microfiber towels do you guys use for QD. the cobra delux 600 is what I use.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey mike, great information on how to wash and clay cars..
    Point noted, it will definitely be more useful..
    Thanks for sharing the tips..

Post Thanks / Like

Next question....

At this time that we are washing the vehicle after claying, do we still using a soap that will strip the wax such as Dawn? Or just rinse with a hose.
    Smoke Metallic '06 Altima

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ballfan4141 View Post
    what microfiber towels do you guys use for QD. the cobra delux 600 is what I use.
    That is an excellent MF for this application IME!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think a waterless or rinseless wash would be a good compromise who want the confidence that the paint is clean.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I believe I read a previous post by Mike P. in another thread stating we should not make rocket science out of everything and try to keep it simple. I completely agree with his statement.

With that being said, let me share what I have noticed when it comes to claying.

I washed and completely dried off the car with MF towels. Then I proceeded to clay the car with a dedicated QD (Meg's Last Touch) and wiped each panel dry with a MF towel.

Are we in agreement that the paint should squeak if you rub your finger on it and it has no wax, oils, etc. sitting on the surface?

Well from what I have seen, the paint did not squeak. This tells me the QD is bonding to the paint and is not completely removed only by wiping the panel with a MF towel.

If a QD is designed to enhance gloss and boost the durability of wax then is it not leaving something on the surface to accomplish this?

In certain cases, this does not matter. If you are simply applying a sealant or a wax after then it should be fine, however if you are polishing the car afterwards, meaning you want to see the true surface, making sure the paint is completely bare is essential in my opinion.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DaHen View Post
    Next question....

At this time that we are washing the vehicle after claying, do we still using a soap that will strip the wax such as Dawn? Or just rinse with a hose.
    If you choose to wash your car after claying it, might as well use some soap for it's cleaning and lubricating features.

People will argue over using detergent soaps or not using detergent soaps till the cows come home so I'll leave your choice of soap up to you... if you're going to do a full correction or then it probably doesn't matter if it's a clear coat finish. If it's an antique, or even older single stage paint then I would avoid detergent soaps for any step.

The important thing is to remove anything off the car before you begin to do the next step... in other words... work clean... like a surgeon.

Quote Originally Posted by 96Lude View Post
    I believe I read a previous post by Mike P. in another thread stating we should not make rocket science out of everything and try to keep it simple. I completely agree with his statement.
    I still stick by that statemen... it's a normal trend for "online" enthusiasts to start getting deep into detailing and the results are usually taking things that are fairly simple and over-complicating them. Nothing wrong with that if you have the time and inclination.

Are we in agreement that the paint should squeak if you rub your finger on it and it has no wax, oils, etc. sitting on the surface?
    Usually if paint is really clean, and your finger is really clean, then the paint will be squeaky when you rub your finger against it. Washing and claying will remove most of what's on the surface but not always 100%

If you're going to do a full correction or even light polishing, your first step after claying will remove anything left on the surface.

If a QD is designed to enhance gloss and boost the durability of wax then is it not leaving something on the surface to accomplish this?
    Yes.

One thing for sure is the chemistry behind car care appearance products is continually getting more advanced.

Post Thanks / Like

So many times I've seen this question and it's nice to see some definitive information.

Great post Mike.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    The important thing is to remove anything off the car before you begin to do the next step... in other words... work clean... like a surgeon.

Ok. My feelings exactly.

Thank you doctor.
    Smoke Metallic '06 Altima

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Usually if paint is really clean, and your finger is really clean, then the paint will be squeaky when you rub your finger against it. Washing and claying will remove most of what's on the surface but not always 100%

If you're going to do a full correction or even light polishing, your first step after claying will remove anything left on the surface.
    Is the squeak test a good procedure to use in order to determine if the paint is really bare? Is it a reliable way to determine if anything is on the paint surface?

When you mention that the first step after claying will remove anything left on the surface, do you mean any machine polishing with a pre-wax cleaner, or any mild abrasive polish in general will remove any residue that will still be on the paint?

Would soaking the car in something like an APC or a degreaser after claying also work?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast