autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeing Dots! Help! - Pinhole or Solvent Pop? Common Paint Issue

Seeing Dots! Help! - Pinhole or Solvent Pop? Common Paint Issue

Started polishing the hood today and had to stop because when I was done, I saw these tiny little dots all over that I couldn't remove. Here's the pictures.

Before starting:

After polishing (the swirls are gone but these dots are present):

The process I used was that I clay bared the hood and then used Menz PO85RD and grey pad with the PC on 5. (I put the product on only after misting the (new) CCS pad with the XMT conditioner.) After wiping that off (and it took a lot of effort because it was dry in places), I used a blue pad with the same Menz product and same PC setting. That wiped off a lot easier. The working time of the Menz product was like 30 seconds before it started to dry. I tried using more product. I tried using less product. The pad was not spinning like it should have either. I don't know what I'm doing wrong there because I've watched the process of Mike Phillips using the PC and it seemed like he had twice the working time that I had - different products though.

When I pulled the vehicle out into the sun, I saw these dots. I tried using the gray pad again but still no luck with the dots. I'm starting to question if they were there to begin with and I just didn't use an aggressive enough product from the start to remove them. I have some PO106FA but didn't want to go any further until I consulted with the forum.

Does anyone know what these dots are and if I put them in the finish? And does anyone know why the working time of the Menz product was so short?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Seeing Dots! Help!

Those holes youre seeing are called solvent popping.Theres nothing you can do to them other than respray the panel. Though unattractive, do not worry cause these are quite common on some vehicles.

Heres a quote from Mike Philips
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Philips
    The tiny craters or pin holes you see are more than likely what' called Solvent Popping, which occurred when the paint was sprayed. These pin holes are actually present on the before side except because there are so many swirls in the before side, the swirls hide the solvent popping pin holes.

No amount of buffing will remove solvent popping because the holes are throughout the layer of paint, not just on the surface. Compounding and polishing more and more will just remove more paint and reveal a greater depth of the pin holes, it won't make the problem go away.

Keep in mind this is a very high resolution camera and it's being held very close to the paint. After polishing and waxing and then looking at the paint from a normal distance you don't really see them. The only fix is to repaint the entire car or the affected panels.
    Last edited by NotZeroSix; 11-08-2009 at 05:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NotZeroSix View Post
    Those holes youre seeing are called solvent popping.Theres nothing you can do to them other than respray the panel. Dont worry, cause these are common on Hard clear coat volvo s40.

Heres a quote from Mike Philips
    [qoute]The tiny craters or pin holes you see are more than likely what' called Solvent Popping, which occurred when the paint was sprayed. These pin holes are actually present on the before side except because there are so many swirls in the before side, the swirls hide the solvent popping pin holes.

No amount of buffing will remove solvent popping because the holes are throughout the layer of paint, not just on the surface. Compounding and polishing more and more will just remove more paint and reveal a greater depth of the pin holes, it won't make the problem go away.

Keep in mind this is a very high resolution camera and it's being held very close to the paint. After polishing and waxing and then looking at the paint from a normal distance you don't really see them. The only fix is to repaint the entire car or the affected panels. [/qoute]
    Thank you Not0, I'm relieved that I didn't do this but I'm also dismayed that my hood looks like this now. It's true, the swirl marks do hide them. I know it's only a toyota truck and not a ferrari but I want my finish to look awesome. Rats!!!!!

Any idea on the working time issue?

Post Thanks / Like

Has the hood been repainted, if not, they are not solvent pop spots. They are more than likely from the sand blasting effect you get from debris from driving on the road. They become very obvious after a vehicle is polished because they stand out against the shiney paint. There was a thread on this before, Jason(DeepGloss) and I explained this on that thread also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    Has the hood been repainted, if not, they are not solvent pop spots. They are more than likely from the sand blasting effect you get from debris from driving on the road. They become very obvious after a vehicle is polished because they stand out against the shiney paint. There was a thread on this before, Jason(DeepGloss) and I explained this on that thread also.
    It is the factory paint. I guess they could be from road debris because I did not see them on my test area which was the tailgate. The dots are pretty consistent all over the hood. Do you have a link to the thread you mentioned?

edit: is this the link?
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...hite-dots.html
    Last edited by ph16; 11-08-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: added tailgate ref

Post Thanks / Like

Thats the thread. I have a few on the hood of my vette also. Like I said it is not solvent pop, it is the sand blasting effect while driving from the debris in the air.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much Rocket ,

Soo . . . if by chance I use a polish with more cut I could minimize how many there are and then maybe invest in a bug deflector?

Anyhow, any thoughts on what I may be doing wrong with regards to the short working time of the Menz product?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ph16 View Post
    Thank you very much Rocket ,

Soo . . . if by chance I use a polish with more cut I could minimize how many there are and then maybe invest in a bug deflector?

Anyhow, any thoughts on what I may be doing wrong with regards to the short working time of the Menz product?
    You could minimize them if they are shallow, but since they are white they are through the color coat so unless you repaint they will always be there. A bug deflector would be big a big help.

Sounds like you are not using the right amount of product and also take your pc up to 6. The polish should work longer than 30 seconds for sure. If with a rotary it works longer than than that. Was it cool out, if so it sounds like it isn't spreading like it should. To keep the bottle of polish warm fill up something with very warm ater and keep the bottle in that or some other type of heat source to keep the polish in a more liquid state.

Post Thanks / Like

I will keep that in mind. I started at #3 and then went to #5 once it was spread out as per Mike's videos. The amount I put on the pad was a circle about 1/2" inside the circumference of the 6-1/2" pad. The temp was around 70 today so I didn't cool or heat the product. All of my detailing products stay inside the house until needed so I know they were at the same temp. And the truck stayed in the garage so there was no sun directly on it while I was polishing and the engine was cool. Thanks so much for the advice Rocket. I appreciate your time.

Post Thanks / Like

You are welcome, anytime. Sounds like you are going to have to find just the right amount of polish then. I use about about four dots on a pad with a rotary and its work time is over a minute.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast