autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

LSP for Weekend Only Cruiser?

Just finished 2-stage correction on a black old-school base coat / clear coat painted hot rod. Looks better than I had expected. I will have paint film installed behind all 4 wheels, and strategically on the spoilers and front nose where rock ships are most likely to occur. Then I need to decide on LSP. This car will see fair weather only cruising and trips to local shows. I am considering skipping a true Ceramic Coating on this car.

I have installed consumer grade ceramics with good results. But I have found that unless you go with a true self-healing coating like Feynlab, any ceramic you can order and install yourself will show fine scratches and toweling marks over time. (I am unaware of any self-healing coating that is available to the consumer market … yet) Then, your only option is to physically remove the coating with with a compound, re-correct and re-coat. I am at that place with the wife’s black SUV which gets all the hard climate duties in our house. It still looks good from 10 feet, but needs to be completely redone.

I’m thinking for a true garage queen, any of the new(er) SiO detail sprays will provide plenty of gloss and protection and allow for super easy, fine polish only spot touch-ups along the way.

Any thoughts welcome.LSP for Weekend Only Cruiser?-7521f097-df1d-431b-aad8-78cd20f69d7b-jpgLSP for Weekend Only Cruiser?-ea81120f-4822-4244-8861-627de93cff77-jpgLSP for Weekend Only Cruiser?-8f6d27ee-9142-42bf-9bd3-0edc8a28184a-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: LSP for Weekend Only Cruiser?

Quote Originally Posted by PDC View Post

I’m thinking for a true garage queen, any of the new(er) SiO detail sprays will provide plenty of gloss and protection and allow for super easy, fine polish only spot touch-ups along the way.

Any thoughts welcome.LSP for Weekend Only Cruiser?-7521f097-df1d-431b-aad8-78cd20f69d7b-jpgLSP for Weekend Only Cruiser?-ea81120f-4822-4244-8861-627de93cff77-jpgLSP for Weekend Only Cruiser?-8f6d27ee-9142-42bf-9bd3-0edc8a28184a-jpg
    I agree.

3. Likes PDC liked this post
    Dislikes PDC disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Being a hardcore Firebird fanatic myself, I see your 'Bird and hats off sir, amazing car!! Are those the Yearone billit rims? 18"? They look amazing!!
    Since yours is a 'Bird I say pamper it and go for high end. Go Polish Angel. On their site sub your email and they will send you emails everytime they have 15% off. They had one a day ago. They have them often enough.

Not sure where you are located, but have you ever been out to Dayton Ohio last weekend in August?? I asked this of another member. Best absolute weekend every year.

Amazing car you have

5. Thanks PDC thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I agree.
    Fat fingers on tiny iPad. Tried to hit the ‘like’ icon only, and apparently no way to edit your likes??

7. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes - YO billet honeycomb: 18x10 front and 18x12 rear. DSE rear Q-link and mini-tubbed, DSE front sub-frame, LS9 / T-56. This build took a long, long time. Just took delivery last month, in time for snow, ice, and a methodical final paint buff and cut! I’m so finicky about that, I had them hit it with 2 extra coats of clear and then take her through color sand and rotary compound only, I enjoyed finishing her off from there.

9. Likes Silly Rabbit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PDC View Post
    Yes - YO billet honeycomb: 18x10 front and 18x12 rear. DSE rear Q-link and mini-tubbed, DSE front sub-frame, LS9 / T-56. This build took a long, long time. Just took delivery last month, in time for snow, ice, and a methodical final paint buff and cut! I’m so finicky about that, I had them hit it with 2 extra coats of clear and then take her through color sand and rotary compound only, I enjoyed finishing her off from there.
    Absolutely amazing!!!! Tastefull pro touring 'Bird!! Love the DSE and mini tubs, and the LS9 is a spicey touch!!.
    Yea, car would get love in Dayton.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, go Polish Angel on that work of art, it deserves it.

12. Thanks PDC thanked for this post
    Likes PDC, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My gf and I are relaxing on the couch watching Knight Rider, the K.I.T.T. vs K.A.R.R. episode to be clear - because those are my all time favorite cars.

Yours is gorgeous!

My "if it were me" suggestion is Optimum Opti-Seal with Optimum Car Wax over it.

Over the 2021 summer I was able to use OCW for the family daily drivers (mom, gf, me).

14. Thanks PDC thanked for this post
    Likes PDC, CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't even consider a coating for such a car. Extended protection and durability would be near the bottom of the totem pole of priorities from my perspective and that is where coatings excel.

In your case, there are plenty of traditional glazes, waxes and/or sealants that would be a better choice in my opinion. They can be applied as often as you desire, like before each show, without any special prep. And spot "touch-ups", if and when necessary, will be easier than if you are dealing with a coating.

A few products I'd consider... Meguiar's #7; Meguiar's #21; Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax; Meguiar's #26.

16. Thanks PDC thanked for this post
    Likes opie, PDC, Jayfro, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would look in Gyeon CanCoat as an option. Coatings will scratch especially for those that love touching their vehicles constantly and wiping them down with detail spray. Very common amongst car shows. The benefit is that they form a harder surface to not look as bad as a wax or sealant.

18. Thanks PDC thanked for this post
    Likes PDC liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast