autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Critique my stain removal method

As I'm always trying to improve my skills...

I'm asking you to analyze my stain removal procedure. I'll tell what product I use but I'm not necessarily looking for advice on products, I want to know if my technique is acceptable. I know some say hitting an area with the wrong chemical first may 'set' a stain but I have a product that I don't seem to have any issues with such. Also in regards to my product/process, I have never had any issues with stains 'wicking' after I've complete my procedure.

But again I'm open to any criticism.

1) After I have my seat dry purged/vacuumed and ready to go, I mist a Detail King product called Extractor Soap(undiluted) on to the surface and let dwell for roughly 2 minutes.
    2) After dwelling I thoroughly scrub the upholstery
    3) Immediately after scrubbing the area, I take my steamer with a bristle brush attachment and gently steam over the treated area. I don't necessarily 'scrub' the upholstery with the brush attachment, just go over the area applying the steam/heat (my thought process is to use the dry steam heat to 'open up' the fibers and release any staining)
    4) Immediately after I'm done going over the area with steam, I use my heated extractor on the treated area to 'pull' any staining out of the opened up fibers. And of course to pull my concentrated product out of the surface to help leave the area in a neutral state.
    5) Let air dry

Let's hear it...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Critique my stain removal method

Methods are fine...care to share pics....that would be a true test

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TotalNewbie View Post
    As I'm always trying to improve my skills...

I'm asking you to analyze my stain removal procedure. I'll tell what product I use but I'm not necessarily looking for advice on products, I want to know if my technique is acceptable. I know some say hitting an area with the wrong chemical first may 'set' a stain but I have a product that I don't seem to have any issues with such. Also in regards to my product/process, I have never had any issues with stains 'wicking' after I've complete my procedure.

But again I'm open to any criticism.

1) After I have my seat dry purged/vacuumed and ready to go, I mist a Detail King product called Extractor Soap(undiluted) on to the surface and let dwell for roughly 2 minutes.
    2) After dwelling I thoroughly scrub the upholstery
    3) Immediately after scrubbing the area, I take my steamer with a bristle brush attachment and gently steam over the treated area. I don't necessarily 'scrub' the upholstery with the brush attachment, just go over the area applying the steam/heat (my thought process is to use the dry steam heat to 'open up' the fibers and release any staining)
    4) Immediately after I'm done going over the area with steam, I use my heated extractor on the treated area to 'pull' any staining out of the opened up fibers. And of course to pull my concentrated product out of the surface to help leave the area in a neutral state.
    5) Let air dry

Let's hear it...
    You should then put the seats in a space capsule and leave in space for fifteen minutes.

4. Likes Bosko liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    You should then put the seats in a space capsule and leave in space for fifteen minutes.
    Oh great, I put mitts and pads and stuffs in a room with the AC on to dry and I get crap from you but he gets to launch stuff into space?

There is no justice....

6. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing to remember is that the warmer the treatment is when applied and let dwell, the better it will probably work.

I know your applying heat latter. But the initial step of applying and dwelling doesn't benefit from that. If you want to continue doing it close to your present method, I would steam prior to (and maybe during) scrubbing.

8. Likes Rod73 liked this post
    Dislikes Rod73 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

if the stains are gone I would say the technique is fine,,I use different technique for different material though,,,but if it works no technique is wrong
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”