autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Speed Master Paint Thickness Gauge

I saw the details on the Speed Master paint thickness meter and it implies that it can measure how much clearcoat is left, that is how thick the clearcoat alone is, not including the base coat or primer, etc. Most meters I've seen measure from the top of the painted surface to the base metal, so it doesn't measure the clearcoat alone (which is the most important if you want to know how much clearcoat you have left). So, is this meter actually able to measure only the clearcoat thickness alone? I'm wondering because it costs 4 times more than a lot of meters that can measure over steel or aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Speed Master Paint Thickness Gauge

Here is the video on it. Chicago Auto Pros demoed this on one of their videos a few months ago. The thing is how long will the app be around as that is what controls the gauge.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Speed Master Paint Thickness Gauge

Quote Originally Posted by garfy View Post
    I saw the details on the Speed Master paint thickness meter and it implies that it can measure how much clearcoat is left, that is how thick the clearcoat alone is, not including the base coat or primer, etc. Most meters I've seen measure from the top of the painted surface to the base metal, so it doesn't measure the clearcoat alone (which is the most important if you want to know how much clearcoat you have left). So, is this meter actually able to measure only the clearcoat thickness alone? I'm wondering because it costs 4 times more than a lot of meters that can measure over steel or aluminum.
    I doubt if it can read only clear coat. Those gauges will be closer to 10-20k. Even the 2k gauges that AG sells cannot measure only clear coat.