autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think a traditional hose wash is gentler than rinseless!

There. I said it.

I see often that folks say that you can’t beat a traditional wash with running water for gentleness to the paint. I don’t think I believe that any more. Yvan Lacroix talks about the polymers being there when you dry with the towel. I know he has a dog in the fight but it sounds reasonable to me.

I can’t speak to the chemistry but anecdotally I’ve been using ONR foe more than a decade. When we sold my wife’s MDX, it was in fantastic shape paint wise after years of rinseless. She currently has a tuxedo black Navigator that has seen only rinseless since we drove it off the lot new 7 years ago. When I polished it to apply a coating, it had very minimal swirls.* it only took Mezerna SF 4000 on polishing pads & G9 to correct it. When I see folks mention only using rinseless on lightly dusty cars, it drives me crazy. I’ve used it for everything short of cakes on dirt. And I haven’t presprayed ONR most of the time, (only when it’s really grimy).

That’s my experience and I’m sticking with it.

*Those could very well be from the 2 times it’s gone through a scratch-o-matic when I wasn’t able to clean it due to health.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I don’t think a traditional hose wash is gentler than rinseless!

Regardless, you’ll get a vehicle cleaner with a hose & bucket wash. It’s almost like comparing a sponge bath to a normal shower.. Would you sponge bath over taking a shower? I wouldn’t.

As far as scratches and 1 method being saver than the other? IMO a bucket wash is safer because you don’t have to be as careful. If you don’t mind having to be a bit tedious at times go for it with rinseless wash all the time.

3. Likes Coatingsarecrack, hoyt66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I perform BOTH methods regularly depending on situation. I too agree that a hose & bucket wash will clean more thoroughly because the "flushing" effect of a stream of water gets in ALL crevices/cracks such as around grilles, tight areas of the front/rear bumpers, windshield cowls, door/trunk seals etc., that a rinseless wash can't do with just wiping and drying.

With respect to marring of the paint, both are equal in that with proper technique you can avoid any marring whatsoever. One isn't "safer" per say over the other. That is a myth. It all comes down to technique.

5. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do see what you are saying about the cracks and crevices evo but I’ve managed with different techniques and tools to overcome that.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post

I don’t think a traditional hose wash is gentler than rinseless!

There. I said it.

Feels good to let it go...

I think we can all have a process that works best for us and our process, opinion and experience can be "right".

I've never been a fan of rinseless washing personally. I much prefer traditional hose and bucket method or waterless wash.

Hose and bucket is especially good when working on neglected vehicles and especially if the wheels and tires are a mess.

8. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Everybody here knows my preference: washing with a foam gun. I get the results I desire every single time.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never been super comfortable with rinseless washing but have recently been doing them a lot more recently. If a vehicle isn’t super dirty or if I’m in tight quarters then I’m doing a rinseless. It really saves a lot of time and the more I do them the more comfortable I am.

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My experience has been that most marring happens in drying, not washing. I don't see a difference in the washing part.

As for clean, the soaps I've used for bucket washes, usually clean better than rinseless soaps. Since speed and convenience are sometimes more important than cleaning power, I use both methods.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in disagreement I believe scratches come from mainly washing and not drying. Automated car wahses instill the most scratches and most blow dry your car.

At the drying stage your car should be clean. If get some dust and things may fly on there but with out proper wash technique your dragging the dirt your removing across paint.

And I absolutely believe a bucket wash is safer. You are adding more lubricant. I still believe tho waterless and rinseless can be done pretty safely and use them my self..... Alot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes BudgetPlan1, PaulMys, Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on how dirty the vehicle is and what I feel like doing at the time. I do a lot of rinseless washes and if the vehicle has more than a little dust on it, I will give it a blast with the hose first especially in the spring when the pollen is out. If there are multiple mud splashes or bird deposits, then it has to be a bucket wash.
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.