autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Pressure washer gas or electric

I know this has been a topic before, but I'm going to ask anyways..I've been looking at a green works 2300psi and it's electric. I personally haven't used a electric but have used gas. Is there a big difference besides one is gas and one is electric. Which do you prefer and if anyone has used a green works product. Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pressure washer gas or electric

I have a Sunjoe battery model spx6001c that works just fine for our carsntrucks,and is awesome in the winter when the outside water lines are off. I also have a 15 year old Dewalt gas powered knock your socks off pressure washer for concrete n deck cleaning, but don’t use it on my vehicles. No green works yet
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Post Thanks / Like

Gas-powered power washers are going to be more powerful (PSI) and have a higher flow rate (GPM). Electric is great for washing cars as you don't want to go with something too powerful that will damage your paint. Something in the range of 1500-1800 PSI and 1.4-1.6 GPM would work well. Also, if it is rated a little higher you can always dial that PSI down with accessory spray tips.

4. Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blacklightn25 View Post
    I know this has been a topic before, but I'm going to ask anyways..I've been looking at a green works 2300psi and it's electric. I personally haven't used a electric but have used gas. Is there a big difference besides one is gas and one is electric. Which do you prefer and if anyone has used a green works product. Thanks in advance
    My oldest PW is a GreenWorks model that is over 4-years old, the pump is getting weak but still does the cars. The replacement cost from Greenworks for a new pump unit is about $60 so not interested yet given the competition in similar products.

That said, I bought a SunJoe SPX4000 and it lasted just about a 1-1/2 years for total shutdown. SunJoe did warranty it and now have a new one back in service (the GreenWorks was my backup unit). The SPX4000 has two pressure settings which is nice and reasonable GPM for the two foam cannons I use.

I too like Markymapo have a dedicated gas PW, but that is my driveway and heavy duty machine. It is loud, drinks gas, and requires constant shut-down and cranking plus no pressure adjustment. It is either on at full power and GPM or off. My choice is to use electrics for most auto washing.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a SunJoe SPX3000 and really like it. Rated (overstated) at 2030 PSI and 1.76 GPM - maybe in fantasy land but not in my world. That being said, whatever it delivers has been enough to do cars. I use a foam cannon (with the 1.1mm orifice) and it makes pretty good foam. I've no worries about it doing damage to vehicles. It has an automatic shutoff......pump does not run when the trigger is released. Much quieter than a gas......something your neighbors will be thankful for.

7. Likes Blacklightn25 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I Like my green works electric PW

Post Thanks / Like

I have both at my house. 2600PSI 2.5GPM gas unit from Excel, and a 1600PSI 1.2GPM electric "boxy boy" handheld unit from ryobi. I couldn't imagine using a gas PW for the car, honestly. It's overkill, uses gas, and is harder to move around. The electric is light, easy to use with auto stop/start, and puts out plenty of power to clean tires, wheel wells, and textured plastic surfaces as well as being gentle enough to use on paint. The gas one gets used to do surface cleaning (with an attachment) of the driveway and sidewalks, or when I need to really try to blast out a stain in wood or concrete.

10. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a Greenworks 1700 this summer for car washing. (I have an older gas unit = PITA for car washing)
    It really earned its keep a few weeks back when I went gonzo on the wifes Outback. I was using it on and off ..all. dang. day!

The beauty of it, no pull starting and oh so very quiet. No noxious odors, refueling etc etc.
    For like $100 ... shoot... no brainer.

Again, keep to the lower PSI's so to not strip your car every time you wash it.

If I ever replace the gas unit, I'll try out the GW2300 or 2700 units, but not for car washing. Some sites suggest 1000psi @2gpm is optimum for a washing rig.

If you do go big, invest in the larger orifice spray nozzles which will lower the PSI to the safe zone, with a bonus of getting more GPM to boot.