autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are SiO2 Products Any Good?

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •IMO:
    -Anytime a few molecules of—let’s call it a:
    ‘protection ingredient’—can be infused with-
    in car-care products’ formulations, the result-
    ing car-care products should be better than
    they were before.
    -So I’ll say: Yes.

•But being that Silica/SiO2 is the most
    abundant compound in the earth's crust...

-can someone justify, at least for my benefit:
    their (extraordinary) cost increase that Manu-
    facturers readily tack-on to the price tag for:
    ”all-things SiO2 infused”?

[Besides: capitalism, that is. And it’s
    not any of that so-called new tech.]

TIA.

Bob
    Scott from Dallas Paint Correction can.....aka Captain Ceramic....the SIO2 sniffer....Silica Police.

Post Thanks / Like

Being the skeptic I am I'm going to say it's mostly marketing. Is the chemistry in these sprays significantly different than the WOWA sealants of yesteryear (think UPGP+, opti-seal, etc.)? Maybe. But I have no idea of how much of the new ingredient is in there if it's Si02 at all. There's no rules to the stuff.

I think the best thing we can do is voice what characteristics we want in a product. I'm talking about asking for more than the "best protection." Do we want slickness? Ease of application? Durability? Water beading? Water that slides off? Protection from etching? Easy cleaning?

An example is any product that claims to be a "true ceramic coating." If you're going to call a product a true ceramic coating, then I'd think we'd expect at least a year of durability. By that I mean the paint does not dirty easily, and most, if not all contaminates clean off easily with just a basic wash for at least a year. If we're going to go through the typical prep (wash, decontaminate, polish, panel wipe) and pay a premium for the product then I don't think that's too much to ask. There's a couple of products that failed to deliver and got called out and I think that's a good thing.

I'm not against Si02 products at all. I like the Blackfire Si02 sealant. I'm just happy they called it a sealant to check my expectations. There's no way one application is going strong for a year. But it's easy to apply, and you can reapply it right over itself so I have no problem adding another coat once a quarter.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I agree with that toppers are basically sealants with the exception of a few most have like 3-5 silica. Does that really make a difference? Actual coatings have 50-90%. No way you’ll get same characteristics from 3-5%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Scott from Dallas Paint Correction can.....aka Captain Ceramic....the SIO2 sniffer....Silica Police.
    Hilarious
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I topped my 97k miles 2014 Audi with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 10 days ago. My first wash was using Wolfgang Si02 was Friday, and that vehicle never looked so good...even better than my old method of following the DGPS with Wolfgang Fuzion. It just adds that extra deep and glossy look...and it's better equipped to repel any follow up dust/dirt. I don't know how long it will last as a protector, but I didn't use it for that purpose, but anything more than a couple of weeks will be a plus. It's expensive but so is my car and it's well worth the cost. My advice is to buy it when it's 20-25% off.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought silicon products weren't wanted around vehicles anymore due to bodyshop/paint issues etc?
    ·Ď˘ĺrµ§·

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    I thought silicon products weren't wanted around vehicles anymore due to bodyshop/paint issues etc?
    I believe its siliconeE that they don't like...

8. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Super Member JWilliams.RadiantDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like it and I like companies that disclose the amount. SiO2 waterless wash with no Silica % listed means nothing to me. Wheather you love or hate Adam's, for their new Ceramic line they list how much Silica each product contains. While I'm not "smart" enough to be able to understand what 10% in their Ceramic Waterless = in terms of protection and durability. At least I know a number, where the other products out there just plaster SiO2 on the label to sell to uninformed consumers. I'm drinking an energy drink right now with BCAA printed big on the can. The ingredients show nothing because it's only a worthless sprinkling, which does absolutely nothing.

A few years ago I bought a "SiO2 infused" tire dressing, if maybe lasted longer than my previous dressing that was Silica-less, but it wasn't a noticeable amount.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I believe its siliconeE that they don't like...
    And also that it's a volatile silicone that they absolutely don't want to have on any parts of the vehical they painting. These where common before on the products that you put on the rubber seals in the door jambs and other jambs so they didn't freezed. And also in some interior dressings. I was able to see this first hand the results of a volatile silicone when I had my old Volvo Amazon 123 repainted. The painter was done almost and just wanted to get a better edge around the the doors. When he opened the just an inch to get the paint on the edge. He started to see the paint looking as it where boiling from above the door and up to the roof. Shut the door and was needed to be sanding it down again where the silicone has messed up the paint job and paint it again. That must be a nightmare to see when that happens. It can also happens with silicone that are not volatile too. But that's on the parts where it's been applyied. Painters use a strong prep wipe product that's also able to remove silicone if it's any left on the paint that's been sanded. In some cases they can use a primer that seals in any silicone or old paint that's incompatible with the paint they are going to be painting with.

Also that's why they don't want any silicone in the polishes or other products they use in a bodyshop. As the risk of polishing dust gets on the paint that's going to be painted is not so good. Also it's about how thorough and what setup the bodyshop has where they paint in the bodyshop. As the final prep wipe down and the tacky cloth is prefered to be used in the painting box as the last thing they do before they paint. But here it varies a lot between the bodyshops how they do it.

12. Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12