autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How to get older single stage white paint as high gloss as possible?

Hello everyone

First post and a novice here but highly interested in the forum.

I recently bought a 1998 white jeep cherokee, It has the iconic and classic straight lines which I think are the best looking of all their styling.

I want to get it looking as good as I can, and I think making the paint shiny would help a lot. I understand it is mostly about prep so I am planning to get the Iron X and Meg's detailing clay (mild) and start cleaning the paint.

After that I'm a bit confused with all the choices.

My job can be demanding so I can't baby this thing every week so I'm looking for products to do first of all a comprehensive clean/polish/seal, with possibly a wax topper, and then I may need to do rinseless washes as needed for months at a time.

I looked up Four Star UPP which seems like it might be great as a long lasting and protectant sealant but I'm still not sure about this, and if I go that route, what would I use to polish first?

I should mention I am staying in Miami Beach a few blocks from the ocean where the sun is starting to beat down this time of year, and we have lots of salt in the air. I have an art deco condo and have to leave the jeep outside in a paved lot. Just a palm tree for shade, which isn't much.

Any recommendations for good UV protection and salt/rust protection would be appreciated. There's also plenty of dust that accumulates here. I will have to do this by hand.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

I noted that many like the DG 501/105 combo, I'm just not sure it will protect against UV and salt water, and that it gives the gloss I want.

I believe the jeep was repainted at some point, and that it is single stage paint.

Also, how to make the trim and wheels nice and black?

Thank you!!

Mike Phillips

Re: How to get older single stage white paint as high gloss as possible?

Quote Originally Posted by hyperbolic View Post

Hello everyone

First post and a novice here but highly interested in the forum.

I recently bought a 1998 white jeep cherokee, It has the iconic and classic straight lines which I think are the best looking of all their styling.

I want to get it looking as good as I can, and I think making the paint shiny would help a lot. I understand it is mostly about prep so I am planning to get the Iron X and Meg's detailing clay (mild) and start cleaning the paint.

After that I'm a bit confused with all the choices.

My job can be demanding so I can't baby this thing every week so I'm looking for products to do first of all a comprehensive clean/polish/seal, with possibly a wax topper, and then I may need to do rinseless washes as needed for months at a time.

I looked up Four Star UPP which seems like it might be great as a long lasting and protectant sealant but I'm still not sure about this, and if I go that route, what would I use to polish first?

I should mention I am staying in Miami Beach a few blocks from the ocean where the sun is starting to beat down this time of year, and we have lots of salt in the air. I have an art deco condo and have to leave the jeep outside in a paved lot. Just a palm tree for shade, which isn't much.

Any recommendations for good UV protection and salt/rust protection would be appreciated. There's also plenty of dust that accumulates here. I will have to do this by hand.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Because you're working by hand....

Get Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and some microfiber applicator pads. After washing, Iron X and claying the paint, rub all the paint down with the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Next apply SONAX Polymer Net Shield for your LSP. This is about as simple of a process as you can do by hand and the paint should look very bright white and glossy when you're done.

Quote Originally Posted by hyperbolic View Post

Also, how to make the trim and wheels nice and black?

Thank you!!

Clean tires really well and apply you're favorite dressing. I'm not a huge dressing fan and when I do use a dressing I like an AIO dressing. An AIO dressing is a one-step cleaner and conditioner dressing. Meguiar's M40 and Pinnacle Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner & Conditioner are both really good.

As for trim? Is it all plastic?

3. Thanks hyperbolic thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Also...

If you're posting from your phone, get the TapaTalk App and then you can share pictures.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Also...

If you're posting from your phone, get the TapaTalk App and then you can share pictures.

Thank you for all your suggestions! So you are saying to skip the Four Star and go straight from the Megs Ultimate Compound to the Sonax for finish?
    I will get that app and post pics!! so excited!

The trim is all black plastic.