autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

prep trim for coating ?

can car pro eraser be used to prep trim for gyeon Q2 trim ? my mustang trim(front spoiler & plastic rocker panels) look kinda blah. even after washing it look's faded out on a 1600 mile car. also is that gyeon Q2 trim a good solution ? thanks, Carlo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: prep trim for coating ?

Quote Originally Posted by hmardown View Post
    can car pro eraser be used to prep trim for gyeon Q2 trim ? my mustang trim(front spoiler & plastic rocker panels) look kinda blah. even after washing it look's faded out on a 1600 mile car. also is that gyeon Q2 trim a good solution ? thanks, Carlo
    Eraser will work as a prep for it.

Trim is good and will darken the trim a bit. It won’t fully restore trim that needs to be restored. In that instance solution finish would be the way to go.

3. Thanks hmardown thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, you can use Optimum Paint Prep, Eraser, GYEON's product, etc. Pretty much as long as the trim is cleaned these products will go and remove any oils and what not thus offering a good bond for the coating. Q2 TRIM will darken it up a bit yes so given you mentioned a 1,600 mile car I'm assuming it's new. I put some 50/50 pics up in a couple posts I've done after completing details showing how TRIM will darken up the plastic a bit. Here's a 3,400 mile Ford Focus ST that shows it. I put some up in a small set of photos for a brand new at the time Mazda 5 too.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

5. Thanks hmardown thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered using a spray product like Trim Shine or Meguiars D4510 Plastic & Vinyl Coating [aerosol can]? McKee’s makes 1 now too.

They may not last as long as a coating but man do they look good when applied. Nothing makes plastic pop like that. Not even coatings, because they tone down for the long haul.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. Guess I’d like to darken it up a little. It is a new car but the trim looks almost faded. I’m a little skeptical about using a spray product. Not looking to have any clean up work from the over spray. These are the parts I’m looking to dress up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yea if it’s panels go with a non spray... I thought you were talking about parts like the grill.

9. Thanks hmardown thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OK got it. appreciate the replies, guess I need to get the credit card out & call my friends at autogeek.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. Guess I’d like to darken it up a little. It is a new car but the trim looks almost faded. I’m a little skeptical about using a spray product. Not looking to have any clean up work from the over spray. These are the parts I’m looking to dress up.

Well I finally tried gyeon Q2 trim. This product is awesome. I don’t think you can tell by the picture but I was very pleased. I just did the front spoiler but will be doing the rest of my car soon. I applied it without wiping it off afterwards. Came out great so I didn’t touch it.

After

12. Likes The Guz, SWETM, Paul A., DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jimbo Bailaam has started a serie on prep products for coating, and CarPro Eracer failed miserably. It could not remove the sealant for the panel... at all!

For plastic trim, I use window cleaner as a prep product. My paint prep product is either Gtechniq Panel Wipe or Duplicolor Grease and wax remover, and I don't use either on plastic... strong solvents and plastics are not a good match.

As the Guz mentioned, if you need to restore the plastic first, Solution Finish is the definitve product for that! They also has a plastic cleaner that is just amazing... I wish I could buy it seperatelly from the Solution Finish restorer.

14. Thanks Paul A. thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Jimbo Bailaam has started a serie on prep products for coating, and CarPro Eracer failed miserably. It could not remove the sealant for the panel... at all!
    Eraser wasn’t designed to remove a wax or sealant. There is no mention of it doing that from the manufacturer. It’s designed to remove polishing oils. Same can be said for other prep spray products.

I had mentioned to Jimbo that exact thing in his video. He came back with a second attempt but even that video doesn’t prove anything. I also mentioned that he should watch the video that Americana Global has on their prep spray and how it breaks down a polish.

16. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast