autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: prep trim for coating ?

thanks, I wasn't trying to remove wax. I just wanted to clean off the plastic trim so the gyeon Q2 trim would bond to it. on another note I do have some plastic on my truck with wax stuck on it. and I haven't found anything to take it off. last thing i tried was mckee's with a toothbrush. it didn't even attempt to remove the wax stain. you guys that have those carpet steamer's, have you ever tried steam to remove wax stains ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Eraser wasn’t designed to remove a wax or sealant. There is no mention of it doing that from the manufacturer. It’s designed to remove polishing oils. Same can be said for other prep spray products.

I had mentioned to Jimbo that exact thing in his video. He came back with a second attempt but even that video doesn’t prove anything. I also mentioned that he should watch the video that Americana Global has on their prep spray and how it breaks down a polish.
    Ditto. Dude has an audience but doesn’t produce quality testing criteria and often gets products and their uses wrong.

When the majority of responses are in vane of “man eraser sucks. Never using it again. Thanks jimbo” it’s no wonder manufacturers don’t tap this guy on the shoulder more often.

Post Thanks / Like

Eraser wasn’t designed to remove a wax or sealant. There is no mention of it doing that from the manufacturer. It’s designed to remove polishing oils. Same can be said for other prep spray products.

I had mentioned to Jimbo that exact thing in his video. He came back with a second attempt but even that video doesn’t prove anything. I also mentioned that he should watch the video that Americana Global has on their prep spray and how it breaks down a polish.
    Isn't Eracer what CarPro suggests as a prep for their coating? If it is, and it cannot remove a wax or a sealant, how do they expect CQuartz to bind to the paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WristyManchego View Post
    Ditto. Dude has an audience but doesn’t produce quality testing criteria and often gets products and their uses wrong.

When the majority of responses are in vane of “man eraser sucks. Never using it again. Thanks jimbo” it’s no wonder manufacturers don’t tap this guy on the shoulder more often.
    The thing is, if your prep product cannot prep the surface correctly... how would you rate the product?

I know some youtuber who always have only positive things to say about every product.. I am sure those get more than a tap on the shoulder...

Thing is, I am not looking for sales videos when I watch product reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Isn't Eracer what CarPro suggests as a prep for their coating? If it is, and it cannot remove a wax or a sealant, how do they expect CQuartz to bind to the paint?
    Removing polishing oils is different from removing a wax or sealant. Cquartz will bond to the polished paint just like any other coating pending a prep wipe after a coating.

Post Thanks / Like

prep trim for coating ?

The thing is, if your prep product cannot prep the surface correctly... how would you rate the product?

I know some youtuber who always have only positive things to say about every product.. I am sure those get more than a tap on the shoulder...

Thing is, I am not looking for sales videos when I watch product reviews.
    Prep can be considered any step that comes before polishing if that’s your focus, but a prep spray traditionally cleans the panel between polishing and protecting to promote bonding.

It can also be used between sets to inspect polishing or on windows if you sway that way.

But it wasn’t designed to strip wax or sealants. Every ‘prep’ stage before coating helps strip layers of contamination and previous coatings; chemical decon, mechanical decon, pre-rinse, wash, solvent strip, compound, polish, solvent prep.

My problem with IPA-based prep is that it’s insufficient for proper panel prep prior to coating; It simply doesn’t have the solvent power to remove all contamination and is only useful on light oils and fingerprints.

GTechniq prep, IGL pre coat & Americana global prep products will get you closer to perfect prep.

With regards to uncoated plastic panels and trim, it’s best to always to a test spot of a prep product before digging in and ALWAYS apply directly to the cloth and not the substrate. Staining can be irreversible.

7. Likes bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WristyManchego View Post
    My problem with IPA-based prep is that it’s insufficient for proper panel prep prior to coating; It simply doesn’t have the solvent power to remove all contamination and is only useful on light oils and fingerprints.

GTechniq prep, IGL pre coat & Americana global prep products are well on the way to perfect prep.
    Have you looked up the MSDS's for those products ? They are surprising.

Post Thanks / Like

prep trim for coating ?

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    Have you looked up the MSDS's for those products ? They are surprising.
    Yes. They’re full of delicious solvents and hydrocarbons.

10. Likes MattPersman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

prep trim for coating ?

I missed this question.

With regard to eraser, I’d test it on what it should be used for, what detailers use it for and what it claims to do.

Uses and test scenarios:

Panel prep - polish a panel with finishing polish, don’t remove residue, use eraser as per instructions, observe results

Grease, oils, fingerprints - fully prep and correct a panel, apply a heavy grease, light grease, oil and finger prints in equal sections, use eraser as per instructions, observe results

Window cleaning - use instead of normal window cleaner on dirty window, observe results

Note that the tests need to be exaggerated to ascertain the products efficacy. Of course, under normal conditions you aren’t going to jump straight into eraser without wiping off polishing residue first.

All tests should be against products in the same category, with a control (water) and the same technique/application method unless manufacturer recommends something vastly different.

Post Thanks / Like

Removing polishing oils is different from removing a wax or sealant. Cquartz will bond to the polished paint just like any other coating pending a prep wipe after a coating.
    Ok. But it's a consumer product. Many consummers are not gonna polish the paint before application. So if their prep product cannot remove wax or sealant, then you are gonna coat right on top of it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast