autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally Made a Decision - Got a Flex!

Well, after hemming and hawing for at least a month, I made the call. As much as I was leaning toward the Ruppes Mille, I took the plunge and got a Flex 3401.

The decision was mostly driven by an opportunity I had to purchase a used machine with less than 5 hours on it for $275.00, making my fear of a wrong decision a little less worrisome. But the guy I bought it from has both. His dealer detailing shop is REQUIRING him to switch to Ruppes machines (he showed me the new boxes lined up waiting to be opened up). He gave me lots of good info on both machines. He likes the Mille, but he said that given the choice, he'd have stayed with his Flex, especially since he just bought it a few weeks ago.

I recognize that all that could be hype to get me to buy it, but I had already agreed to it (contingent on it being in the condition he said it was), so there was no need to try to sell me. Seemed like a straight up guy to me. I'm looking forward to taking it for a test drive on my next project!

He also kept talking about a set of compound and polished from Epic. I'd not heard of them before, and when I did some research, the only reviews I could find were actually in a different language. Anyone ever heard of these? He swears by them, and there was nothing in it for him to push them. I don't need any more ideas for liquids, so I'm not going to do any more research than I did already did. But I'm curious if anyone here has any experience. I saw no conversation on them while doing a search of AutoGeek forums.

Thanks to all for your valuable opinions when I was seeking them. I took each and every one seriously, and in the end, found a polisher that fit my budget and what I think will fit my needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finally Made a Decision - Got a Flex!

Hello,

I am considering buying the the flex 3401. I was just at the roadshow class and liked the flex over the griots. Mike suggested I try the rupes but I continued to use the flex and now I wish I had tried it. What was keeping you from buying one over the other?

Post Thanks / Like

Good buy. Is the warranty transferable?

Post Thanks / Like

As I mentioned, the opportunity to buy the used Flex for almost $200.00 less than a new Mille was the big driver. But what ended up making me finally decide to put effort into finding a used Flex was basically a couple of recent threads talking about problems people had with Ruppes machines. Nothing was enough of an issue to scare me away from Ruppes, mind you. But I did a search for problem people had with Flex machines, and found very little. Most everyone seemed to refer to them by Mike Phillip's term - The Beast.

I'm only starting out, and doing this part time. I can't afford to make mistakes with large amounts of money. To me, a used Flex is a safer investment than a new Mille. If a used machine would not have been an option, and the cost of both machines new would be equal, it would have been a harder decision, but I likely would have gone with the Flex then as well. I get the impression that the big advantages to the Mille are being more smooth, and the progressive trigger. Those would be nice to have, but probably not at the expense of less mechanical issues. Additionally, the investment in the Mille isn't just the machine, but 12 - 18 pads and at least two types of compounds / polishes.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to disparage the Mille. I just think the Flex is a better choice, especially with the price delta I was able to find.

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I didn't even think to check into the warranty being transferable. I'll check it out.

It came in a box from a different distributor (the same one that has the polishes I mentioned). not sure if I can work with Flex directly, or if I need to go through that distributor. But I'll check it out. Thanks for the idea!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the purchase. Good price, too.

I love my 3401s. I have two. And if timing/price is ever right, I wouldn't hesitate to get #3. And I'm not even a pro that does this day in and day out.

Why 2? Each is set up with a different backing plate. A 3rd machine would be set up with the 3rd option

Post Thanks / Like

I bought mine for 200$+free one time car wash. A guy bought it brand new at AG, it sat in his garage for a 1.5 years and he never even opened it. Great machine although free spinnjng DAs would be my primary choice. Being a weekend warrior can’t justify a purchase of another polisher

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

You can’t go wrong with a 3401. I still say if I could only have one machine, that would be it! Especially since you are just starting out, I would imagine you plan on doing true one step details using an AIO product. The 3401 is the machine I always grab for AIO details. It’s fast, effective, safe and always delivers stellar results. Great price you got!! As far as a warranty, I wouldn’t be too concerned. Non of my Flex tools have ever gave me one problem. I still am amazed my 3401 still runs like day one with years of use and abuse it has taken.
    Jim

9. Likes BadgerRivFan liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by waterman View Post

Hello,

I am considering buying the the flex 3401.

I was just at the roadshow class and liked the flex over the griots.

Mike suggested I try the rupes but I continued to use the flex and now I wish I had tried it.
    Was that the Dr. Beasley's Roadshow Class?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Griot's Garage 6", and frankly, I love it. I intend to use it often, including using it for almost all of the work I need a 3" pad for. I just think I can improve at least my speed, if not my quality, with a gear driven polisher.

My original polisher is a Torq, which now has a Cyclo brush for carpets on it. The thing works great for that purpose.

In a year or so (perhaps when I retire from my current job and concentrate on detailing), I'll round out my arsenal with a long through machine. Until then, I feel quite good about my set up (assuming the Flex is everything I read it to be).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast