autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anti Static Detailers

I just buffed and waxed my black '81 Corvette. The thing is a dust magnet now.

What is your recommendation on an anti static spray detailer?

Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anti Static Detailers

Kenotek Showroom Shine touts their QD as an anti-static product. I’ve used it and like it, but not sure of its anti-static properties. Someone here (I think) suggested grounding your car to cut down on static. Also wax seems to attract more dust than a sealant or coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I too thought of suggesting the grounding technique, but in this case its a Corvette with a fiberglass body, Not sure if that would work.

There are a few QDs that advertise anti-static properties though.

Mike Phillips

I wish I had a quarter for every time I share the below....

Water turns a surface anti-static - BUT only temporarily.

Your car's paint HAS it's own static charge, remove the paint remove the paint's charge. Now the underlying body panels have their own static charge, remove the body panels, remove the static charge... whoops! Can't do that, won't have a car. The dust accumulating on your car's paint has a static charge, going to be kind of hard to remove all the dust circulating around Planet Earth.

So there's no actual solution. ANY spray detailer or at least any spray detailer that contains water will temporarily remove "some" of the built-up static charge from the surface of your car and make it less of a dust magenet.

Also just to note, whenever we WIPE the surface of our car and the paint that's on it, WE create the static charge, have you ever rubbed a ballon over the hair on your head as a kid and via static made your hair stand on end?

Here's my article from 2010

Static Electricity and Dust Attraction to your Car's Paint

So pick your favorite water based spray detailer and carefully wipe your car's finish.

Mike Phillips

There used to be a product on the market called

Meguiar's Medallion Paint Protection

It used a cationic chemical/electrical action to "help" turn the surface anti-static. All the molecules in the product were positive while all the molecules in your car's paint are negative, somehow opposites attract and somehow the surface would be protected and have less static charge.

I have a couple bottles in my antique car wax collection and also all the old catalogs that share info about the product.

It's long gone....

I use a lot of it on show cars, thought it worked very well. Back when it was around it was $20.00 a bottle and most people choked up blood when they found out how much it cost.

Post Thanks / Like

This is why I stopped using paste waxes, attracts dust like crazy in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Kenotek Showroom Shine for some time and while it is a great QD spray, I too don't think I'd call it "anti-static" or static defeating. However, it does leave the surface slicker than any other QD I've used, and I did notice after doing a wipe down vehicles wouldn't collect dust or pollen quite as quickly. The slickness of the product may be at work in that regard.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

FK215, Ultima QD and UWW+ and Ultima Acrylic WW and Pinnacle WW (which contains carnauba) are all said to have anti-static properties.

I will say that I topped both my cars with Souveran recently and use Pinnacle WW for light cleaning and I’ve been very happy with the lack of dust/dirt buildup over the past few weeks. Granted, it’s not pollen season here in SW PA.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a kid, I remember my mom lightly spraying Endust on a feather-type duster to dust around the knick-knacks, and figurines in her display case. The Endust charged the feather duster somehow and the dust would jump onto it as she would move it around the shelves. It allowed her to dust without having to move each item. It worked very well - almost like magic how the dust would literally jump onto the duster like metal shavings being drawn to a strong magnet.

When I first started detailing and ran into the issue with the vehicle attracting dust, I wished there was a product that incorporated whatever ingredient was in Endust that created a stronger attractant for the dust.
    I'm sure it's some sort of patented secret and not suitable for use on vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

Anti Static Detailers

If you live in an extra dusty environment, such as a dry desert, carinuba wax will act like a dust magnet. This is one reason I switched to using ceramic coatings and their specific maintenance sprays such as ReLoad and for QD/Waterless wash, Ech2o. You’d be surprised at the lack of dust.

Please excuse the typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast