autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Spray Ceramic Coating Side Effects

Good morning!

About 3 weeks ago, I coated my personal car using McKee's SiO2 coating. First time I've applied it to an entire car. The car came out great, with only 1 high spot that I saw too late to fix.

For the last couple of weeks (not sure how long, but I have a suspicion), I have not been able to get my eyeglasses clean. No matter what method I use, I can still see clear spots on the lens. It seems to me that I might have had my face too close to the spray as I applied the coating, and now, it is on my eyeglasses, and I cannot clean it off.

First, is my theory plausible?

Second anyone (Nick?) have an idea how to fix my problem?

Third, if my theory is right, please consider this as you use any spray product, not just coatings. If your face is close enough to the mist that it can get on your eyeglasses, it close enough you could be inhaled. I tend to not get too worried about stuff like that, but this certainly give me pause...

Thanks!

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spray Ceramic Coating Side Effects

You’re not crazy. My eyeglasses suffered from the same issue. I actually hated the spray delivery method for mckee’s Coating and I guess others did too since they have recently switched to a dropper bottle. When I used the coating that way not only my eyeglasses got overspray but also windows and trim on the car. It was a hot day in the garage and I had a small fan going which I’m sure made things worse. Not sure what to do to remedy that, I still have the tiny dots on my eyeglasses and I don’t think clay/polish them is a good idea. Next year it’s time for new eyeglasses so then the issue will be gone.
    Bruno Soares

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post
    Good morning!

About 3 weeks ago, I coated my personal car using McKee's SiO2 coating. First time I've applied it to an entire car. The car came out great, with only 1 high spot that I saw too late to fix.

For the last couple of weeks (not sure how long, but I have a suspicion), I have not been able to get my eyeglasses clean. No matter what method I use, I can still see clear spots on the lens. It seems to me that I might have had my face too close to the spray as I applied the coating, and now, it is on my eyeglasses, and I cannot clean it off.

First, is my theory plausible?

Second anyone (Nick?) have an idea how to fix my problem?

Third, if my theory is right, please consider this as you use any spray product, not just coatings. If your face is close enough to the mist that it can get on your eyeglasses, it close enough you could be inhaled. I tend to not get too worried about stuff like that, but this certainly give me pause...

Thanks!

Mark
    Mark,

That's a first!

I would try cleaning the glasses with rubbing alcohol. It might take 3 or 4 applications to notice a difference. This will not harm glass or plastic lenses. If this does not work, please email me the type of lens so we can do some testing in the lab.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try the rubbing alcohol and let you know.

Although it would be great if you worked up a solution, perhaps a better (or at least more immediate) plan would be to somehow advise people that this could be an issue.

It wouldn't shock me that people who have done this way more than me already have figured out to be careful, the product is marketed toward DIY'ers, and some of us aren't the brightest bulbs in the package.

Thanks, I'll let you know how it works.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Although it would be great if you worked up a solution, perhaps a better (or at least more immediate) plan would be to somehow advise people that this could be an issue.

It wouldn't shock me that people who have done this way more than me already have figured out to be careful, the product is marketed toward DIY'ers, and some of us aren't the brightest bulbs in the package.

Mark
    don't do that as the rubbing alcohol will ruin your anti reflective coating and will absolutely cause crazing around the edges where it meets the frame. take them to your OD office and have them try and clean them.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Mark

Now why would they need to put a warning not to spray the coating to close to your face? You’re actually lucky you had your glasses on so it didn’t get in your eyes. To me it’s common sense NOT to spray anything close to your face. Glasses can be repaired or replaced, can’t say the same for your eyes.

7. Likes Belo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

RE: P.P.E.

@OP...
    This is an example of where wearing
    a pair of goggles is merited.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

9. Likes TTQ B4U, Belo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    don't do that as the rubbing alcohol will ruin your anti reflective coating and will absolutely cause crazing around the edges where it meets the frame. take them to your OD office and have them try and clean them.
    Yup, my eye doctor said make sure to never use a cleaner that contains alcohol due to the coating on the lenses.
    Bruno Soares

11. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

fly07sti,

Your point is well taken, and I agree. This was my fault, not the product's. I posted to help others who might not have thought about a spray coating settling on eyeglasses so they think about it in advance. Believe me, I know I'm the idiot in this case.

I was thinking back about how this happened. I wear my glasses on a strap so I can take them off when needed. I likely had them hanging from around my neck, rather than on my face when this happened. Which is probably why they were so close to the vehicle.

On the other hand, to Bob's point, I did not have safety glasses on. either. I've learned my lesson, believe me.

13. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

fly07sti,

Your point is well taken, and I agree. This was my fault, not the product's. I posted to help others who might not have thought about a spray coating settling on eyeglasses so they think about it in advance. Believe me, I know I'm the idiot in this case.

I was thinking back about how this happened. I wear my glasses on a strap so I can take them off when needed. I likely had them hanging from around my neck, rather than on my face when this happened. Which is probably why they were so close to the vehicle.

On the other hand, to Bob's point, I did not have safety glasses on. either. I've learned my lesson, believe me.

No worries dude. Just glad it was your glasses and not your eyes. Look at this way, nows a good time to get a new set.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast