autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Which "Next" Polisher

OK, so this is my first new post since joining. I've generally been able to find answers to my questions by doing searches. But this one seems to be one for which there is a gap in the information.

When I started out, I bought an off brand 6" DA. It worked fine, but I quickly realized it could do better. So I demoted it to cyclone brushes and also added a 3" backing plate for small areas. To replace it I bought a Griot's Garage 6" DA. And I'm happy I did. Although there was nothing "wrong" with the off brand polisher, the GG6 is noticeably better.

I'm beginning to think about my next addition. The way I see it, I have three main options:

Long Throw DA
    Forced Rotation DA
    True "mini" DA, like a real 3" polisher

I don't believe it's time for me to consider a rotary yet, and although I love the idea of the IBID (especially the cordless version), I don't think that should be my next step either. I have an idea which machine in each of the three categories I would likely add, but I just don't have a good feel for which category makes the most sense to be next.

As someone who has been serious about detailing cars for about a year, and who is doing it for money (part time), what is everyone's opinion for my next polisher?

Thanks all for the help you all provide. I do appreciate it.

2. Thanks PurpleTowel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which "Next" Polisher

I own a lot of machines. I usually tend to suggest the Flex 3401. Maybe not the latest and greatest but it’s a workhorse and can make u money fast if you are doing detailing for money. I have said this b4 but if I can only have one polisher, the 3401 would be it.
    Jim

4. Likes dlc95, PaulMys, expdetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I own a lot of machines. I usually tend to suggest the Flex 3401. Maybe not the latest and greatest but it’s a workhorse and can make u money fast if you are doing detailing for money. I have said this b4 but if I can only have one polisher, the 3401 would be it.
    I agree with this too.

The GG6 can handle a lot. The 3401 will add a new dimension to your polishing process, and a broadened option set to your arsenal.

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely a Flex if you are doing this professionally.

Time is money.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes expdetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking to save time or just get an aggressive machine, the Flex 3401 is worth the money.
    I am just a hobbyist and love my Flex investment.

I like to know my polisher is going to keep spinning the same way, everywhere and the Flex delivers.
    Get some LC Force pads, some wool pads and turn the juice up.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the Flex. Not the smoothest machine but a juggernaut of a polisher and very reliable.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I was leaning forced rotation as well, although by a narrow margin, I'm leaning toward the Mille. I think the learning curve will be shorter with the rotation working in the same direction as I am used to. Minds not made up, but right now, it's the way I am thinking.

Seems like at least in this group of answers, the value to adding a longer throw machine isn't high.

I am not surprised that mini type polisher isn't getting any love. With exchangeable backing plates and pads, I can cover that. It's with my least effective machine, but it does work.

Thanks all. Keep 'em coming!

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with a mini. Actually, it will allow you to get into places that any polisher from the PC to the Flex will not.

I turned my PC into a 3" when I got my GG6. Works great, but in a tight space, the metal shroud is something to be very wary of.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post
    Thanks guys. I was leaning forced rotation as well, although by a narrow margin, I'm leaning toward the Mille. I think the learning curve will be shorter with the rotation working in the same direction as I am used to. Minds not made up, but right now, it's the way I am thinking.

Seems like at least in this group of answers, the value to adding a longer throw machine isn't high.

I am not surprised that mini type polisher isn't getting any love. With exchangeable backing plates and pads, I can cover that. It's with my least effective machine, but it does work.

Thanks all. Keep 'em coming!

Honestly don’t let the direction of the rotation shy you away from the flex. I learned on a Rotary and was hesitant about the 3401 for the same reason as you. The learning curve was about 4 seconds. Don’t over think that. What matters is if it rotates or not!
    Jim

14. Likes PaulMys, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Honestly don’t let the direction of the rotation shy you away from the flex. I learned on a Rotary and was hesitant about the 3401 for the same reason as you. The learning curve was about 4 seconds. Don’t over think that. What matters is if it rotates or not!
    I agree.

The initial start up is like "Well.......... this is weird." Then, you just roll with it.

No sweat.

16. Likes Dr Oldz, dlc95 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast