autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

DA polisher vs hand. How much time came i save?

I will be doing some paint correction on a black Mazda 3 (jet black mica) soon and originally I planned on doing the entire car by hand since it doesn't need too much work. It just has some minor swirls, a few chips on the hood, and a few bubbled up spots from bird drippings that have sat too long as well as door handle scratches on the drivers side.

Realistically, how much time can I save on correcting the entire car if I use a DA polisher as opposed to doing it by hand? I'm talking just for the correction and not the washing, nanoskin, and sealing. I am willing to drop $150 max on a polisher if the time difference is significant.

For $150 which DA polisher would you recommend? I don't plan on doing multiple cars, only mine. This will be my first time correcting paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DA polisher vs hand. How much time came i save?

Quote Originally Posted by Notageek View Post
    I will be doing some paint correction on a black Mazda 3 (jet black mica) soon and originally I planned on doing the entire car by hand since it doesn't need too much work. It just has some minor swirls, a few chips on the hood, and a few bubbled up spots from bird drippings that have sat too long as well as door handle scratches on the drivers side.

Realistically, how much time can I save on correcting the entire car if I use a DA polisher as opposed to doing it by hand? I'm talking just for the correction and not the washing, nanoskin, and sealing. I am willing to drop $150 max on a polisher if the time difference is significant.

For $150 which DA polisher would you recommend? I don't plan on doing multiple cars, only mine. This will be my first time correcting paint.
    An incredible amount.

And, there is no way (literally) that you can get the outcome by hand than you can with a machine.

150 dollars? Check out the kits offered here on the AutoGeek store offered by Griot's garage (Their GG6 polisher) or the Porter Cable 7424XP.

Great kits for the budget-minded.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

3. Likes spazzz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Paul said it all!!

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Still a valid read.

Man versus Machine

7. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't bother polishing by hand. Seriously.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Still a valid read.

Man versus Machine
    Lol.

One of the very first articles I read back in the day when I was wondering exactly what the OP was.

Nice archeology, Guzster!!

10. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    An incredible amount.

And, there is no way (literally) that you can get the outcome by hand than you can with a machine.

150 dollars? Check out the kits offered here on the AutoGeek store offered by Griot's garage (Their GG6 polisher) or the Porter Cable 7424XP.

Great kits for the budget-minded.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
    Thanks for that, I just looked at some and they look like good deals. How many pads would you suggest for an entire car?

Edit: which kit would you recommend? I don't need any wax since I plan on using cquartz sealant. I'm also a bit confused when it comes to the pads themselves, I didn't know they cut also. How do you match up the current polish to the correct pad?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Notageek View Post
    Thanks for that, I just looked at some and they look like good deals. How many pads would you suggest for an entire car?

Edit: which kit would you recommend? I don't need any wax since I plan on using cquartz sealant. I'm also a bit confused when it comes to the pads themselves, I didn't know they cut also. How do you match up the current polish to the correct pad?
    At least 6 pads to start.

Check Griot's garage. They have the BOSS system. Color matched pads to product. Takes all the guess work out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd stay away from prepackaged kits and put your own together. Kits usually have things you will never use. As an example the GG6 only comes with the 6" backing plate. You really don't even want to use it. Get a 5" backing plate and 5.5" Thin pads--you'll save money and the polisher will be more effective with 5" thin pads.

14. Likes dcjredline liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post

I'd stay away from prepackaged kits and put your own together. Kits usually have things you will never use.

As an example the GG6 only comes with the 6" backing plate. You really don't even want to use it.

Get a 5" backing plate and 5.5" Thin pads--you'll save money and the polisher will be more effective with 5" thin pads.

I 100% agree. In fact, I wrote an article to this point...

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

To the original threads starter, there is a TON of information in the above thread including the difference between microfiber pads and foam pads.

Also a video that will how you how to do a Test Spot and then how to buff out a car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast