autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New car... first wash soon

I just got a new car and I'm looking to do its first detail in a few weeks. I'm not rushing because the weather is hit or miss lately.

My plan was to ..

rinse entire car
    wash car with opt car wash (not onr) in my foam cannon
    wash wheels and car with Gyeon Q2M Iron (use appropriate brushes when needed)
    rinse car again..
    spray q2m wet coat panel by panel including wheels.

I believe this should be a good way to keep the car clean and locked in for at least 2 months. My question is since I'm spraying a sio2 coating on the car (the wet coat). Is there any good type of product to use as a spot cleaner/quick detailer? Is it fine to just use whatever QD you have lying around such as meguiars, etc?

I also have clay if needed but i don't think the car needs it at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New car... first wash soon

Welcome,
    You are going to want to wash the wheels first as if you do get break dust on the car, it can be washed off during the wash process. I also did use an iron remover on the car I got straight off the dealer lot, it wash covered with contamination and turned dark red from the reaction.

Clay you will most likely need too, use the baggie method.
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Your plan reads good to me. I use the Mckess trademark extender spray wax as a drying aid. My vehicle is coated with hydro blue. Similar to wet coat. The above advice should be followed also.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jam3s121 View Post

I just got a new car and I'm looking to do its first detail in a few weeks. I'm not rushing because the weather is hit or miss lately.
    Congrats on the new car! What did you get?

My plan was to ..

rinse entire car
    wash car with opt car wash (not onr) in my foam cannon
    wash wheels and car with Gyeon Q2M Iron (use appropriate brushes when needed)
    rinse car again..
    spray q2m wet coat panel by panel including wheels.
    I would change the order a little, wash wheels and tires first and then rinse entire car and wash car.

Why?

It will take you at least 15 minutes to wash each wheel and tire. That's a total of 1 hour minimum. Longer if you're slow, don't have great tools or the wheels are really dirty. (Wheels on a new car will be clean but I write for a WIDE AUDIENE and a lot of eye balls will read this reply into the future).

Back to one hour to wash all 4 wheels and tires. If you wash and rinse the car first you'll have water drops from the rinse drying on the car potentially causing water spots IN the paint. Can't count how many people have cried when they found out how difficult it is, how long it takes and how much damage it does to the super thin layer of clearcoat when you get water spots in the paint. If you wash wheel and tires first, you avoid water spot in the paint and even on the paint.

If you wash and rinse the car and then dry the car and then wash and rinse wheels and tires, you will get water back on to the car during the rinse step and it's no big deal but then you have to dry the wet sections again and to me this is repeating a step. I'm lazy. I HATE doing thing over.

The order you wash your car is RELATIVE so work smarter instead of harder and avoid the risk for water spots and simply start at the wheels and tires and then move to the top of the car. I practice this myself and teach this in all my classes.

But... your choice.

I believe this should be a good way to keep the car clean and locked in for at least 2 months.
    If you don't drive in the rain, then kind of but any driving will make the car become dirty as it is exposed to our dirty world.

My question is since I'm spraying a sio2 coating on the car (the wet coat). Is there any good type of product to use as a spot cleaner/quick detailer? Is it fine to just use whatever QD you have lying around such as meguiars, etc?
    You can use anything. I have a coated car and I life the BLACKFIRE Ceramic Coating Booster spray. It's water based and restores the glassy look to a coated car, the slippery feel and the actual protection.

I also have clay if needed but i don't think the car needs it at all.
    Do the Baggie Test, it will tell you...

The Baggie Test as seen on Competition Ready TV with AJ and Mike Phillips

5. Likes FrankS liked this post
    Mike Phillips

7. Thanks edwelly thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

BTW What kind of car did you get?
    2018 Colorado ZR2