autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Argh! What the heck did I do wrong?

Hey guys! First off, I've been a part of this forum for a while but this is my first time posting in quite some time. So apologies if this is in the wrong section but I do plan on being here more often now. The reason I'm posting is because after the second time washing a new car, I'm noticing more swirl marks and it's becoming very annoying These pics might not fully capture what I'm referring to but could anyone help me out?

Argh! What the heck did I do wrong?-img_8532-jpg

The car only has about 6k miles and only gets driven mostly on weekends but I'm convinced it won't be long before I have to whip out the M105/205 again when I get my DA polisher working again. Anyways, any help will be greatly appreciated

Tools used:

2016 Cayenne (Black)
    Duragloss 902
    Two buckets from Home Depot
    Mothers wash mitt
    Meguiar's Yellow Wax #26
    Rain-X
    Cobra waffles and microfiber towels
    Water

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Argh! What the heck did I do wrong?

looks like it could be washing but more drying induced marring. is the paint soft?

Post Thanks / Like

6K on clock? How long did you have the car?

Hard to say. If you are doing the 2 bucket method, and towels are soft and free of contaminates you should be ok.
    Again hard to see but are those holograms?
    It could be that the wax with "fillers" hiding the swirls are wearing off.
    Just a guess. Hard to say without more information.

Either way---time to start the DA!

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Way too many potential causes here to list them. You say whip out the polisher again, so I'm assuming you have gone over her with some 205 before?

In the end, what it appears to me, as TMQ noted, some look to be holograms which are likely from a dealer prepping the car and the spiderweb'ish swirls are perhaps from technique and poor quality towels.

I have a pure black Audi and the key is to focus on technique. Especially while drying. Once fully corrected, I've found great success keeping the car coated. Seems to really take the sensitivity to micro marring down to near zero. More later as the thread unfolds.

My insight for now would be to fully correct her and coat her. Doubtful you'll need to compound it. Just a good polish really.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

If the paint id soft(like a lot of porchse) do not use M205. M205 has the tendency to haze soft black paint. If some will disagree with my experience, ask Mike Phillips as well.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Guessing it's dealer installed swirls. But again---not enough background info re timelines with you and the car.
    Stuff that is hiding the mess is coming off...

Soft paint? Then attack the job designed for soft paint. Just don't go grabbing anything yet! Find out what you need to address soft paint. Polish/equipment/pads etc...

Don't ask me how I know!!! Grin! 17 hours is too long to find out you used the wrong stuff on soft paint!!!! And boy did that hurt!

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

As others have said, it looks like what was previously applied is starting to wear off. Dealers use a heavy glaze type wax to cover stuff like that and it wears off.

Where in FL are you? Lots of people around that might be able to help.

Post Thanks / Like

Bingo Ron! I'd love to hear he's in Tampa Bay. There have been a couple of suggestions I'm leaning towards as in dealer installed and now showing or his wash and/or dry methods. Gotta be an easy fix I would think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    looks like it could be washing but more drying induced marring. is the paint soft?
    Honestly I have no idea. Anyway I could find out for sure? I haven't used my polisher on it yet because I didn't think it'd need it.

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    6K on clock? How long did you have the car?

Hard to say. If you are doing the 2 bucket method, and towels are soft and free of contaminates you should be ok.
    Again hard to see but are those holograms?
    It could be that the wax with "fillers" hiding the swirls are wearing off.
    Just a guess. Hard to say without more information.

Either way---time to start the DA!

Tom
    More like 6k and some change. Closer to 7k actually but we've had the car since January and the dealer did say it was a loaner car before so I'm guessing you might be onto something as far as the fillers wearing off. And yes, I do believe they are holograms. They're a bit subtle but I notice them in the sun.

Thanks for the responses guys. I hope these pics can help out.

Argh! What the heck did I do wrong?-img_8544-jpg
    Argh! What the heck did I do wrong?-img_8546-jpg

https://youtu.be/xZTMND_EvOQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Way too many potential causes here to list them. You say whip out the polisher again, so I'm assuming you have gone over her with some 205 before?

In the end, what it appears to me, as TMQ noted, some look to be holograms which are likely from a dealer prepping the car and the spiderweb'ish swirls are perhaps from technique and poor quality towels.

I have a pure black Audi and the key is to focus on technique. Especially while drying. Once fully corrected, I've found great success keeping the car coated. Seems to really take the sensitivity to micro marring down to near zero. More later as the thread unfolds.

My insight for now would be to fully correct her and coat her. Doubtful you'll need to compound it. Just a good polish really.
    No, I've used compound and a polish on other cars I've worked on in the past but this car has never seen my DA polisher or any finishing polish. I'm sure it will as soon as I stop being lazy and order a new backing plate.

Quote Originally Posted by ronkh57 View Post
    As others have said, it looks like what was previously applied is starting to wear off. Dealers use a heavy glaze type wax to cover stuff like that and it wears off.

Where in FL are you? Lots of people around that might be able to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    Bingo Ron! I'd love to hear he's in Tampa Bay. There have been a couple of suggestions I'm leaning towards as in dealer installed and now showing or his wash and/or dry methods. Gotta be an easy fix I would think.
    Negative, I'm Jax/NE Fl. But I think you guys are right about the fillers. Question, are these fillers we're talking about similar to using a glaze? I'm still new to the scene.